This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    Hockey East opened its season this evening. Three games were on the schedule: UNH at BC, UMass at Maine, and UConn at UVM.

Only one game was actually played, and it wasn't one of the three that were scheduled. Apparently after Maine and UVM decided not to play, UMass and UConn arranged a matchup at the last minute and played this evening in Amherst.

Have to wonder how likely it is that Hockey East will actually be able to continue playing games into the second semester. I hope for Owen Savory's sake that he didn't transfer away from RPI only to find that he won't be able to play any games at UMass-Lowell, either.
    I presume Owen remains enrolled at RPI until the end of final exams. If HE or UML were to throw in the towel in the next 4 weeks I suppose it's possible he could just not enroll in Lowell. However, that is extremely unlikely and, even if the games are cancelled the HE schools would probably at least do some on ice work and have time with coaches. Quite honestly, I could understand Shirley's decision on games and travel but I don't know why they can't do work in small groups with coaching on and off the ice. Owen seems to be a guy that thrives on work - note how his play improved in both his years with us to the point that he was a 60 minutes every game brick wall at the end of the season - so it must drive him nuts not to have any access to the ice.

Comment

• In honor of Morgan Ondrick, today is 21 November 2020. There are 315 days (45 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I presume Owen remains enrolled at RPI until the end of final exams. If HE or UML were to throw in the towel in the next 4 weeks I suppose it's possible he could just not enroll in Lowell. However, that is extremely unlikely and, even if the games are cancelled the HE schools would probably at least do some on ice work and have time with coaches. Quite honestly, I could understand Shirley's decision on games and travel but I don't know why they can't do work in small groups with coaching on and off the ice. Owen seems to be a guy that thrives on work - note how his play improved in both his years with us to the point that he was a 60 minutes every game brick wall at the end of the season - so it must drive him nuts not to have any access to the ice.
        That situation also crossed my mind, but I decided that it won't happen. :-(
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I don't quite understand. Do you mean that Owen is still enrolled at RPI on a scholarship and will be playing hockey for UMass Lowell? How is that possible?
          Can someone explain that?
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Chris Onorato interviewing coach Smith yesterday
            https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWVlRBWDJQ
            Thanks. Great to hear about hockey.

Comment

• When you enter the transfer portal I would have to think you are agreeing to attend the school you transfer to. What type of deal Savory got re scholarship at UML is not known. I can’t imagine UML will honor RPI’s offer if they don’t have a scholarship to offer. As to Savory returning if the grass isn’t greener at UML, I imagine Smith would take him in a heartbeat, but I can’t see the NCAA allowing players to do that. It would be a major headache for all involved. I imagine another goalie at UML got screwed in this deal i.e. will get zero playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I don't quite understand. Do you mean that Owen is still enrolled at RPI on a scholarship and will be playing hockey for UMass Lowell? How is that possible?
                Can someone explain that?
                I'm sure he's finishing the semester at RPI under whatever scholarship/aid/out-of-pocket arrangement that has already paid for his courses. He'll then enroll for the spring semester based on his scholarship/aid/out-of-pocket agreement at UM-L and petition for immediate eligibility. Even if he withdrew from RPI and went straight to UM-L I don't think he could play or practice until their semester has ended because he wouldn't be an enrolled student for this term. If the waiver is approved he should be able to play late next month (before actually taking UM-L classes under the same principle that let's many freshman football players practice and play before their first actual college class).

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  When you enter the transfer portal I would have to think you are agreeing to attend the school you transfer to. What type of deal Savory got re scholarship at UML is not known. I can’t imagine UML will honor RPI’s offer if they don’t have a scholarship to offer. As to Savory returning if the grass isn’t greener at UML, I imagine Smith would take him in a heartbeat, but I can’t see the NCAA allowing players to do that. It would be a major headache for all involved. I imagine another goalie at UML got screwed in this deal i.e. will get zero playing time.
                  We were talking about a hypothetical scenario where UM-L cancels its season before he enrolls there. As far as I know there's no NLI for transfers so I think he actually could come back. However, it's very unlikely so we were having more of a theoretical discussion than one based on Owen's reality.
                  Last edited by rpi82; 11-21-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• From the amount of games which have already been postponed, I cannot completely disagree with RPI cancelling the season, however, as others have said, the players should still have been allowed to practice and exercise on campus.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From the amount of games which have already been postponed, I cannot completely disagree with RPI cancelling the season, however, as others have said, the players should still have been allowed to practice and exercise on campus.
                      I'm watching the USC-Utah football game. It's the weekend before Thanksgiving and Utah is playing its first game of the year (after 2 cancellations). They will play, at most, 4 games in their regular season. Calling that a season is a bit of a joke. So I can't really blame an administration that feels the risks exceed the benefits. However, make the most of it for the players and coaching staff by letting them work together. They didn't cancel the big lecture classes like Chem I and say "not only can't you take the class, but you can't work with the professors." Instead they made adjustments. I'm sure the players and coaches can adjust by working in position groups or other dissections of the roster to keep everyone healthy.

Comment

• In honor of Delaney Weiss, today is 22 November 2020. There are 314 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• copied from this post https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...02#post3619702 on the UML threadLowell Sun article on Owen Savory.

Savory verbally commits to UML

Goalie will transfer from RPI

By Barry Scanlon

Correspondent

Goaltender U. has netted another top player.

UMass Lowell, long known for producing quality goaltenders, has landed a verbal commitment from Owen Savory, who decided to transfer from RPI after the Troy, N.Y., school announced, due to the pandemic, it would not play hockey during the 2020-21 season.

He’s considered a huge get for UML after he opted to join the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Savory will take classes at RPI until December. Unknown is when he will be eligible to play for UMass Lowell. In a best- case scenario, Savory will be eligible to play after Christmas. There’s a chance, though, he won’t become eligible until next September or December.

UML head coach Norm Bazin wasn’t able to comment on Savory because student hasn’t been officially accepted into the university.

Savory, 23, had two terrific seasons at RPI. The native

of Cambridge, Ont., was named an ECAC Second Team performer after an outstanding sophomore season which saw him rank in the top 10 in two categories.

Savory was tied for third in the nation with five shutouts and tied for seventh with a .932 save percentage. He went 13- 9-2 with a 2.06 goals against average as RPI made a nice turnaround. He allowed one goal or fewer in 11 games.

Savory did not play last season when UMass Lowell skated past RPI, 4- 0.

But he does have fond memories of playing at the Tsongas Center. He made his first collegiate start at UMass Lowell. He was superb, kicking aside 26 of 27 shots in RPI’s 2-1 victory.

Two days later, in Troy, N.Y., UML defeated Savory and RPI, 5-2. Savory made 30 saves that day.

Under Bazin, UML has featured outstanding goalies. Connor Hellebuyck is the gold standard. Hellethe buyck, who played two seasons at UML, has reached NHL stardom with the Winnipeg Jets. He recently was named the Vezina Trophy winner for being the NHL’s top goaltender.

Hellebuyck’s not the lone success story. Kevin Boyle transferred from UMass Amherst to UMass Lowell with little fanfare. Then he produced two solid seasons, his last one earning him co- Hockey East Player of the Year honors. His pro career has included five NHL games.

Then Tyler Wall took over. Wall graduated this past spring after winning more Division 1 games

than any goalie in UML’s history.

UML returns four of its top six scorers and all of its defensemen. Inexperience in net was expected to be the team’s major question mark. Sophomore Logan Neaton started only two games as a freshman. Current freshman Henry Welsch has no college games under his belt.

The arrival of Savory will give the River Hawks experience between the pipes, whenever he becomes eligible.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• [In honor of Taylor Larsen, today is 23 November 2020. There are 313 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From the amount of games which have already been postponed, I cannot completely disagree with RPI cancelling the season, however, as others have said, the players should still have been allowed to practice and exercise on campus.
                              I listened to Ken Schott's interviews with both RPI and Union coaches and staff. It should be noted that Union indicated that the players WILL be allowed to practice/skate/workout together upon their return to campus after the holidays. So if RPI doesn't reverse their decision to allow teams to practice, the players will fall even further behind in skill development.... Given the level of testing occurring on campus at RPI, there really isn't any sound reason to prevent the players from skating and working out.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I listened to Ken Schott's interviews with both RPI and Union coaches and staff. It should be noted that Union indicated that the players WILL be allowed to practice/skate/workout together upon their return to campus after the holidays. So if RPI doesn't reverse their decision to allow teams to practice, the players will fall even further behind in skill development.... Given the level of testing occurring on campus at RPI, there really isn't any sound reason to prevent the players from skating and working out.
                                Any glimmer of hope in those interviews that one or both would reverse their decisions ala RIT?

Comment

Working...
                                X