Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    UNH 1 seed, Maine 3 seed, BC 4 seed (won HEA tourney) at Anaheim FF in 1999, I think.
    UNH was the #1 seed in the Eastern bracket, and North Dakota was the #1 seed in the West that year. UNH beat Michigan State in the FF semis, and I believe BC knocked off North Dakota in the West Regional Finals. I'm not sure I remember how the FF used to be seeded (or if it was re-seeded?) way back in those years when there was a 12 team NCAA tourney. I bet Greg would know, though.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      UNH was the #1 seed in the Eastern bracket, and North Dakota was the #1 seed in the West that year. UNH beat Michigan State in the FF semis, and I believe BC knocked off North Dakota in the West Regional Finals. I'm not sure I remember how the FF used to be seeded (or if it was re-seeded?) way back in those years when there was a 12 team NCAA tourney. I bet Greg would know, though.
      Dunno about re-seeding; just going by seedings provided on Wikipedia FF site. I remember that many on this board have suggested that a return to the 12-team postseason slate would be better than the current 16. But, I think that 16 teams are necessary to accommodate six potential conference auto seeds. I am always looking for an AHC upset, except when UNH got Umileated by RIT.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        I get that and agree with you that postseason play is a different animal. The opportunity will be there undoubtedly but how many times has an 8 upset a 1? Too lazy to look it up but my guess would be 0!!
        By my count, there's been four instances of an 8 beating a 1 in a three game series in the Hockey East tournament; Merrimack over Boston University in 1998; Boston University over Boston College in 2004; Vermont over New Hampshire in 2010; and Notre Dame over Boston College in 2014. All four took three games, and all four got knocked out by the 2 seed at the Garden in the next game.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          UNH was the #1 seed in the Eastern bracket, and North Dakota was the #1 seed in the West that year. UNH beat Michigan State in the FF semis, and I believe BC knocked off North Dakota in the West Regional Finals. I'm not sure I remember how the FF used to be seeded (or if it was re-seeded?) way back in those years when there was a 12 team NCAA tourney. I bet Greg would know, though.
          It’s always been brackets as far as I know, going back to the old days of when it was called the Final Four. No reseeding. FYI, the first year it was referred to as the Frozen Four was 1999 in Anaheim.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

            Anthony Wyse will be in the lineup this Friday against NU...!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              By my count, there's been four instances of an 8 beating a 1 in a three game series in the Hockey East tournament; Merrimack over Boston University in 1998; Boston University over Boston College in 2004; Vermont over New Hampshire in 2010; and Notre Dame over Boston College in 2014. All four took three games, and all four got knocked out by the 2 seed at the Garden in the next game.
              So four out of thirtyfour. I love a good upset! Anything is possible and it would be satisfying to see UNH take down UMASS but I wouldn't bet on it!
              GO BLUE/GO UNH

              COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                So four out of thirtyfour. I love a good upset! Anything is possible and it would be satisfying to see UNH take down UMASS but I wouldn't bet on it!
                But, we would need to lock up eighth first, which we do not wanna do, or do we?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  But, we would need to lock up eighth first, which we do not wanna do, or do we?
                  BC @ PC tonight. So, we will know if there is anything to play for tomorrow when we wake up...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

                    Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    BC @ PC tonight. So, we will know if there is anything to play for tomorrow when we wake up...
                    Go Friars. BC SUCKS! SIEVE!

                    NBC Sports Boston.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

                      Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Go Friars. BC SUCKS! SIEVE!

                      NBC Sports Boston.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltxzzgGp1g
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

                        Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        BC @ PC tonight. So, we will know if there is anything to play for tomorrow when we wake up...
                        Or for the younger and/or more energetic crowd, before we go to bed!
                        GO BLUE!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                          Or for the younger and/or more energetic crowd, before we go to bed!
                          That is what I was thinking, and I ain't that young, and Dan is two hours earlier in his time zone.

                          Edit: Friars up 1-0 early in third.

                          Edit: make that 2-0.

                          Edit: now 3-0.

                          Assuming that Friars hold on for the W, it is all up to the Cats against Fuskies tomorrow night whether they want to visit Schneider or Mullin.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 03-07-2019, 09:11 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            That is what I was thinking, and I ain't that young, and Dan is two hours earlier in his time zone.

                            Edit: Friars up 1-0 early in third.

                            Edit: make that 2-0.

                            Edit: now 3-0.

                            Assuming that Friars hold on for the W, it is all up to the Cats against Fuskies tomorrow night whether they want to visit Schneider or Mullin.
                            They do hold on - and seventh-place and a trip to PC is in play. Not sure why I worded it the way I did, game was over before I even got home. Basically a matinee...

                            Second-place is out for NU - but they still need at least a point to ensure themselves a third-place finish (without needing to wait on any help)...
                            Last edited by Dan; 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              That is what I was thinking, and I ain't that young, and Dan is two hours earlier in his time zone.

                              Edit: Friars up 1-0 early in third.

                              Edit: make that 2-0.

                              Edit: now 3-0.

                              Assuming that Friars hold on for the W, it is all up to the Cats against Fuskies tomorrow night whether they want to visit Schneider or Mullin.
                              Schneider should be the hope. PC has a problem scoring, especially at home where they have averaged two goals a game over the past month. I can recall at least a couple of times UNH going into Schneider in a best of three and advancing. So let’s get at least a tie tomorrow night.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: UNH v NU & UML to close out the RS

                                Well, hockey is a crazy game. Something to play for tonight. A win would be nice. Give yourself a chance going into the third and have some fun!
                                GO BLUE/GO UNH

                                COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X