No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In honor of Sara Bayne, today is 22 October 2020. There are 36 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 27 November 2020 (day after Thanksgiving) for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In honor of Emilie Venne, today is 23 October 2020. There are 35 days (5 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 27 November 2020 (day after Thanksgiving) for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Anyone else concerned about the season not happening? Seems SJ has the entire student body at bay and not allowing access to any facilities. Certainly the concern of an outbreak has to be a non factor given there has been 55K plus tests since August and only 8 positives, zero hospilizations. From my research via the net, RPI appears to one of the few hockey schools or only school, with no access to weight room and/or on campus ice and such strict guidelines such as two students/one bathroom. (I understand there was mechanical issues at Fieldhouse, but little effort from top to get repairs done in a timely manner.) Thus, the player development with coaches is zero. Sophes are at home training on their own, others have decided to spend semester at home and train. Can't imagine the mental toll this is having on students/athletes. Hearing rumors that players in Troy cannot even access any gear/sticks and they are having to skate away from campus at their own expense. Seems a bit odd to me, but appears little effort from SJ to allow some sort of return to practice/play for hockey or any other athlete in Troy.

No word from our AD regarding potential schedule/ECAC play, no announcement of captains etc leads me to believe the the dictatorship from the top is in full force.

I may be way odd base here, but if SJ pulls plug on an RPI season, the program will suffer in many areas for a very long time.

Thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post
          Anyone else concerned about the season not happening? Seems SJ has the entire student body at bay and not allowing access to any facilities. Certainly the concern of an outbreak has to be a non factor given there has been 55K plus tests since August and only 8 positives, zero hospilizations. From my research via the net, RPI appears to one of the few hockey schools or only school, with no access to weight room and/or on campus ice and such strict guidelines such as two students/one bathroom. (I understand there was mechanical issues at Fieldhouse, but little effort from top to get repairs done in a timely manner.) Thus, the player development with coaches is zero. Sophes are at home training on their own, others have decided to spend semester at home and train. Can't imagine the mental toll this is having on students/athletes. Hearing rumors that players in Troy cannot even access any gear/sticks and they are having to skate away from campus at their own expense. Seems a bit odd to me, but appears little effort from SJ to allow some sort of return to practice/play for hockey or any other athlete in Troy.

No word from our AD regarding potential schedule/ECAC play, no announcement of captains etc leads me to believe the the dictatorship from the top is in full force.

I may be way odd base here, but if SJ pulls plug on an RPI season, the program will suffer in many areas for a very long time.

Thoughts??
          I viewed the ticket survey/solicitation from Sachi as a positive -- at least that they were allowing them to gauge interest. To my knowledge all of the ECAC teams including the Ivies are now skating /practicing --at least in l groups -- so if in fact RPI is not skating at all at HFH, that would be disappointing.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I viewed the ticket survey/solicitation from Sachi as a positive -- at least that they were allowing them to gauge interest. To my knowledge all of the ECAC teams including the Ivies are now skating /practicing --at least in l groups -- so if in fact RPI is not skating at all at HFH, that would be disappointing.
            RPI is not currently practicing. The ice isn't down and the institute hasn't approved their return to practice plan for god knows what reason

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post

RPI is not currently practicing. The ice isn't down and the institute hasn't approved their return to practice plan for god knows what reason
              No one wants a hockey season more than I do, but school districts across the country are going back to remote learning. We are at the beginning of a new surge of virus infections. It is not a hoax and it is not turning a corner. SJ is doing her job. Trying to keep students safe.
              I wonder what the comments would be if there was an outbreak on the team.
              Stay healthy and be around for when a season finally does get underway.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Thoughts??
                Really am of the opinion that if they do not put their sports entertainment product out for an entire academic cycle they will become utterly irrelevant in the local sports scene. Especially since everyone else around here (Siena, U Albany and Union) apparently are putting their product out complete with regular updates to their fan bases. It is already a known quantity that Union is playing Army on December 28 based on Army already releasing their schedule. Were we supposedly going to play Army this year??? Well, we are not!!!

Hopefully, the regime will wake up before it's too late. Eventually even the Big 10 and Pac 12 woke up when they realized the consequences of their actions would result in utter long term irrelevance, at least in terms of Power 5 conferences.

Of course, this assumes the regime even remotely cares to begin with. Pretty sure they do not. Sure glad I am not an athletics person working for these people these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post

Ridiculous. Even the Ivies are skating now. I suspect SJ will drag this out at least past election day. Sad.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Ordinarily that would be viewed as a positive. However, be that as it may, a very similar solicitation was put out to the two or three dozen football season ticket holders about the beginning of the summer. On June 30 football was cancelled. Meant nothing then. No idea if it means anything now.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

No one wants a hockey season more than I do, but school districts across the country are going back to remote learning. We are at the beginning of a new surge of virus infections. It is not a hoax and it is not turning a corner. SJ is doing her job. Trying to keep students safe.
                      I wonder what the comments would be if there was an outbreak on the team.
                      Stay healthy and be around for when a season finally does get underway.
                      Stay out of grocery stores, Wal-Mart, avoid church, etc? No, take the necessary precautions to remain as safe as possible. I am sure there has been many discussions and plans for student-athlete safety presented, but SJ apparently not allowing any sort of "life back to normal" scenarios. Look at the campus tests/results. I'd say the students/athletes are doing their part. Would there be a potential positive case on the RPI hockey team at some point? Quite possible, but at least give the kids a chance to see if a return to practice/play plan can work. And, in case of an "outbreak on the team" a very high chance of a speedy and full recovery based on the age of the student athlete.

College athletics all over the region and the country have allowed some sort of small group workouts/return to practice/play plan etc. No reason this can't happen at RPI. SJ wants groups no larger than 9 roaming/hanging out together in general on/off campus, but yet won't allow a small group to have a supervised work out with RPI athletic trainers/staff.

Comment

Ridiculous. Even the Ivies are skating now. I suspect SJ will drag this out at least past election day. Sad.
                        Yes, but look what happened at Yale. I do agree that this is playing into SJ's hand.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Stay out of grocery stores, Wal-Mart, avoid church, etc? No, take the necessary precautions to remain as safe as possible. I am sure there has been many discussions and plans for student-athlete safety presented, but SJ apparently not allowing any sort of "life back to normal" scenarios. Look at the campus tests/results. I'd say the students/athletes are doing their part. Would there be a potential positive case on the RPI hockey team at some point? Quite possible, but at least give the kids a chance to see if a return to practice/play plan can work. And, in case of an "outbreak on the team" a very high chance of a speedy and full recovery based on the age of the student athlete.

College athletics all over the region and the country have allowed some sort of small group workouts/return to practice/play plan etc. No reason this can't happen at RPI. SJ wants groups no larger than 9 roaming/hanging out together in general on/off campus, but yet won't allow a small group to have a supervised work out with RPI athletic trainers/staff.
                          Absolutely true. There's no such thing as zero risk. RPI continues to prove everyday that they're doing things the right way -- given their extremely low positivity rate and on-campus testing which they can turn around very quickly. UAlbany and Siena hoops are holding full squad (25) workouts this week.... Bottom line is there isn't any reasonable reason why on-ice small group workouts can't be happening.

Comment

Q'Pac fans reporting that word has come down that no fans will be allowed at their home games --if and when a season is played.

Comment

Absolutely true. There's no such thing as zero risk. RPI continues to prove everyday that they're doing things the right way -- given their extremely low positivity rate and on-campus testing which they can turn around very quickly. UAlbany and Siena hoops are holding full squad (25) workouts this week.... Bottom line is there isn't any reasonable reason why on-ice small group workouts can't be happening.
                              Lots of people in charge keep claiming they are following the science - but their decisions are often not based on what the science has shown. Statistics are quoted everywhere about number of cases and numbers of deaths but you have to search to find a breakdown of the numbers as to age and underlying health status. Many of the deaths reported are actually people who died with COVID but not because of it. A fairly substantial numbers of deaths early in the game were diagnoses made before we had any accurate tests and were often just guess work. I am not an infectious disease expert but 50+ years of medical practice does give one a rather decent perspective on things. Those over 70 (like myself) are at an increased risk and especially with any underlying process going on. We need to be protected (and we should avoid any unnecessary contacts and obey the mask and social distancing ideals). Those younger with underlying conditions likewise. But someone tell me why healthy people under age 40 need to wear hazmat suits for protection against something that has such a low mortality rate for them that they stand a better chance of falling in the bathtub and dying? i do not claim to know all the answers but if the pundits in charge are waiting for something like zero cases anywhere, then we will be waiting a long time indeed. Even with influenza vaccines being in use almost universally in this country for 50+ years, we still see millions of positive cases per year and an average of 40,000 deaths (and a large percentage are young people and young children and infants). Rant over.
                              PS-I have no clue what starting the hockey season will bring, but I think no one else does either.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                PS-I have no clue what starting the hockey season will bring, but I think no one else does either.
                                Don't we have at least some clue from the junior hockey leagues?

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X