X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidNardolillo
    replied
    Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Agree with your post. However UMASS has 100% Administration support for the program, RPI does not......
    I know you are at least partly referring to RPI's COVID response and I understand the frustration with the RPI administration's apparent attitude towards hockey--operating losses generally need to be incurred if you are going to run a competitive Division I program--but I don't think many college administrators (or alumni for that matter) would want to sign up for the UMass Amherst athletic budget in the current higher ed fiscal environment, even for a hockey championship. UMass is reportedly bleeding badly from its disastrous football program, and was apparently banking on football being profitable enough to fund other sports. UMass hockey has itself been running about a $2 million deficit each year for the last 5 years (according to Sean from BU's spreadsheet) and UMass doesn't even support a varsity women's hockey team. UMass also has non-athletic financial problems; something might have to give in the long run if the UMass football program doesn't turn it around.

I think people also realize that any college's ultimate level of support for athletics is a function of the prerogatives of the Board of Trustees, to which a President reports and which rarely seems to get mentioned in these conversations. The RPI board interest just doesn't seem to be there, unless I've missed something. I think RPI hockey may need the ol' "donor ex machina."
    Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 04-12-2021, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sezenack
    replied
    Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Not sure where you got this information. I don't see anything about it on the rpiathletics or rpi.edu website.

If it is true, then it seems unlikely that there will be any time left in the spring sports season by the time the pause is over.
    I have numerous friends on various athletics teams. Also McElroy said it himself https://twitter.com/Leemcelroy5/stat...867748355?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Waite21
    replied
    Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    RPI athletics have been put on pause due to rising COVID numbers on campus
    Not sure where you got this information. I don't see anything about it on the rpiathletics or rpi.edu website.

If it is true, then it seems unlikely that there will be any time left in the spring sports season by the time the pause is over.

Leave a comment:

• sezenack
    replied
    RPI athletics have been put on pause due to rising COVID numbers on campus

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    from Union's schedule
    Union 10/29
    home 10/30
    Mayor's Cup 1/29

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

And because of that lack of support, Smith will be starting all over again if/when we get back on the ice.
    I don't think that we can expect additional progress when we start play again. JMO
    I agree that the on-ice talent that Smitty was compiling has been dealt many blows which will set us back 2, 3 or more years...but I do agree that his changing the culture remains a plus. RPI will be fortunate if he stays long term...I can't imagine he wouldn't strongly consider other attractive offers after what Shirley has forced upon him and his players this year.

Another thing that UMass has going for it is a beautiful rink which is essentially an AHL caliber building.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Agree with your post. However UMASS has 100% Administration support for the program, RPI does not......
    And because of that lack of support, Smith will be starting all over again if/when we get back on the ice.
    I don't think that we can expect additional progress when we start play again. JMO

Leave a comment:

• NAFTA123
    replied
    UMass Win % after Carvel took over:
    1st season - 0.167
    2nd season - 0.462
    3rd season - 0.756
    4th season - 0.647
    5th season - 0.759

RPI Win % after Smith took over:
    1st season - 0.216
    2nd season - 0.319
    3rd season - 0.529

It's not realistic for any program to expect to rise as quickly as UMass did and get to 2 FFs and a national championship in the first 5 seasons of a new head coach. However, our program is on the rise too even though we're going at a slower pace. I think we too can win a national championship under DS someday.

The main thing that I notice is how Carvel emphasized the importance of culture in every single interview and how it is THE most important part of a program. Smith says the same thing and emphasizes our culture and values. The priorities are in the right place, just need to keep building step by step.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Today is 12 April 2021. There are 173 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied
    1st season - 0.167
    2nd season - 0.462
    3rd season - 0.756
    4th season - 0.647
    5th season - 0.759

1st season - 0.216
    2nd season - 0.319
    3rd season - 0.529

It's not realistic for any program to expect to rise as quickly as UMass did and get to 2 FFs and a national championship in the first 5 seasons of a new head coach. However, our program is on the rise too even though we're going at a slower pace. I think we too can win a national championship under DS someday.

The main thing that I notice is how Carvel emphasized the importance of culture in every single interview and how it is THE most important part of a program. Smith says the same thing and emphasizes our culture and values. The priorities are in the right place, just need to keep building step by step.
    Encouraging trends, for sure. UMass is a fascinating story. No doubt they worked hard to change the dynamic around the program (e.g. the "NewMass" branding), and they were able to blend that with some really good recruiting. One small thing that indicates a good team dynamic is that they have successfully managed a two goaltender rotation for 3 years in a row.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

No problem. I didn't see the posts because i was out. :-)
    It was just me repeating what was in the article you weren't referring to! :-)

Leave a comment:

• sezenack
    replied
    1st season - 0.167
    2nd season - 0.462
    3rd season - 0.756
    4th season - 0.647
    5th season - 0.759

1st season - 0.216
    2nd season - 0.319
    3rd season - 0.529

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Today is 11 April 2021. There are 174 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied

It took a long time when I decided to start it because there were hundreds to catch up on. Once I caught up, it has not been too bad. I know I'm missing some, but I believe I have all the important entries and a high percentage covered.
    FWIW, Ben Pirko (Union) transferred to D3 Trinity during the year.

https://bantamsports.com/sports/mens...ben-pirko/8873

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Sorry, Ralph. I deleted some previous replies I made this morning because I now realize you were referring to the CHN page, which still identifies a one-year penalty for transfers, and not the Sports Illustrated piece I subsequently linked to. I assume that the CHN page will be updated not long after the NCAA meets this week to reflect the without penalty transfer.
    No problem. I didn't see the posts because i was out. :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X