X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    USA vs Canada HIGHLIGHTS
    Have game recorded, and plan to watch tomorrow. Will pay special attention to Johnson, as from your description his ability to break the puck out by making the controlled right play without taking undue risk is something the Gophers could really use.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

He looked fast, competed hard and was strong around the net throughout the whole tourney. With all the top draft choices, I was surprised he led in scoring. I expected more last year, but a breakout year for Sampo Ranta would be huge.

Ryan Johnson got the final goal of the tourney as USA beat Canada 5-3. I thought he played solid conservative D, didn't jump in and join the rush. But he skates well, exits the zone with skill, and he's got a nice shot. He'll be solid on the blueline for the Gophers.

USA vs Canada HIGHLIGHTS
      Forgot about these games and happened to just catch end of second and third of USA Canada.

So how did McLaughlin look?
      For Wild Fans, seemed like Caufield was noticeable, but did Boldy not make team?
      How did Brink look?

And yes, hoping for Ranta to turn into the player I thought he was going to be after the first couple games.

Gophs need a number of things to fall into place, including a number of player to step up and finding strong goaltending. A lot of unknowns with such a young team.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Forgot about these games and happened to just catch end of second and third of USA Canada.

So how did McLaughlin look?
        For Wild Fans, seemed like Caufield was noticeable, but did Boldy not make team?
        How did Brink look?

And yes, hoping for Ranta to turn into the player I thought he was going to be after the first couple games.

Gophs need a number of things to fall into place, including a number of player to step up and finding strong goaltending. A lot of unknowns with such a young team.
        McLaughlin unfortunately didn't see a lot of ice time vs Canada. Sandelin had him as a 13th forward, so he subbed in for a few shifts in the Canada game, but that was it. USA was loaded down with top draft picks. Overall, IIRC he had a G and A in the tourney. Trying to find some chemistry by subbing in with various linemates in a short tourney can be frustrating, although you could tell his speed was there.

Boldy was on the team, and had some nice looks against the Fins. I liked the puck movement from Boldy, he looked confident and creative with the puck, a true playmaker with a quick release shot. Brink was feisty and ended up in a fight during the Canada game, high compete level...excellent speed.

Caufield is an excellent sniper in space, accurate hard shot, but not a great stickhandler with tremendous speed to blow by players on open ice. Needs to be paired with a skilled playmaker (eg. Hughes was his linemate). But I didn't see him playing the corners much. IMO Cole Caufield plays with a lot of confidence and competes hard like he has something to prove with his smaller stature. Definitely a potential B1G Rookie of the Year candidate.

Comment

SteveO, very much appreciate your reports.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            SteveO, very much appreciate your reports.
            Thanks, my pleasure D2D

Draft picks on the WJSS USA squad per round:

First Round 11
            Second Round 7
            Third Round 4
            Fourth Round 3
            Fifth Round 3

I think with Ranta leading all scorers and Ryan Johnson delivering a solid D performance, they're both a lock for the 2020 WJC. Although Blake McLaughlin's compete level was consistent, he had limited ice time and with high end draft choices as competition for a roster spot, there's a good chance he might not make the cut.

If so, we may only be missing a couple guys for the Mariucci Classic, which is good considering PWR implications at that stage against either SCSU or MSUM. Always looking down the road.

Comment

If so, we may only be missing a couple guys for the Mariucci Classic, which is good considering PWR implications at that stage against either SCSU or MSUM. Always looking down the road.
              I guess the question then becomes: How many will each of those teams likely be missing?

Comment

I guess the question then becomes: How many will each of those teams likely be missing?
                We don't have anyone that young at Kato.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  We don't have anyone that young at Kato.
                  Thanks for the info, purple. That leaves St. Cloud, do they have any possibilities for the World Juniors?

Comment

Thanks for the info, purple. That leaves St. Cloud, do they have any possibilities for the World Juniors?
                    Line chart and healthy scratches from the USA vs Canada game: HERE

From what I can tell, there were no SCSU players on the USA team. The final cut for the 2020 WJC will come off this roster. Team USA is in a tough grouping again and opens the 2020 WJC vs Canada on Thurs. Dec. 26. IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.

Group A

TEAM/2019 FINISH

Finland/Gold
                    Switzerland/Fourth
                    Sweden/Fifth
                    Slovakia/Eighth
                    Kazakhstan/Ninth

Group B

TEAM/2019 FINISH

United States/Silver
                    Russia/Bronze
                    Canada/Sixth
                    Czech Republic/Seventh
                    Germany/Promoted

Comment

From what I can tell, there were no SCSU players on the USA team. The final cut for the 2020 WJC will come off this roster. Team USA is in a tough grouping again and opens the 2020 WJC vs Canada on Thurs. Dec. 26. IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.

Group A

TEAM/2019 FINISH

Finland/Gold
                      Switzerland/Fourth
                      Sweden/Fifth
                      Slovakia/Eighth
                      Kazakhstan/Ninth

Group B

TEAM/2019 FINISH

United States/Silver
                      Russia/Bronze
                      Canada/Sixth
                      Czech Republic/Seventh
                      Germany/Promoted
                      I don't recall exactly, but I thought Brent Larson was mentioned as one of Sandelin's possible assistants.

Comment

That Tonka team from 2 years ago could have gone undefeated (although they still won it all), and last year with Brink...

Comment

IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.
                          The WJC has always been my favorite tournament to watch (only exception being when the Gophers make it to the Frozen Four )

Comment

The WJC has always been my favorite tournament to watch (only exception being when the Gophers make it to the Frozen Four )
                            The 2020 WJC is really going to be competitive. I don't think there's ever been this many 1st round NHL draft picks in the tourney. 24 of the 31 first rounders will be in the tourney: USA/11, Canada/7, Sweden/4, Finland/2. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              That Tonka team from 2 years ago could have gone undefeated (although they still won it all), and last year with Brink...
                              IMO, Edina should have been the number one seed.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                IMO, Edina should have been the number one seed.
                                Bless your heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X