Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serious Ideas to Improve College Hockey

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    No, he's right Happy. I can't stand to watch hockey in a sold out arena. Why would anyone? It's much better when there's only a 1000 or so fans. Makes it seem more exclusive, and it's much more quiet without all that "atmosphere" to worry about.
    The "atmosphere" is much better since smoking was banned.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      Not allowing an alumni of a school to referee his own school's game. Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard to prevent.
      I didn't even have to look at the author to know this was coming from a Miami fan...

This is still about Shegos doing the Michigan/Miami series two years ago isn't it?
      Come visit The Blog That Yost Built

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        Well, if you don't like those then,

BTHC.
        Now you're getting somewhere.

It's not an idea that I like, but at least it's a serious one.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Has everyone forgotten the reasoning behind UA_ and UAA being separate?
          Yes, they have, and it drives me nucking futs. When I read that UA_ was looking at joining BSU in the WCHA, I threw up my hands. Maybe even they forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Now you're getting somewhere.

It's not an idea that I like, but at least it's a serious one.
            It is so serious it could grow the game of college ice hockey over night.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The number one thing that needs to happen right now is growth. For NCAA Hockey to have any sort of future, there needs to be big time, name recognition schools to add programs. ESPN just isn't going to show a game between Bentley and Robert morris. Schools like Penn State, Iowa State are needed to get ESPN on board. Schools with natural rivalries in other sports need to be schmoozed. There has to be an aggressive campaign to get more big time schools on board. Let's go after schools with existing infrastructure (arena, successful club programs, etc.) and also schools with big $$. The rules changes and tweaks to existing rules are good ideas but without growth, NCAA Hockey will always be seen as the weak sister.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                It is so serious it could grow the game of college ice hockey over night.
                Do you think before you type?

Comment

Originally posted by davinchi View Post
                  The number one thing that needs to happen right now is growth. For NCAA Hockey to have any sort of future, there needs to be big time, name recognition schools to add programs. ESPN just isn't going to show a game between Bentley and Robert morris. Schools like Penn State, Iowa State are needed to get ESPN on board. Schools with natural rivalries in other sports need to be schmoozed. There has to be an aggressive campaign to get more big time schools on board. Let's go after schools with existing infrastructure (arena, successful club programs, etc.) and also schools with big $$. The rules changes and tweaks to existing rules are good ideas but without growth, NCAA Hockey will always be seen as the weak sister.
                  My dad's roots are in Fort Dodge, Iowa. I know the USHL is all over that state now but whenever I return to the state it never strikes me as "hockey country". It seems closer to Indiana than Minnesota.

Comment

cheerleaders for eastern schools.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      Do you think before you type?
                      Do you think you have a sense of humor?

Didn't think so.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Do you think you have a sense of humor?

Didn't think so.
                        Ah, the fine art of projecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          What changes would you make to college hockey to improve the product?

Here are 10 ideas that I would implement if I had the power:

1. Make major junior players who have played less than 20 MJ games eligible for college hockey. 95% percent of MJ players play for stipends far below the value of the financial aid college players get. Opening up the game would give more players and coaches more player development options, and I think it would improve access to talent.

2. Move the start of the college season back to Nov. 1. The season is too long right now. Get rid of the bye weeks and keep the same number of games.

3. Allow players to choose visors instead of full face masks. This would reduce stickwork and “cage courage” and allow a greater emphasis on skills.

4. Reduce the number of conference games by four, thus opening up more inter-league play, which will help create less insualr schedules and a more representative NCAA tourney selection.

5. While we’re on the subject of the NCAA tourney, I’d get rid of PWR and adopt KRACH as the team selection numerical reference. It’s just a better mousetrap.

6. I would like to see one of the national college hockey web sites become an aggregator of internet video feeds of games around the country into a single “dashboard” – allowing fans to pay a season, monthly or daily fee to watch many college games in one place. The schools would get a cut of the money for providing the feed, and the national site could keep the rest of the money to support their operations.

7. Cooperative scheduling would be cool to support those programs that have a hard time getting home non-league dates. In this scenario, ‘well off’ schools would offer one non-league road series to the co-op every few years to be played at schools that struggle to get home dates. The details of this would need to be worked out, but this would be a nice way helping those programs that can’t get visiting teams to travel to play them.

8. Harmonize instant replay and clock standards (e.g. displaying tenths of seconds) at all D-I schools. This might be a little expensive, but it’s not good to have differing standards.

9. Speaking of harmonizing, I would push for a deal where the NHL would contribute up-and-coming young officials to college hockey as part of their officiating development programs, as I believe they already do with Major Junior Hockey.

10. Increase roster size to 30 players, and push the NCAA to get back to 20 scholarships per team as it was prior to the cut to 18. Teams need more depth due to the nature of the game and the length of the season.

What changes would you like to see? (serious ideas preferred...)
                          1.I like giving the opportunity to MJ players, and I think they deserve the option, however I don't see the NCAA allowing it.
                          2. season shorter, YES. it needs to be shorter.
                          3.Visors, good idea, but like someone else said, is there a liability issue. I do think the stick work needs to be limited in some way.
                          4.Scheduling is a real issue and a key to growing the game in my opinion. Why not, since the level of play is pretty even across college hockey, allow points earned in a non league games, up to a certain point, to count in your league standings. Just an idea but worth talking about. Getting non league teams to remote locations is difficult. I don't know too many western teams jumping up and down to go to Clarkston, or St Lawrence for a game.
                          I do think that there needs to be ways to promote the game that use the clearing house idea.
                          5. I support Kratch 100%, I hate the cliff.
                          6. changing the clocks should be done.
                          7. Refs. a real problem. too much difference between refs within a league and between league interpretations of the rules. I am pretty sure the NCAA is paying attention to the problem. to me it's not the clutching and grabbing though that is a problem, it is the inconsistent application of the rules. There is also too much homing. teams in their home rink get too many calls or lack thereof.
                          8. Roster size. I'd be surprised if this could get done. I think the rosters are a good size. I'd be against upping the number of scholarships. I think it would mean the rich schools get more talent, maybe I';m wrong though.Yes the season is too long.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            SCSU wants to move to a NHL size rink with their remodel, but I don't think they will have the cash because they would have to lower the floor so the site lines would not be ruined. Coaches now realize the big ice sucks!
                            I think the big ice sucks as well. Even the Winter Olympics are going to be on NHL ice in Vancouver this year. If anything, I think the big ice slows the flow of the game down. I personally like the current ice surface in the DECC the games moves so fast in the transition and I think it has to do with the size of the arena ice sheet.
                            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                            Eric's Twitter
                            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

The only way to improve college hockey is to grow the sport. And the only way to grow the sport is to incourage growth outside the regional oddity it currently is.
                              -Will... Photographer, professional baby wrangler.
                              web- saveuahhockey.com facebook- Save UAH Hockey twitter- @saveuahhockey

Comment

Way too many ties. I hate shootouts, so I suggest 4 on 4 OTs instead of 5 on 5. It would open up the ice a lot more and allow for more chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X