Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    I didn’t see a lick of that series but on one hand you said they let the series get out of control, yet you complained they handed out an unwarranted 5 + game... so you wanted them to call things tighter and send the message that safety was important, except for when they did?

And the definition is a penalty shot is awarded when a clear scoring opportunity is lost on a breakaway; I guess maybe that is up to interpretation but I feel like you can lose a clear scoring opportunity and still get a shot off; in other words just bc someone shoots doesn’t mean they now shouldn’t get a penalty shot.

I agree that while everyone complains about officiating, there aren’t just legions of officials that are really good and qualified and fans would want calling the games and leagues from the pros, college, juniors, high school and down to youth are just refusing to hire despite them wanting to officiate. However there may be a great number that are sick of being booed and heckled and swore at and threatened and called out byname on Internet forums. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and can say what they want but the officials you see are the best that league can currently muster up so complaining about them could potentially cause some to quit and weaken the pool.

Just food for thought...
    Being an official is a thankless job. Some professional sports are trying to automate calls which I think is very unwise. We want perfection, but officials are human and will make mistakes. It is human nature. All I ask from officials in any sport is consistency. When officials are consistent in their calls, it is up to the players of the given sport to adjust to those calls.

There are some fan bases on here that are not happy unless they complain. They also tend to believe their team never does anything wrong. I admit to complaining at times when I feel consistency is lacking. I think we all need to look in the mirror and realize these men and women that are officials are doing a difficult job. Are some officials better than others? Of course. Would we like to be complained about in our jobs day in and day out? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      You are correct. Fans will complain about officials at every level. But I don't think this is just because Tech lost. BGSU was the better team and deserved to win. It is more a case of the inconsistency and the officials losing control of the game. I do not know the details of how he got injured, but I suspect Baylis would not be out for the season if the officials did a better job. The scrum at the end of Game 1 would not have happened.

As for a couple calls that I questioned, they are Polglaze getting 5 +game on Friday night for a questionable checking from behind. From what I saw watching Flo, it appeared that the BG player initiated the contact as much as Polglaze did. I'd like to hear the explanation on that one.

Another call I questioned was the penalty shot on Saturday. I have always been of the understanding that a penalty shot is to restore a lost scoring opportunity. The BG player was able to get a shot off that Jurusik had to make a save on. That to me is not worthy of a penalty shot. A minor was even questionable on that play but I would not have argued one if I was standing behind the bench.

And I'll admit I'm no expert on the subject. I've only spent 20 years officiating (none over the HS and Midget AAA level and not for the last 15 years) so I'd like you to take my comments in perspective and give me a break.

Good luck to the four teams remaining. Even though my favourite team has been eliminated, there is plenty of good hockey to watch in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      https://youtu.be/tbDGyuJKkTY

Comment

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
        https://youtu.be/tbDGyuJKkTY
        pdt1081 thanks for posting this and validating my point that it should not have been a penalty shot (1:20). And after further review my earlier comment has been reversed. I would definitely argue even a minor penalty on the play.

Do you have any other videos to support my other comments? If so, please share.

Comment

It was not about losing the series, just the continued inconsistency the entire season of WCHA refs on the following:

Boarding
          Real checking from Behind
          Hits to head emphasis
          Interference

Polglaze hit as mentioned, no way a 5:00. Polglaze ejected for nothing.
          Penalty shot, penalty shot called for Letorneau hockey stopping too hard to the right - ridiculous
          Steman hit in head with blind side hit, officials warrant review, do not even call a 2:00 interference which was a given call.
          Steman struck in the head on Friday night, officials huddling after the game to review the no call.

The WCHA has to review the performance level, it has been so bad this year, I am questioning buying the stream again next year as the refs have way too much say in the outcomes.
          Inconsistency is the main point, this is not rec hockey, we as fans of the league deserve better and even more important the Div 1 athletes deserve way better.
          Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-10-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

pdt1081 thanks for posting this and validating my point that it should not have been a penalty shot (1:20). And after further review my earlier comment has been reversed. I would definitely argue even a minor penalty on the play.

Do you have any other videos to support my other comments? If so, please share.

Is the stick of the player behind touching his hand?

Comment

Is the stick of the player behind touching his hand?
              You cannot tell from this angle. His stick was definitely up, but he did not hook him and he did not affect the BG Guy's shot. Also if he didn't fall (on his own I might add) I doubt anything would have been called.

Comment

You are correct. Fans will complain about officials at every level. But I don't think this is just because Tech lost. BGSU was the better team and deserved to win. It is more a case of the inconsistency and the officials losing control of the game. I do not know the details of how he got injured, but I suspect Baylis would not be out for the season if the officials did a better job. The scrum at the end of Game 1 would not have happened.

As for a couple calls that I questioned, they are Polglaze getting 5 +game on Friday night for a questionable checking from behind. From what I saw watching Flo, it appeared that the BG player initiated the contact as much as Polglaze did. I'd like to hear the explanation on that one.

Another call I questioned was the penalty shot on Saturday. I have always been of the understanding that a penalty shot is to restore a lost scoring opportunity. The BG player was able to get a shot off that Jurusik had to make a save on. That to me is not worthy of a penalty shot. A minor was even questionable on that play but I would not have argued one if I was standing behind the bench.

And I'll admit I'm no expert on the subject. I've only spent 20 years officiating (none over the HS and Midget AAA level and not for the last 15 years) so I'd like you to take my comments in perspective and give me a break.

Good luck to the four teams remaining. Even though my favourite team has been eliminated, there is plenty of good hockey to watch in the next few weeks.

Per the NCAA rulebook:

...must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded).

Most likely they determined the player was denied a better scoring opportunity and awarded the penalty shot.

Comment

You cannot tell from this angle. His stick was definitely up, but he did not hook him and he did not affect the BG Guy's shot. Also if he didn't fall (on his own I might add) I doubt anything would have been called.
                  It the stick is on the hand, it's a penalty. Doesn't matter if he "hooks" him or not. The stick is there to hinder the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
                    Per the NCAA rulebook:

...must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded).

Most likely they determined the player was denied a better scoring opportunity and awarded the penalty shot.
                    Thanks for the rule clarification, but I maintain, even more so now that I see the video posted by pdt1081 that he did not affect BG Guy's shot attempt. The only way I can think of how that play would have affected the shooter is if he heard "footsteps" and rushed his shot. And you cannot penalize that.

So it comes back to the original subject of the thread. How did the officials determine he was denied a better scoring opportunity? As Huskiefan906 said earlier, these boys deserve better officiating at the D1 level.

Comment

It the stick is on the hand, it's a penalty. Doesn't matter if he "hooks" him or not. The stick is there to hinder the shot.
                      This view does not show that the stick is on the hand, and if you watch the motion of his hand, it doesn't seem to be affected by the stick being where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                        Being an official is a thankless job. Some professional sports are trying to automate calls which I think is very unwise. We want perfection, but officials are human and will make mistakes. It is human nature. All I ask from officials in any sport is consistency. When officials are consistent in their calls, it is up to the players of the given sport to adjust to those calls.

There are some fan bases on here that are not happy unless they complain. They also tend to believe their team never does anything wrong. I admit to complaining at times when I feel consistency is lacking. I think we all need to look in the mirror and realize these men and women that are officials are doing a difficult job. Are some officials better than others? Of course. Would we like to be complained about in our jobs day in and day out? I don't think so.
                        In any sport, consistency in officiating is the difference between good and bad officials. That said, I may have witnessed a bunch of bad officiating, but I never met an official that wanted to be or tried to be bad, (cheat).
                        I know this is not part of this specific discussion, but I work in high schools and deal in high school athletics here in Southern Indiana and Kentucky. We have one heck of a time finding officials. Why? Well, ask yourself, would you put up with it?
                        I think in hockey, as in basketball, some of the rules are terribly difficult to call consistently. Some officials are better than others, but every official in every sport misses calls from time to time. We have to accept that, as it will never change.
                        “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                        – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                        when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                          In any sport, consistency in officiating is the difference between good and bad officials. That said, I may have witnessed a bunch of bad officiating, but I never met an official that wanted to be or tried to be bad, (cheat).
                          I know this is not part of this specific discussion, but I work in high schools and deal in high school athletics here in Southern Indiana and Kentucky. We have one heck of a time finding officials. Why? Well, ask yourself, would you put up with it?
                          I think in hockey, as in basketball, some of the rules are terribly difficult to call consistently. Some officials are better than others, but every official in every sport misses calls from time to time. We have to accept that, as it will never change.
                          Well said. Thank you for your time with the kids.

Comment

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/wp-content...nTech-6638.jpg

The Tech skater’s stick is clearly on Letourneau’s right glove in this shot from our photographer.
                            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              http://www.bgsuhockey.com/wp-content...nTech-6638.jpg

The Tech skater’s stick is clearly on Letourneau’s right glove in this shot from our photographer.
                              Or it could be 2" closer to the camera than his right glove is. This photo is no more conclusive than the video from the other angle. Although it does show that the official's view could have been blocked by Letourneau's body, again inconclusive from this angle. In any case, by watching the video posted earlier, can you honestly say that Letourneau was "denied a more reasonable scoring opportunity" by Gotz's actions?

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                                Very valid points. But officials know what they are signing up for and as stated before these boys deserve better at the D1 level.

Comment

Working...
                                X