Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

    On a "positive" note, I received a blast email the other day promoting alumni events and gatherings. Obviously, they have all been "virtual" for the past ten months. Finally, one has popped up that is being advertised as IN PERSON. Unfortunately, it is alumni and homecoming weekend in October, 2021.

    Sure is starting to look like all sports at the institute will end up being suspended for a hard to even imagine eighteen months. Have to wonder if that is just far too long to maintain either the paying live gate or those that follow via RPI TV or ESPN PLUS. Just cannot imaging anything even close to the entire fan base returning after all that time. By September/ October of 2021, a very healthy number are very likely to find something else to do even if that means just staying home.
    I received an e-mail today promoting Spirit Day, to be celebrated on Feb. 5 this year. The e-mail notes that Spirit Day is normally the day before Big Red Freakout. So I guess now we know when Big Red Freakout would have been if there had been a hockey season.

    Way down at the bottom of the Spirit Day e-mail is a note to "mark your calendar for a virtual celebration of Reunion & Homecoming, April 14-16, 2021."

    Does that mean we're going to have the first ever Homecoming lacrosse game - but with alumni restricted to virtual attendance only?

    Comment


    • Today is 16 January 2021. There are 259 days (17 weeks) until RPI's next game.


      This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.





      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

        I received an e-mail today promoting Spirit Day, to be celebrated on Feb. 5 this year. The e-mail notes that Spirit Day is normally the day before Big Red Freakout. So I guess now we know when Big Red Freakout would have been if there had been a hockey season.

        Way down at the bottom of the Spirit Day e-mail is a note to "mark your calendar for a virtual celebration of Reunion & Homecoming, April 14-16, 2021."

        Does that mean we're going to have the first ever Homecoming lacrosse game - but with alumni restricted to virtual attendance only?
        February 6 would have been against Dartmouth. :-)
        sigpic

        Let's Go 'Tute!

        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

        2012 Poser Of The Year

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jstadts View Post

          You are not alone Doc. One tidbit of interest today per CHN NCAA put off decision on Transferring without sitting a year. Fingers crossed that doesn`t happen.
          I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Players choose a school to further their academic and athletic careers. If there is no regard for these athletes who commit themselves to the school, they should be allowed to transfer without penalty. It should be a 2-way street with their athletic development taken into consideration, which is a problem in the decision-making process by RPI's administration. The student-athlete is never a consideration. Obviously, RPI is not the only school in this boat.
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post

            I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Players choose a school to further their academic and athletic careers. If there is no regard for these athletes who commit themselves to the school, they should be allowed to transfer without penalty. It should be a 2-way street with their athletic development taken into consideration, which is a problem in the decision-making process by RPI's administration. The student-athlete is never a consideration. Obviously, RPI is not the only school in this boat.
            I might not have been clear. I was referring to the coming years not this current hot mess. My fear in the future for RPI and similar schools is this.t The big boys will just use the smaller schools as prep programs and poach every gem at will without the sit out rule.

            Comment


            • Today is 17 January 2021. There are 258 days until RPI's next game.


              This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.





              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                The big boys will just use the smaller schools as prep programs and poach every gem at will without the sit out rule.
                That is a great observation. I have always thought that players should have the same abilities as coaches and asst. coaches when signing with a new school. (no restrictions).
                So, if you are going to allow players to leave without waiting out a year, the new school should have to incur a serious penalty. Put the onus on the school and not the student/athelete.
                Just a thought.

                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

                Comment


                • Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

                  That is a great observation. I have always thought that players should have the same abilities as coaches and asst. coaches when signing with a new school. (no restrictions).
                  So, if you are going to allow players to leave without waiting out a year, the new school should have to incur a serious penalty. Put the onus on the school and not the student/athelete.
                  Just a thought.
                  I see merit in that idea. Too bad no one cares what we the fans think. Think of the cost involved for a School like RPI to beat the bushes to find an overlooked standout, then scholly$ and poof he is gone when a prettier girl winks at him.

                  Comment


                  • Today is 18 January 2021. There are 257 days until RPI's next game.


                    This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.





                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jstadts View Post

                      I see merit in that idea. Too bad no one cares what we the fans think. Think of the cost involved for a School like RPI to beat the bushes to find an overlooked standout, then scholly$ and poof he is gone when a prettier girl winks at him.
                      I could understand "poof he is gone when a prettier girl winks at him" - especially if she has a lot of money!
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

                        I could understand "poof he is gone when a prettier girl winks at him" - especially if she has a lot of money!
                        Doc, You`re the best! Stay healthy and keep doing whatever it is you do to stay so .....umm... perky

                        Comment


                        • Today is 19 January 2021. There are 256 days until RPI's next game.


                          This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.





                          sigpic

                          Let's Go 'Tute!

                          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                          2012 Poser Of The Year

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jstadts View Post

                            I might not have been clear. I was referring to the coming years not this current hot mess. My fear in the future for RPI and similar schools is this.t The big boys will just use the smaller schools as prep programs and poach every gem at will without the sit out rule.
                            if this happens, then you might as well pay the players. Free agency in college athletics will be here

                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

                            WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jstadts View Post

                              Doc, You`re the best! Stay healthy and keep doing whatever it is you do to stay so .....umm... perky
                              Always followed the advice of my father - marry a rich girl who can cook. Everything else you can find somewhere else!

                              Biggest problem for me now is all the weight gain from staying home and not eating meals out. Jenny is a fabulous cook and over the past 10 months of lock downs here in NJ, I have gained over 15 pounds. Much of it from her pecorino romano encrusted chicken.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                              Comment


                              • random, I`m bored Tuesday night post. Twelve Freshmen could be starters next year..omg

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X