No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think that it was posted that Coach Smith was one of the people who posted on turk181's obit https://www.seamonwilseyfuneralhome....Robert-Tammany

RPI hockey will miss one of the best fans ever of our RPI hockey team. Bob was passionate and supportive and known by coaches, players and everyone at Houston Field House. In the last few weeks Bob watched some great games and let us know of his forever passion for the Cherry and Red.
    With much love, Rest In Peace our friend,
    RPI Hockey.
    So did Pierre Langevin (RPI '85)
    Mes plus sincères condoléances à la famille
    Pierre Langevin Class of 85 RPI
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      Can someone point me to a reliable source that supports this claim? To be brutally honest, it sounds like the "more votes than residents" claim we heard about the election that proved to be 100% false. Certainly I don't know of any state with anywhere near as many positive cases as residents. Primarily we know two things about this disease: (1) It isn't as bad as the worst case scenarios that were painted (millions dead); and (2) It's far worse than the best case (no worse than the flu) scenarios. We have seen that it has an ability to fill ICU beds and tie up our medical system in a manner that hasn't been recorded in my lifetime. Given the fiasco that has been this college hockey season (at least here in the East) so far, I have no problem with cancelling our season. I still have a problem with preventing our team from the basics such as small group skills training, strength training, etc.
      Work your way around this site - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

You can look at countries, click on USA and work around the states or even click on a state and check out a few counties. Several, even many, support more tests than people in given areas. Small example from my personal search. The population of Hamilton County NY (where we have a house and live much of the time) is 4611. That has remained relatively stable for years. The total number of tests now reported is 4704 (93 more than the total population). What is being done is that people who are tested more than once (and in some cases, many times more than once as they are tested frequently and in some cases DAILY) are counted as a new test. If they are frequently tested, often it is because they are positive upon the first test and it is repeated in a few days and then perhaps several times more. Each positive test, made upon the same person, can be reported as a positive test. This clouds the meaning of the statistics as we really need to know how many confirmed cases of the virus is in the community. Does simply having a positive blood test mean someone has an active case? And if that same person is tested 7 times in one week and 5 of those tests are positive, do we have 5 confirmed cases? I have been in medicine for a very long time and kept informed of CDC data on a fairly constant basis. I have no clue what any of these numbers are beginning to mean.
      Interesting that these charts have shown China reporting between 5 and 20 new cases daily but not one single new death in months! Even though they maintain that several are listed in critical condition. We have to admit that the medical care in the USA is at least the equal of most of the world, yet many so called backward third world nations maintain a much lower percentage of new deaths relative to cases than we do. Lies, d@mn lies and statistics!!!!
      Another point to look at is if this pandemic is truly one with high mortality, then we should expect that overall mortality in the USA should be far higher this year than in previous years without the pandemic. I do not have all the figures as yet, but it looks like even in the age groups that are most severely affected (70+), the overall mortality rate is little changed so far. Not sure what this signifies but perhaps most of the people dying with COVID positive tests are people who are actually dying from other causes who just also have COVID. After all, the life expectancy here as of now has not changed all that much and people over a certain age do in fact die. I would love to see the number of deaths reported broken down by age groups of those who have passed away with COVID who do not have at least 2 or 3 underlying severe conditions that in themselves cause high mortality. i cannot of course speak for anywhere else but here in Ocean County NJ we have seen 1200 reported deaths from COVID including a large number in the Hassidic Orthodox community in Lakewood NJ. I have attended at the 4 largest hospitals in the county and have found virtually all to be over the age of 65 and almost all to have at least 2 severe comorbidities.
      Again, just my opinion, but we need a lot more analysis of this pandemic which has brought such fear to the public. And now back to hockey - Raelly wish we can get to see this team on the ice playing as coach Smith seems to be able to still keep some very good recruits interested in Troy and i think we have the nucleus of something special.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        And now back to hockey - Raelly wish we can get to see this team on the ice playing as coach Smith seems to be able to still keep some very good recruits interested in Troy and i think we have the nucleus of something special.
        Agreed. And it was a brilliant move to send Zach Dubinsky to Salmon Arm to assist in the effort. ;-D
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Forgot yesterday. :-o

Today is 13 December 2020. There are 293 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 14 December 2020. There are 292 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Would like to think students would hear word this week from RPI admins, on if the facilities will be open and if juniors (hockey jr's) will be open/allowed back on campus Spring semester to skate/train. The number of jr's will be very low. Have to figure with Savory gone, and the Euros probably staying home this semester, it would only be 6 jr's to skate/train on campus?? I have heard of some others entering transfer portal, although my guess is those entering probably not part of the big plans past '21-22 season. Trying to figure out who stays/goes for the extra year that was granted by NCAA to accommodate scholarships is a big factor and in trying to keep incoming classes on track. Tough spot for the coaching staff to be in.

Some nice recruiting wins for Dave and staff the past 10 days.

Comment

• Here’s a question for everyone....how much of a factor did the decision to NOT play in 20-21 factor in to a recruits and parent’s decision? Obviously, the parents want to see a school put the safety of a student first. Even though it may not have been done in a great way, it still looks, to a parent, that safety and students first......
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                  Here’s a question for everyone....how much of a factor did the decision to NOT play in 20-21 factor in to a recruits and parent’s decision? Obviously, the parents want to see a school put the safety of a student first. Even though it may not have been done in a great way, it still looks, to a parent, that safety and students first......
                  That is a good question. I don't know the answer, but it probably depends upon the person. I also would think that it depends, at least in part, upon the player's and their parents' opinion of the severity of the pandemic.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post
                    Would like to think students would hear word this week from RPI admins, on if the facilities will be open and if juniors (hockey jr's) will be open/allowed back on campus Spring semester to skate/train. The number of jr's will be very low. Have to figure with Savory gone, and the Euros probably staying home this semester, it would only be 6 jr's to skate/train on campus?? I have heard of some others entering transfer portal, although my guess is those entering probably not part of the big plans past '21-22 season. Trying to figure out who stays/goes for the extra year that was granted by NCAA to accommodate scholarships is a big factor and in trying to keep incoming classes on track. Tough spot for the coaching staff to be in.

Some nice recruiting wins for Dave and staff the past 10 days.
                    Would you happen to know the names of the others who have entered the transfer portal?

Comment

• Today is 15 December 2020. There are 291 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Work your way around this site - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

You can look at countries, click on USA and work around the states or even click on a state and check out a few counties. Several, even many, support more tests than people in given areas. Small example from my personal search. The population of Hamilton County NY (where we have a house and live much of the time) is 4611. That has remained relatively stable for years. The total number of tests now reported is 4704 (93 more than the total population). What is being done is that people who are tested more than once (and in some cases, many times more than once as they are tested frequently and in some cases DAILY) are counted as a new test. If they are frequently tested, often it is because they are positive upon the first test and it is repeated in a few days and then perhaps several times more. Each positive test, made upon the same person, can be reported as a positive test. This clouds the meaning of the statistics as we really need to know how many confirmed cases of the virus is in the community. Does simply having a positive blood test mean someone has an active case? And if that same person is tested 7 times in one week and 5 of those tests are positive, do we have 5 confirmed cases? I have been in medicine for a very long time and kept informed of CDC data on a fairly constant basis. I have no clue what any of these numbers are beginning to mean.
                        Interesting that these charts have shown China reporting between 5 and 20 new cases daily but not one single new death in months! Even though they maintain that several are listed in critical condition. We have to admit that the medical care in the USA is at least the equal of most of the world, yet many so called backward third world nations maintain a much lower percentage of new deaths relative to cases than we do. Lies, d@mn lies and statistics!!!!
                        Another point to look at is if this pandemic is truly one with high mortality, then we should expect that overall mortality in the USA should be far higher this year than in previous years without the pandemic. I do not have all the figures as yet, but it looks like even in the age groups that are most severely affected (70+), the overall mortality rate is little changed so far. Not sure what this signifies but perhaps most of the people dying with COVID positive tests are people who are actually dying from other causes who just also have COVID. After all, the life expectancy here as of now has not changed all that much and people over a certain age do in fact die. I would love to see the number of deaths reported broken down by age groups of those who have passed away with COVID who do not have at least 2 or 3 underlying severe conditions that in themselves cause high mortality. i cannot of course speak for anywhere else but here in Ocean County NJ we have seen 1200 reported deaths from COVID including a large number in the Hassidic Orthodox community in Lakewood NJ. I have attended at the 4 largest hospitals in the county and have found virtually all to be over the age of 65 and almost all to have at least 2 severe comorbidities.
                        Again, just my opinion, but we need a lot more analysis of this pandemic which has brought such fear to the public. And now back to hockey - Raelly wish we can get to see this team on the ice playing as coach Smith seems to be able to still keep some very good recruits interested in Troy and i think we have the nucleus of something special.
                        Thanks for your response. I wondered if your earlier statement about postive tests exceeding population was a typo. It appears that you meant total tests exceeding population, which has, in fact, happened. Beyond that you raise some very good questions. Regarding how multiple positives are reported, it's my understanding that health departments draw a distinction between positive tests (can be multiple per person) and cases (only once). They can do that because, at the local level where they can perform contact tracing, data is kept per person. Once the data is reported to the CDC, it is not longer personally identifiable, so the data is reported as total positives (out of total test count) and new cases. If anyone has heard otherwise I'd like to hear it. It does appear that there is a lot of confusion on how the data is collected and the degree of uniformity.

As for cause of death, isn't it common to report immediate and co-morbidities on death certificates? You would obviously know more than I but I understood it was common when they throw out statements like "the flu causes 30K - 60K deaths per year" that is the number of cases where flu was cited as a cause on the death certificate but there are often co-morbidities there as well. Since doctors are generally not able to see the future, much less hypotheticals in the future, they can observe that that an active disease may combine with a pre-existing condition leading to death but in most cases they lack the ability to reliably forecast when that condition might have led to death on its own. As you noted a better macro measure may be to just measure mortality rates or the number of "excess deaths" during the pandemic. When the pandemic started we saw reports that claimed excess deaths were much greater than the SARS-CoV-2 death totals, but now we see reports (including the JHU report that was withdrawn but is all over the Internet) claiming the opposite, that there are relatively few or no excess deaths. I guess we'll have to wait and see once this is over and thorough, hopefully less politically charged analyses can be done.

As for hockey, I too am excited about some of our new recruits. Smith may have some tough decisions to make in the coming years as he juggles a pretty full roster that just gained another year of eligibility with a constant need for new blood.

Comment

• FWIW, The NY Times website shows that Hamilton County, NY has had a total of 68 cases of Covid-19 https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...es.html#county. They don't mention how many tests there have been, but it seems to me unlikely that they have counted people twice. There has been exactly one death there https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...es.html#county.

To attempt to get on topic, they show RPI with a total of 34 cases https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-tracker.html. (Click on New York or better start typing Rensselaer in the search box.) The small color graph on the right shows it increasing recently. For DrD's benefit, there have been 10 at Albany Med.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

Would you happen to know the names of the others who have entered the transfer portal?
                            I do have names, but will let process play out.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                              Here’s a question for everyone....how much of a factor did the decision to NOT play in 20-21 factor in to a recruits and parent’s decision? Obviously, the parents want to see a school put the safety of a student first. Even though it may not have been done in a great way, it still looks, to a parent, that safety and students first......
                              Hockey is a tight-knit community...parents undoubtedly have heard about the lack of communication with the athletes by the administration...as evidenced by Billy jerry's twitter letter confirming what many of us had heard around town...that being that the athletes had NO idea what was going on. Quote: "Throughout the summer and since our arrive on campus there has been a lack of transparency from the institution and we feel that clarity and communication could have prevented this confusion." So if anything, the school's action hinders Coach Smith and Co. recruiting... IMO.

I couldn't help but notice driving by Albany Academy that they have ice and Union continues to skate.....yet RPI isn't. Sad.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Today is 16 December 2020. There are 290 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X