UNH v UMass HE qtr Final Extraganza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Not sure about that. They totally dominated. If they measured time of possession it was probably 3 to 1. Of course they don’t HAVE to win but they’re pretty focused. They could have packed it in down three goals. The REAL killer was the goal with less than a minute left in the first. If UNH gets out of there with the 3-0 lead I think they win easily. That woke UMass up.
    Agreed. UMass rotates goalies so a switch isn't a step down or a big deal in that locker room. However, the deeper this game goes, the more UNH absolutely needs it...

UNHs top-3 defenseman (and especially their top-2) play massive minutes and a 40+ minute night (or worse) is really going to hang heavy on those legs. Especially with a loss...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH v UMass HE qtr Final Extraganza

Listening to Piano Concerto #1 by the late, great Keith Emerson, just chilling and enjoying the game.

Pressure is on the other guys.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

No chance. Tipped and changed direction five feet. Tough one.

Comment

Felt they left it on the ice...sigh.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

All over but the shouting, I'm afraid. Three goal lead, late in the second, let UMass off the ropes.

That was their chance, and they couldn't take it.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              All over but the shouting, I'm afraid. Three goal lead, late in the second, let UMass off the ropes.

That was their chance, and they couldn't take it.

Well, the disparity in talent is wide. As I said, that goal in the last minute of the first period when they were up 3-0 did them in. It woke UMass up. The only comment I will make is they played hard. My high school happens to be one of the longest Thanksgiving rivalries in the country (something like 135 games now) and every year you hear "Throw the records out the window, anything can happen." Sounds good, but that's not the reality. The one upset that happens every 20 years gets all the attention, but the reality is the better team wins almost every time. I've been to enough games where I knew you could just see it coming. UMass just kept advancing in waves, and this is one game where the SOG DID reflect the dominance. 70% of the game was played in the UNH end. They just couldn't get the puck out of their zone and when they did they had no speed going through center ice. Possession was very tenuous as UMass was all over them. I believe UNH had five power plays and I don't think they even "set up" in the zone until the last one. I think if UNH gets a couple of really good players into the pipeline you will see a definite uptick. But it takes time. Right now they're just not there...it was very obvious at the game. But I WILL say that Souza has them playing with a lot of heart, and that's a really good thing and a necessary ingredient before they can begin the climb back up.

Comment

HR, good to see you at the game. I hope you made it home safely. I have lived here my entire life (all 32 years ) and I have NEVER seen worse fog than this. Took me 30 minutes longer than usual to get home...at some places I slowed down to 10 mph because I couldn't see the road. And it seemed to be "inverted." It was worse in the higher elevations and less in the lower. I have no idea what caused it - apparently there was a huge thunderstorm (which we obviously couldn't hear inside the arena).

Box score said 3076. Lowell was just under 3000. Only 1620 at NU and 1716 at Providence.

Comment

HR, good to see you at the game. I hope you made it home safely. I have lived here my entire life (all 32 years ) and I have NEVER seen worse fog than this. Took me 30 minutes longer than usual to get home...at some places I slowed down to 10 mph because I couldn't see the road. And it seemed to be "inverted." It was worse in the higher elevations and less in the lower. I have no idea what caused it - apparently there was a huge thunderstorm (which we obviously couldn't hear inside the arena).

Box score said 3076. Lowell was just under 3000. Only 1620 at NU and 1716 at Providence.
                  The fog shook me up. I didn’t know which lane I wasn’t in on the Mass Pike at times. Very thankful it was late so no one else was on the road. I might get a hotel tomorrow night. I don’t want to risk dealing with that again.

I also hope everyone made it back safe. Very surprised I didn’t see any accidents.
                  #NewMass

Comment

Nice seeing you as well...fun watching the game with you and Dan (UNH “board lurker” lol). Fortunately no fog and the hotel was very close by. I’ve driven in the stuff from Durham last season and it was no picnic.

Not too much to say you pretty much said it all...you don’t get to be the number 2 team in the nation for nothing. Of course we all knew that going in and UMass did what great teams do and found the way to get back into the game and win it. Hats off tho to Chris Miller finding the back of the net twice and nice to see Angus Crookshank score after a long hiatus. Mike Robinson what can you say 48 saves...
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-16-2019, 07:04 AM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well, the disparity in talent is wide. As I said, that goal in the last minute of the first period when they were up 3-0 did them in. It woke UMass up. The only comment I will make is they played hard. My high school happens to be one of the longest Thanksgiving rivalries in the country (something like 135 games now) and every year you hear "Throw the records out the window, anything can happen." Sounds good, but that's not the reality. The one upset that happens every 20 years gets all the attention, but the reality is the better team wins almost every time. I've been to enough games where I knew you could just see it coming. UMass just kept advancing in waves, and this is one game where the SOG DID reflect the dominance. 70% of the game was played in the UNH end. They just couldn't get the puck out of their zone and when they did they had no speed going through center ice. Possession was very tenuous as UMass was all over them. I believe UNH had five power plays and I don't think they even "set up" in the zone until the last one. I think if UNH gets a couple of really good players into the pipeline you will see a definite uptick. But it takes time. Right now they're just not there...it was very obvious at the game. But I WILL say that Souza has them playing with a lot of heart, and that's a really good thing and a necessary ingredient before they can begin the climb back up.
                      Like I said whatever you struggle with all season becomes illuminated in the big games that count. It’s obvious where we are at this point in the process; is what it is. Gotta keep moving forward I mean..what else can you say. Still...I know how disappointing it has to be at least I felt they did what they could. I’m happy to be here supporting them and know these games only help in that process. Go ‘Cats!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I am curious why Grasso didn’t play last night and I guess what has happened to him from his hot freshman year
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          I am curious why Grasso didn’t play last night and I guess what has happened to him from his hot freshman year
                          After cleaning up on the first PP unit as a freshman, Grasso has had two injury-plagued seasons (granted red shirt for last season). But, sadly, he is apparently done again for this season. I am really hoping that his freshman third line with Blackburn and BvR can be reunited next season.

Comment

Last night was UNH’s shot, had a three goal lead and couldn’t hold on. Expect a convincing UMass win tonight, say 4-0 or 5-1, something like that. A win would be a pleasant surprise, but really not feeling it’s going to happen.
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              Last night was UNH’s shot, had a three goal lead and couldn’t hold on. Expect a convincing UMass win tonight, say 4-0 or 5-1, something like that. A win would be a pleasant surprise, but really not feeling it’s going to happen.
                              4-0 UMass just in the first period. Decided I've heard enough and shut off the game

Cats just don't have enough gas in the tank, as expected. Not disappointed, they made big strides this year to get out of the HE cellar.

Good luck to UMass in the NCAA's.

See y'all next year!!
                              Last edited by Scott; 03-16-2019, 06:37 PM.
                              UNH

Comment

Have the Minutewagon fans sung the "na, na, na, good bye" song yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X