• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH v UMass HE qtr Final Extraganza

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    The series from a UMass perspective:

https://dailycollegian.com/2019/03/t...quarterfinals/
    Where are the UNH sections at Mullins? Anybody know? Since I already work just outside of Worcester, I might just scoot over to Amherst after work tomorrow night. My wife is out with the girls so it sounds like it might be a great atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Where are the UNH sections at Mullins? Anybody know? Since I already work just outside of Worcester, I might just scoot over to Amherst after work tomorrow night. My wife is out with the girls so it sounds like it might be a great atmosphere.
      Section X is what I was told...I had bought my tix before I read the email that went out and was told that's the section. So I'm glad I just happened to buy there! Maybe see you...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Section X is what I was told...I had bought my tix before I read the email that went out and was told that's the section. So I'm glad I just happened to buy there! Maybe see you...
        I’ll look for you. (I’ll be in my BU sweater because I don’t have a UNH one - but I’m sure it will draw some raspberries). Thanks!

Comment

I’ll look for you. (I’ll be in my BU sweater because I don’t have a UNH one - but I’m sure it will draw some raspberries). Thanks!
          Ha! No worse than my UNH blues...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ha! No worse than my UNH blues...
            Section X - Row 21 - Seat 10 (there were seats available lower but I don't like looking through the glass when I'm in the corner)

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              Well i'm about to incur the wrath of Chuck. This just doesn't make sense. You have to win 1 before you can win the series and i doubt anyone is saying let's "just win one"!
              And who was the individual saying over and over that UMass did not have experience in the tournament? Well this group from our school could certainly use the experience. and playing 3 games does mean having won 1 game. in my mind it isn't a meaningless consolation prize by any stretch of the imagination, it is more like a taste of what you want a team to have. Been close but not able to get the bone. You always hear teams saying we could taste it last year and don't want to be denied again. blah blah.
              No "wrath" here, ATW (although it's kinda funny seeing e.cat hiding behind you, "go get 'im kiddo!" ) … it's nice that UNH made the real playoffs this season, instead of the MBPBEGAM (RIP) version we've had to tolerate most recently. But right at this moment, UNH has won all of two (2) more games this season than they did last season. I know, it feels different (and it is), if only because last season went steadily downhill, whereas this season was a steady climb in the opposite direction.

But to make a real impression - and to begin to reclaim what used to be our "rightful place" in Hockey East - UNH needs to be back in Boston for the conference tourney games. Plus, Souza gets to start a new tradition of his own, where he is seen as the guy who rises to the occasion in the postseason. He's got the blank slate as a coach, and as a player, he was a key part of some of the biggest games in the program's history. Why not carry that forward? Why not become the guy the other programs look at, and say "That guy knows how to get his teams ready for the biggest games?" Why settle for the slow path where (like his predecessor) questions get raised early, and try as he might, he just never quite overcomes them?

I'm not saying it's a must-win, but as long-time UNH fans, we've gotten conditioned to expect this "process" that lasts forever, and never quite gets there. Now we have a guy in charge who has been there (at least close) as a player, and can set down a marker early for the rest of his career. Do it. Do it now. At some point or another, you're going to have to break through and prove yourself, and get the attention of the D-1 hockey world, top recruits, etc. Why not now? Why wait?

You never get a second chance to make a first impression (or so I hear). If anyone thinks winning one out of three in the QF's marks some huge step forward … with all due respect, no, it doesn't. You're still not in Boston. You're just not in last place, or in the bottom three. You still have (had) a losing record. Not to mention, Snively65 needs two wins to cash in more frosties.

I'm tired of playing the long game (and yeah, I know, reality is it takes time), and it's the only time of the season when a single big weekend can make a real difference in the trajectory of your program. It's not like you're playing against a Walshy-coached team, or a Parker or York team in their primes. Opportunity knocks. If Souza doesn't have his guys flying from the outset for tomorrow's opener, he misses a really big chance to hang out the sign for everyone to see that it's not "business as usual" at UNH any more. There's a new sheriff in town, he breathes fire, and he plays to win. Go get 'em, MS7!!!
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                No "wrath" here, ATW (although it's kinda funny seeing e.cat hiding behind you, "go get 'im kiddo!" ) … it's nice that UNH made the real playoffs this season, instead of the MBPBEGAM (RIP) version we've had to tolerate most recently. But right at this moment, UNH has won all of two (2) more games this season than they did last season. I know, it feels different (and it is), if only because last season went steadily downhill, whereas this season was a steady climb in the opposite direction.

But to make a real impression - and to begin to reclaim what used to be our "rightful place" in Hockey East - UNH needs to be back in Boston for the conference tourney games. Plus, Souza gets to start a new tradition of his own, where he is seen as the guy who rises to the occasion in the postseason. He's got the blank slate as a coach, and as a player, he was a key part of some of the biggest games in the program's history. Why not carry that forward? Why not become the guy the other programs look at, and say "That guy knows how to get his teams ready for the biggest games?" Why settle for the slow path where (like his predecessor) questions get raised early, and try as he might, he just never quite overcomes them?

I'm not saying it's a must-win, but as long-time UNH fans, we've gotten conditioned to expect this "process" that lasts forever, and never quite gets there. Now we have a guy in charge who has been there (at least close) as a player, and can set down a marker early for the rest of his career. Do it. Do it now. At some point or another, you're going to have to break through and prove yourself, and get the attention of the D-1 hockey world, top recruits, etc. Why not now? Why wait?

You never get a second chance to make a first impression (or so I hear). If anyone thinks winning one out of three in the QF's marks some huge step forward … with all due respect, no, it doesn't. You're still not in Boston. You're just not in last place, or in the bottom three. You still have (had) a losing record. Not to mention, Snively65 needs two wins to cash in more frosties.

I'm tired of playing the long game (and yeah, I know, reality is it takes time), and it's the only time of the season when a single big weekend can make a real difference in the trajectory of your program. It's not like you're playing against a Walshy-coached team, or a Parker or York team in their primes. Opportunity knocks. If Souza doesn't have his guys flying from the outset for tomorrow's opener, he misses a really big chance to hang out the sign for everyone to see that it's not "business as usual" at UNH any more. There's a new sheriff in town, he breathes fire, and he plays to win. Go get 'em, MS7!!!
                "Great moments are born from great opportunity. And, that is what you have here tonight, boys. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But, not this game. Not tonight. Tonight we shall skate with 'em. This is your time. Their time - it's done. It's over. Tonight is your time."

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  "Great moments are born from great opportunity. And, that is what you have here tonight, boys. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But, not this game. Not tonight. Tonight we shall skate with 'em. This is your time. Their time - it's done. It's over. Tonight is your time."
                  Stealing this hope you don’t mind for the UNH Facebook fan page! Let’s Go ‘Cats!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Stealing this hope you don’t mind for the UNH Facebook fan page! Let’s Go ‘Cats!!
                    Herb Brooks, 1980. R.I.P.

Comment

Herb Brooks, 1980. R.I.P.
                      What happened to, "Tonight, we shut them down. Because WE CAN!!!!! You were all born to be hockey players."

Comment

What happened to, "Tonight, we shut them down. Because WE CAN!!!!! You were all born to be hockey players."
                        Oh, I know, I left out lots more. But, this site constantly times me out when I post from my iPhone. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Hahahaha! I absolutely agree with ATW that no one is saying "let's just win one!" Plus his throw away line of risking the "wrath of Chuck " was music to my ears:-).

It's all well and good to suggest that this is an opportunity for MS to "start a new tradition" and "rise to the occasion."

My question for you is; how do you propose MS pull off this monumental upset other than just getting his "guys flying from the outset?"

Who said this obligatory Miracle quote?: "Why'd yah wanna play college hockey?" "Isn't it obvious? For the girls!"
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Oh, I know, I left out lots more. But, this site constantly times me out when I post from my iPhone. :-(
                            It was enough...point made....it would be so monumental to beat UMass this weekend...I mean...what WOULD Herb Brooks say tonight in that locker room to make a big enough difference? It's leave it all on the ice or bust...you don't win games with effort alone but it sure does help! No intensity...no victory... Pressures on the Minutemen....
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Hahahaha! I absolutely agree with ATW that no one is saying "let's just win one!" Plus his throw away line of risking the "wrath of Chuck " was music to my ears:-).

It's all well and good to suggest that this is an opportunity for MS to "start a new tradition" and "rise to the occasion."

My question for you is; how do you propose MS pull off this monumental upset other than just getting his "guys flying from the outset?"

Who said this obligatory Miracle quote?: "Why'd yah wanna play college hockey?" "Isn't it obvious? For the girls!"
                              Everything you do as a team, the good, the bad, and yes, the ugly...are all on display in this 'second season'. You either have figured out the issues or you haven't. Fixed your weaknesses or you haven't. Nothing is going to 'happen' all of a sudden. Being in these games is a start. How we finish them, is huge. If they play their guts out, don't quit, get some help from the Hockey Gods (like, score some goals) who knows? The 'Cats are as prepared as they are every going to be...Heading out; see some of you there!!

Let's Go 'Cats!!
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Really? That's strange...I have not experienced that.

Comment

Working...
                                X