No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In honor of Riena Jahnke, today is 25 October 2020. There are 33 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 27 November 2020 (day after Thanksgiving) for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

It's misleading to compare NY/NJ aggregate death rates to other states. The NY Metro area got hit first and hardest before we knew much about the disease. Per capita death rates have been falling everywhere as we learn more about the disease and how to treat it. Other states had months to learn and prepare. If you compare the current per capita rates NY and NJ are both in the bottom ten, well below states such as TX, FL and GA that supposedly have suffered less damage to their economies but may see more on-going damage if their case and death rates stay elevated or grow faster through the next wave. Having said that, there is still far too much we don't know about how to prevent and treat this disease as well as how it will evolve. I don't think even the "experts" know the answers to the questions you asked - and won't until we actually get significant vaccine penetration across the population and extended immunity data. Even in the best case I would think that's going to take a few years so we'd better be ready to deal with this thing for a while. In the meantime we have to create public health policies that allow us to move forward socially and economically.
      Could not agree with much of your sentiment expressed here. An important consideration is whether we allow this virus to control all life and function until it MAY disappear. Unless we find that vaccines can offer long term immunity similar to those developed for some other important diseases (polio, measles, for example). Then the original goal of 'flattening the curve' is about the best we can hope for. In these modern times, we actually cannot even compare transmission rates, isolation effect, etc to the past. Modern travel has made most of those comparisons moot. Back in 1918 the oceans helped isolate entire continents (air travel being almost non existent). Even travel here in the US from one population center to another was often just too expensive or difficult for many. In today's US, we are going to see some failures of all social distancing and mask mandates. Add to that the fact that so many people either just do not know how to make proper use of masking and sterile procedures, or they do not want to go through the bother and simply slide a mask on, touch it frequently and not sanitize often enough. As a surgeon I can attest that the kind of protection needed to be effective is onerous and suspect most of the population simply will not do it properly.
      In summary, this virus will be around for a very long time (forever?) and we have to come up with far better methods to deal with it and still have a functioning life. For now, although i am hopeful, I still see much of what is being done as banging our collective heads against a wall. Your comment about the 'experts' rings quite true. One of the most intelligent teachers in medicine that I ever had once advised me to remember that only 75% of what we do is the science of medicine. 20% is the art of medicine. And 5% is just pure luck!!
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• A morning breakfast ⁦@Manorys⁩ with the ⁦@RPI_Hockey⁩ class of ‘24 to discuss #history&tradition WHO KNOWS WHAT THIS IS?

https://***********/RPI_HockeyCoach/...55290890600448
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          A morning breakfast ⁦@Manorys⁩ with the ⁦@RPI_Hockey⁩ class of ‘24 to discuss #history&tradition WHO KNOWS WHAT THIS IS?

https://***********/RPI_HockeyCoach/...55290890600448
          I have been wracking my brains over this. I know that Frank Gardiner (Pete's dad) deposited that bottle at Manory's and it will be opened whenever we win the ECAC tournament again. Of course, we haven't even gotten there in ages. Does anyone remember what caused him to do this or any other details?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 26 October 2020. There are 32 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 27 November 2020 (day after Thanksgiving) for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Could not agree with much of your sentiment expressed here. An important consideration is whether we allow this virus to control all life and function until it MAY disappear. Unless we find that vaccines can offer long term immunity similar to those developed for some other important diseases (polio, measles, for example). Then the original goal of 'flattening the curve' is about the best we can hope for. In these modern times, we actually cannot even compare transmission rates, isolation effect, etc to the past. Modern travel has made most of those comparisons moot. Back in 1918 the oceans helped isolate entire continents (air travel being almost non existent). Even travel here in the US from one population center to another was often just too expensive or difficult for many. In today's US, we are going to see some failures of all social distancing and mask mandates. Add to that the fact that so many people either just do not know how to make proper use of masking and sterile procedures, or they do not want to go through the bother and simply slide a mask on, touch it frequently and not sanitize often enough. As a surgeon I can attest that the kind of protection needed to be effective is onerous and suspect most of the population simply will not do it properly.
              In summary, this virus will be around for a very long time (forever?) and we have to come up with far better methods to deal with it and still have a functioning life. For now, although i am hopeful, I still see much of what is being done as banging our collective heads against a wall. Your comment about the 'experts' rings quite true. One of the most intelligent teachers in medicine that I ever had once advised me to remember that only 75% of what we do is the science of medicine. 20% is the art of medicine. And 5% is just pure luck!!
              Great info and views Doc. I agree that we will be dealing with this for some time to come and the idea of shutting the world down until "its gone" is delusional. The key is to be smart, use the hygiene protocols and protect the vulnerable. Hopefully the promising anti-virals and vaccines under development can curb the severity and outbreaks.

In effort to get this back to hockey, as far as I can tell RPI is the only ECAC team that is NOT skating in some shape or form, which should be of concern to all of us! The Ivies were the first league to halt athletics thru Jan. 1st and yet they are skating !!
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Great info and views Doc. I agree that we will be dealing with this for some time to come and the idea of shutting the world down until "its gone" is delusional. The key is to be smart, use the hygiene protocols and protect the vulnerable. Hopefully the promising anti-virals and vaccines under development can curb the severity and outbreaks.

In effort to get this back to hockey, as far as I can tell RPI is the only ECAC team that is NOT skating in some shape or form, which should be of concern to all of us! The Ivies were the first league to halt athletics thru Jan. 1st and yet they are skating !!
                People are not as afraid of this virus they/we once were (a lot it due to media hype in beginning). With a recovery rate very high for healthy folks, people are tired of being held down by this. Again, proper precautions need be taken, but to the point, this is never truly going away.

That being said, why in the heck are RPI athletes/students not at having access to facilities with proper protocol and supervision???? Sure hope someone's own personal views are not reason for this happening. The Yale story on 18 players testing C19 positive is not he only hockey program to deal with this. Many other programs have gone thru this, but most have not publicly stated so. They dealt with this in house, as they would with any other flu/other virus outbreak within a locker room/team, and followed their protocols.......And guess what.......100% recovery rates.

Extremely concerned there will be no RPI hockey this year.....
                Last edited by NAFTA123; 10-26-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• https://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

RPI has received 7 votes in the preseason poll. This is the same number of votes they ended last season with. :-)

Comment

• Just saw this on Twitter, Zach Dubinsky has left RPI and gone to play in the BCHL. https://www.sasilverbacks.com/silver...rom-ncaa-ranks

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post
                      Just saw this on Twitter, Zach Dubinsky has left RPI and gone to play in the BCHL. https://www.sasilverbacks.com/silver...rom-ncaa-ranks
                      Guessing he will return to RPI when/if there is a season. NCAA has approved situations like this with no penalty/loss of eligibility due to C19.

Comment

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

People are not as afraid of this virus they/we once were (a lot it due to media hype in beginning). With a recovery rate very high for healthy folks, people are tired of being held down by this. Again, proper precautions need be taken, but to the point, this is never truly going away.

That being said, why in the heck are RPI athletes/students not at having access to facilities with proper protocol and supervision???? Sure hope someone's own personal views are not reason for this happening. The Yale story on 18 players testing C19 positive is not he only hockey program to deal with this. Many other programs have gone thru this, but most have not publicly stated so. They dealt with this in house, as they would with any other flu/other virus outbreak within a locker room/team, and followed their protocols.......And guess what.......100% recovery rates.

Extremely concerned there will be no RPI hockey this year.....
                        As a follower of multiple RPI sports who lives nearby, I am no longer extremely concerned there will be no RPI hockey this year. I am already virtually 100% certain that bus has already left the terminal, season ticket solicitation not withstanding. To me, it is no longer a matter of when they decide. It is only a matter of when they get around to telling us what already has been decided. If I had any doubts, they were erased upon finding out one of our players already bolted to go back down the food chain to play junior hockey. Guess it is better to be down the food chain that not be in it at all.

The only thing I am still extremely concerned about is if there will be any RPI baseball next spring. I am not betting a whole lot there will be.

These people simply do not appear to have any desire to field athletic teams anywhere in the near future and these people does not mean athletic people by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

• I will follow Dubinsky on the recruit thread assuming he will indeed come back.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• In honor of Amanda Rampado, today is 27 October 2020. There are 31 days (1 month) until RPI's next game.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-28-2020, 01:45 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Extremely concerned there will be no RPI hockey this year....
                              If people are not as afraid of this virus as they/we once were, we are in big trouble. Over 225,000 dead and over 8.5 million infected,with the country hitting the highest infection rate to date, we should be very worried.
                              How can we beat this and get back to normal if a third of the country won't wear a mask, and 50% won't get the vaccine when it is approved.
                              There is no media hype. There are only facts.
                              I would love an RPI hockey season, but I really don't see it happening under the current conditions.
                              I totally agree that proper precautions need to be taken,but I just don't see that happening. (do you?).
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

If people are not as afraid of this virus as they/we once were, we are in big trouble. Over 225,000 dead and over 8.5 million infected,with the country hitting the highest infection rate to date, we should be very worried.
                                How can we beat this and get back to normal if a third of the country won't wear a mask, and 50% won't get the vaccine when it is approved.
                                There is no media hype. There are only facts.
                                I would love an RPI hockey season, but I really don't see it happening under the current conditions.
                                I totally agree that proper precautions need to be taken,but I just don't see that happening. (do you?).
                                So just so we are clear, the opposite of this viewpoint is what nearly EVERY other D1 hockey program and most Jr. programs are pursuing --including many prestigious institutions with storied medical, scientific and research credentials --that being a measured, thoughtful approach to a return to the ice. We don't know if there will be a season, but D1 teams are on the ice....except for RPI.

There is no such thing as zero risk or zero cases and there can be no return to some normalcy if large quantities of people remained locked in their homes. If there is no exposure, there is no herd immunity and most vaccines efficacy is in the 60% range...if you're lucky. Protect the vulnerable and elderly -- those with risk factors, the rest of society needs to get on with it. The vast majority of cases are mild or have no symptoms and the mortality rate continues to DROP--despite what the media wants us to believe. https://nyulangone.org/news/study-he...rates-covid-19

The risk of serious illness or death for a student athlete is truly miniscule. If they and their parents and coaches are willing to sign up for that small risk, then drop the damn puck. Televise the games and keep fans away if that makes Shirley feel better, but drop the damn puck !

""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X