Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

    The bold face was part of the quote I lifted for the post - and yes - I was hoping you would be the first to get the gist of it. My submission for the new title would be The Hunt For Red October. You are quick even if you are getting up there in age!!
    I only got it because I googled it. :-D
    sigpic

    Let's Go 'Tute!

    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

    2012 Poser Of The Year

    Comment


    • Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

      Mentioning Mr. Ferner, what's the fan's review of him?

      He's going from one alma mater of mine to the other and I don't know what to expect.


      Here's how he spent the 2020-21 season: https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/...792bc1e47.html
      His primary asset appears to be his leadership ability. That is probably why the post which you quoted stated that his on ice talent can be replaced by Baxter. He is a good, although not big, defenseman with some offensive ability. I am sure others can add to this.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

        His primary asset appears to be his leadership ability. That is probably why the post which you quoted stated that his on ice talent can be replaced by Baxter. He is a good, although not big, defenseman with some offensive ability. I am sure others can add to this.
        Excellent skater, always seems to be positioned well and doesn't seem to get beat 1:1; responsible in his own end and will give very good first pass to get out of the zone. Played heavy minutes, especially last season against other teams top line. PK guy, (PP a little bit as well), led team in blocked shots I believe his first two years. He is a player that does all the little things well, that most won't notice. I really enjoyed him as a player. And as mentioned, he was supposedly a great teammate/locker room guy and was rumored to be the captain his last two years here had he stayed. In my opinion, UND getting a very solid player that will grow on you the more you see him play.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

          I only got it because I googled it. :-D
          Ok - then I take it all back! Still propose the title as most fitting but if you googled the answer it should not count. I don't think they would accept your answers at Bronx High School of Science if you googled them and did not show your work. I almost never show my work simply because i usually cannot remember how I got to the answer in the first place!
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

          Comment


          • Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

            Excellent skater, always seems to be positioned well and doesn't seem to get beat 1:1; responsible in his own end and will give very good first pass to get out of the zone. Played heavy minutes, especially last season against other teams top line. PK guy, (PP a little bit as well), led team in blocked shots I believe his first two years. He is a player that does all the little things well, that most won't notice. I really enjoyed him as a player. And as mentioned, he was supposedly a great teammate/locker room guy and was rumored to be the captain his last two years here had he stayed. In my opinion, UND getting a very solid player that will grow on you the more you see him play.
            Do not forget to add that he is smart. He has to be since he is coming from RPI! If he has to learn a new system it should be like a piece of cake for him. Cannot be harder than passing Physics and Calculus in Troy.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

              Do not forget to add that he is smart. He has to be since he is coming from RPI! If he has to learn a new system it should be like a piece of cake for him. Cannot be harder than passing Physics and Calculus in Troy.
              Sezenack or someone else can correct me, but I don't think that Management majors take physics anymore, and they may take a watered down version of calculus.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-15-2021, 04:00 AM.
              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • Today is 15 April 2021. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.


                This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.


                sigpic

                Let's Go 'Tute!

                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                2012 Poser Of The Year

                Comment


                • Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

                  Mentioning Mr. Ferner, what's the fan's review of him?

                  He's going from one alma mater of mine to the other and I don't know what to expect.


                  Here's how he spent the 2020-21 season: https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/...792bc1e47.html
                  The word I'd use for Ferner is "responsible." He rarely gets caught out of position or makes a bad decision. I viewed him as more of a defense first guy because he doesn't have a big shot or make flashy plays. He does, however, move the puck well, particularly in the transition from defense to offense. He's the kind of player coaches and teammates (and fans) can count on, which is probably why he was also viewed as a leader and a popular guy to have on the roster. I'll admit to generally having a tinge of bitterness toward decommits and transfers, but for a guy like Ferner in the current circumstances, I can only wish him well.

                  Having said that, I'm on to making our in-bound transfers Baxter and Walsh among my favorite players. We've added an experienced defensive-minded senior defenseman and a junior forward (with potentially 3 years of eligibility) that hasn't produced big numbers yet but was viewed as having tremendous potential as a relatively young (19) entrant from the USHL a couple of years ago.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

                    The word I'd use for Ferner is "responsible." He rarely gets caught out of position or makes a bad decision. I viewed him as more of a defense first guy because he doesn't have a big shot or make flashy plays. He does, however, move the puck well, particularly in the transition from defense to offense. He's the kind of player coaches and teammates (and fans) can count on, ...
                    Sounds like my kind of defenseman --> the one you know has had a good game because you didn't notice him.

                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                    North Dakota Hockey:

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

                      Sezenack or someone else can correct me, but I don't think that Management majors take physics anymore, and they may take a watered down version of calculus.
                      Back in the old days, very little was 'watered down' at RPI and if it was, it might still have been more difficult than most course at other so called institutions of higher learning! As far as physics, just using it as an example. When I applied to RPI my guidance counselor had warned me that even Gym was hard at RPI. I would bet with you that the coursed the RPI hockey players attend now are still a tad more difficult than those the football players have to take at Ohio State or Michigan or Florida State and Alabama. I wonder how the course of study the boys take in Troy compares with those at other highly prestigious schools like Cornell???
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

                        Back in the old days, very little was 'watered down' at RPI and if it was, it might still have been more difficult than most course at other so called institutions of higher learning! As far as physics, just using it as an example. When I applied to RPI my guidance counselor had warned me that even Gym was hard at RPI. I would bet with you that the coursed the RPI hockey players attend now are still a tad more difficult than those the football players have to take at Ohio State or Michigan or Florida State and Alabama. I wonder how the course of study the boys take in Troy compares with those at other highly prestigious schools like Cornell???
                        Those at Cornell learn things like how to properly pour wine in the School of Hotel Management, ;-D
                        sigpic

                        Let's Go 'Tute!

                        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                        2012 Poser Of The Year

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

                          Those at Cornell learn things like how to properly pour wine in the School of Hotel Management, ;-D
                          That seems to me like an important skill. I guess that is comparable to Physical Chemistry or BioPhysics.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                          Comment


                          • Today is 16 April 2021. There are 169 days until RPI's next game.


                            This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.


                            sigpic

                            Let's Go 'Tute!

                            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                            2012 Poser Of The Year

                            Comment


                            • Today is 17 April 2021. There are 168 days (24 weeks) until RPI's next game.


                              This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.



                              sigpic

                              Let's Go 'Tute!

                              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                              2012 Poser Of The Year

                              Comment


                              • https://twitter.com/jakelee8816/stat...33138953625609

                                Jake Lee @jakelee8816
                                I want to thank my teammates, coaches, and everyone at @MerrimackMIH
                                for a great year and helping me better myself both as a person, and a hockey player. That being said, I am beyond thankful to announce my commitment to
                                @RPI_Hockey ! Can’t wait to get to work.
                                sigpic

                                Let's Go 'Tute!

                                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                                2012 Poser Of The Year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X