Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 B1G Tournament

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Again, oftentimes it's not the drivers themselves. It's the other idiots on the road. The ones that drive the bruh-trucks that think 4WD gives them a pass on ice, etc. Just this morning, I witnessed someone flooring it to get out of their parking spot. Well, if you know anything about anything, that doesn't work. It makes it worse.
    This. And it's true all over the Midwest/Great Lakes region.

6 inches of snow? No problem. Allow a little extra time, Game On.

Cold temps? Layer Up.

Ice? Judgment Call. For the reasons you've posted & more.

I also do quite a bit of winter driving. When ice is involved, sometimes you just have to know when to fold 'em. This winter I had an unscheduled night in Erie, Pa. Lake effect storm, with a major ice issue. Got home half a day late. With both my car & self intact. Haven't second guessed my decision. Not for a moment.

Current attendance levels at Mariucci? Legitimate issue. But anyone who skips a game due to an ice storm shouldn't be second guessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      So does this mean people in Minnesota don't drive to work in bad weather like the rest of us? If you do then why not a hockey game?
      Nice troll.

Yes, we go to work when the weather turns bad. We also understand the difference between earning money to putti food on out tables, shelter for our kids, and clothes on our backs vs. risking our safety and lives for some evening entertainment.

But we must not measure up to your 3cm of hard-driving lifestyle.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

This past month set a record for me while driving home from Gopher hockey games in poor weather. And all of the mishaps I (almost) witnessed occurred on the same highway, #169 north. The three worst were:

> A vehicle that veered off the road going north - just south of the Rockford Road exit - that smashed through the noise barrier fence. Must have been going very fast, to get through all that snow to hit the barrier approximately 100 feet away. Check it out, the hole is still there.
        > A multi-vehicle crash just north of the 36th Street exit that left an SUV flipped over on its roof in the center median. Lots of flashing lights and a big traffic jam, which delayed my trip home by 30 minutes.
        > A vehicle that went off the 169 exit ramp while attempting to go east on Rockford Road. Normally not a huge problem, but in this case the vehicle ended up going down a rather steep embankment into a holding pond. Fortunately, said pond was frozen solid so the occupants didn't drown. Or maybe they were just in a hurry to go ice fishing?

I found it a bit strange that all of these incidents happened in about a half-mile stretch, all on the same highway, while returning home from different Gopher hockey games.
        Last edited by D2D; 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Nice troll.

Yes, we go to work when the weather turns bad. We also understand the difference between earning money to putti food on out tables, shelter for our kids, and clothes on our backs vs. risking our safety and lives for some evening entertainment.

But we must not measure up to your 3cm of hard-driving lifestyle.
          Best explanation I've ever heard on being afraid to drive in bad weather.
          Your compatriots who make it to games in adverse weather must not have these issues or else have a pair to go with those 3cm.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            This past month set a record for me while driving home from Gopher hockey games in poor weather. And all of the mishaps I (almost) witnessed occurred on the same highway, #169 north. The three worst were:

> A vehicle that veered off the road going north - just south of the Rockford Road exit - that smashed through the noise barrier fence. Must have been going very fast, to get through all that snow to hit the barrier approximately 100 feet away. Check it out, the hole is still there.
            > A multi-vehicle crash just north of the 36th Street exit that left an SUV flipped over on its roof in the center median. Lots of flashing lights and a big traffic jam, which delayed my trip home by 30 minutes.
            > A vehicle that went off the 169 exit ramp while attempting to go east on Rockford Road. Normally not a huge problem, but in this case the vehicle ended up going down a rather steep embankment into a holding pond. Fortunately, said pond was frozen solid so the occupants didn't drown. Or maybe they were just in a hurry to go ice fishing?

I found it a bit strange that all of these incidents happened in about a half-mile stretch, all on the same highway, while returning home from different Gopher hockey games.
            I am very familiar with 169 from Hwy 7 up to Bass Lake Road, and that incident with the barrier?! WTeff?!

169 has more than its share of crazy drivers. 100 is up there, 394 is ok, same with 494.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I don't worry at all about my winter driving. But, those other idiots who should not even have drivers license to begin with suck. If you take a look at the people who get killed on the road this winter, both driving and pedestrians, most are not themselves at fault, it's the other guy.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                I don't worry at all about my winter driving. But, those other idiots who should not even have drivers license to begin with suck. If you take a look at the people who get killed on the road this winter, both driving and pedestrians, most are not themselves at fault, it's the other guy.
                Yeah, but I got a sweet 4WD jacked up full ton pickup, bruh. Thing handles it all, yo. Fully tinted windows, too. That means I can't see sh* outside. But it rocks, man.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/where-hav...one/506964042/

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    Yeah, but I got a sweet 4WD jacked up full ton pickup, bruh. Thing handles it all, yo. Fully tinted windows, too. That means I can't see sh* outside. But it rocks, man.
                    I used to work with a woman who had a ford excursion with a diesel in it. she was so happy she was safe since it was so large, but she truly was a menace to everyone else on the road. she was a lousy driver, and about once a winter she would talk about how she lost control on the way to work, but she felt safe.

and, I have a 1 ton F350 with dualies, 4by4, and a 4000 pound truck camper. I can't see anything out the back, and she is parked waiting for spring. she needs a set of 6 tires, oh is that spendy.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Not seeing in the back window isn't that crucial. You have 2 other mirrors that can do that for you. It's the other windows that need to be taken care of. I'll admit, from switching from a Wrangler to a Camaro...the first two weeks EVERYTHING was a blind spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X