RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by woodenskates View Post

I don't think that Union has decided not to play. I am told that they have been practicing and working out as thought they expect to play some games this year
    Mongo has been quoted in the Daily Gazette as being hopeful they can play games (paraphrasing) ....though he was far from certain as to how the decision would go.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
      For the roster outlook. The remaining 6 players with junior eligibility will return to juniors. As for the rest of the team, it seems that Savory will leave and try to play immediately. Other than that I have no idea what will happen to the other players. Rosters are set in stone around nearly the entire country. Savory is a top goaltender in the country, so he'd be able to land somewhere, but I don't think any of the other players could at this point. My guess is that we will be able to keep most of the roster because of this, but the best players will be wildcards.
      I suspect you are right. The larger exposure for sure is the recruits in the pipeline ....as the roster bottlenecks across D1 will likely cause plenty of upheaval in commitments.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Are you sure that the remaining players with junior eligibility will do so? It might be hard to get a spot at this time, and I haven't seen a lot of Ivy players doing so.
        Exactly right RB. The Jr. rosters are already clogged with kids who slotted in when their pro and/or D1 season schedules imploded. I know there at least a few Major Jr. kids playing in the BCHL to simply have the opportunity to skate and play games.

Comment

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Per college hockey news....."Long term for RPI hockey, this is a major blow," Smith said.

No doubt. Appears to be a complete mess internally.
          This is the same language received in an email from Smith last night and is the one that should make everyone sit up straight. This decision will echo for years...not months .

Comment

These players (all athletes) have been strung along and mistreated by the person in charge of the outfit since they arrived back in Troy in August......no voice directly with the AD until today. Are you kidding me???.....
            Totally agree and this is my major complaint. I can live with the decision, but there is no such thing as zero risk. Even with a vaccine there is no way of knowing how long it will be effective...so are we just saying goodbye to college athletics because of some risk that WILL be out there even with a vaccine ? Let the kids decide with their parents. All athletes have the option to opt out. Schools go out of their way to proclaim how they are molding smart, educated young men and women - and this is no more true than it is at RPI and throughout the ECAC - they truly are unique student athletes. RPI then goes out and maintains radio silence for three months (ZERO information from the AD re: winter sports) and proceeds to IGNORE these very same young adults when a decision such as this is made.

So they are expected to go out and "Change the World" once the graduate but they aren't trustworthy enough to be part of this decision ? Hypocrisy personified.

Comment

• I wonder with all the sentiment the program is going to suffer tremendously...I get that this is a major setback, but RPI is hardly alone here. Every program is suffering, even the ones playing now, albeit to a lesser degree. And it has been pointed out that Junior programs and all the way down the line to youth hockey will suffer. But there are only so many D1 programs out there (and fewer next year). The pipeline is filled with players who want to play at the next level. Everyone will be hungry for the return of hockey. Like many businesses that have closed or suffered, the demand will need to be met. Do you pick up the pieces, lick your wounds, and move on? Or throw in the towel? I could see the latter at a school with only a recent history of playing college hockey. But not a school with a long, experienced tradition like RPI. I am optimistic.

Comment

Thanks to engineerhockeyfan for the thread title suggestion. In case anyone wanders here and doesn't know what the thread title refers to, USCHO poster and RPI fan turk181 recently passed away. Here is his obituary: https://www.seamonwilseyfuneralhome....Robert-Tammany

Previous thread https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...ason-cancelled
                So sorry for his passing. He looked to be great guy and great fan.

Comment

• Union will not be playing this year..........

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                    I wonder with all the sentiment the program is going to suffer tremendously...I get that this is a major setback, but RPI is hardly alone here. Every program is suffering, even the ones playing now, albeit to a lesser degree. And it has been pointed out that Junior programs and all the way down the line to youth hockey will suffer. But there are only so many D1 programs out there (and fewer next year). The pipeline is filled with players who want to play at the next level. Everyone will be hungry for the return of hockey. Like many businesses that have closed or suffered, the demand will need to be met. Do you pick up the pieces, lick your wounds, and move on? Or throw in the towel? I could see the latter at a school with only a recent history of playing college hockey. But not a school with a long, experienced tradition like RPI. I am optimistic.
                    Well one immediately pressing question which, if there were actual beat reporters they might ask is -- what becomes of the coaching staff, trainers, Dane McGuane ?? I believe all of them were furloughed over the summer. If they are facing that reality again then I am sure they will be rethinking their employment at RPI. You can bet you that other programs that choose to not play will find a way to take care of their staff. Does anyone think Mike Shafer is not going to look out for his staff ? I have zero confidence that RPI is prepared to step up for their coaching personnel over the next 10 months or so....I sure hope I 'm wrong.

Comment

Union will not be playing this year..........
                      https://unionathletics.com/news/2020...ey-season.aspx
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• RIT hockey back in action......I commend their administration for taking a step back and looking at the big picture.......most students off campus from Thanksgiving thru late January for a "lightly populated campus" and a safer environment. And, the return to play plan submitted to New York state for review and approval.

https://ritathletics.com/news/2020/1...ey-update.aspx

Comment

• Tweet by Billy JErry https://***********/Billyjerry__12/s...98319397769216

The @RPI administration has been provided with this statement. We look forward to working on a solution together. @chnews @Buccigross

It includes this picture which is a statement that echoes my feelings. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnDXBydW...jpg&name=small
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RIT hockey back in action......I commend their administration for taking a step back and looking at the big picture.......most students off campus from Thanksgiving thru late January for a "lightly populated campus" and a safer environment. And, the return to play plan submitted to New York state for review and approval.

https://ritathletics.com/news/2020/1...ey-update.aspx

Correct, however they sounded very definitive just days ago. Now they have suddenly "reconsidered". Are we to accept as gospel that Atlantic Hockey did not reconsider for them. As in get your bleeping cabooses on the bleeping ice or don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Not all conferences are run like the ECAC who appear to have little control of members who do not act as members of a conference and who have commitments to the other members they need to live up to. Most other conferences make it quite clear that either you act for the benefit of the group or else.

Any doubt, see Nebraska of the Big 10 who have recently tried twice to buck their conference. They were brought under control very quickly both times. In all fairness, however, the ECAC does not have an annual payment of 54 million to EACH member that tends to keep rouges under control.

Comment

• Originally posted by vicious View Post

I wonder what this means for the league and whether they'll try to do a season with just 5 teams.

Make that 4 teams. What that means for the league long term remains to be seen. Frankly, four that want to play and eight that want to run to the tall timber is probably too big a schism to over come. There just does not appear to be a sufficient meeting of the minds to continue as a conference as presently constructed.

A more than remote possibility (and one I would place a wager on) would be what happened to the Southwest Conference some 25 years ago. Once they were the gold standard for college football through at least the mid 1970's. Today they no longer exist.

Everything was hunky dory until the dirty SMU program got the NCAA death penalty which left a gaping hole in all the other members conference schedules while everyone else was in the midst of their own conference schedules. Thus, open dates were not fillable and lots of revenue went up in smoke. Guess this would equate to the present where programs have given themselves the death penalty except there are now eight instead of just one.

Then Arkansas, the only non Texas based school in the conference, tired of being a red headed step child (with a gaping hole in their schedule) and they wanted out. Guess that would equate to the present of being a non IVY in the ECAC.

Obviously, the good old Southwest started taking on a lot of water and eventually sank. Today, the old Southwest members (believe it was 9 at it's largest point) are spread over four different conferences.

See a very similar eventuality for the present ECAC.

Comment

If you didn't include Union in the 5, who else are you including besides CCT, SLU, QU, and Colgate?
                                I should have known that semantics plays into your vocabulary Ralphie. To explain, I did not include Union as a 5th team in the 4 teams I posted in #244!
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X