Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Whatever it takes to enable them to skate with the Nodaks.
    Who incidentally get almost all of their players from places other than Nodak.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
      When did the slide begin? Was it the NCAA loss to Union?
      They raised ticket prices, and re-organized all the season ticket holders (the latter pizzed off a LOT of fans). This season, IIRC, they dropped ticket prices, but raised the "voluntary" donation amount, which you can't write off anymore, so it is a wash on overall cost to consumer.

It's NOT cheap to be a season ticket holder. If MN isn't the most expensive college hockey seat in the nation, they are close. I would guess UND is probably the closest to MN in pricing.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        They raised ticket prices, and re-organized all the season ticket holders (the latter pizzed off a LOT of fans). This season, IIRC, they dropped ticket prices, but raised the "voluntary" donation amount, which you can't write off anymore, so it is a wash on overall cost to consumer.

It's NOT cheap to be a season ticket holder. If MN isn't the most expensive college hockey seat in the nation, they are close. I would guess UND is probably the closest to MN in pricing.
        I wonder how much effect our screen addiction is having on rink attendances country-wide. If the camera work is good, and more programs are getting that compared to years ago, it's pretty tempting for fans to save their money and watch the games from their favorite environment. Unfortunately, it's increasingly the way we interact with the world these days.

UND isn't filling all their seats either, and it's pretty much the only show in a hockey loving town. Putting a winner on the ice would probably change things, but you can't do that every year, no matter what program or what era they are playing in.

This isn't a new point here, I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          I wonder how much effect our screen addiction is having on rink attendances country-wide. If the camera work is good, and more programs are getting that compared to years ago, it's pretty tempting for fans to save their money and watch the games from their favorite environment. Unfortunately, it's increasingly the way we interact with the world these days.

UND isn't filling all their seats either, and it's pretty much the only show in a hockey loving town. Putting a winner on the ice would probably change things, but you can't do that every year, no matter what program or what era they are playing in.

There’s a lot more entertainment out there these days. Years ago, you were either gonna take the family to the hockey game or spend another weekend night watching Predator on VHS. We’ve all seen Predator a dozen times. Hockey game it is.

Not any more. Now you can stream anything or get the boys(or girls) up on the PS4 blower and play Battle Royales.

Comment

I thought to mention this as well. Other than ticket prices, this could be the second greatest factor affecting attendance. With FSN and BTN, the Gophers have one of the most comprehensive media packages in all of college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              I thought to mention this as well. Other than ticket prices, this could be the second greatest factor affecting attendance. With FSN and BTN, the Gophers have one of the most comprehensive media packages in all of college hockey.
              The key thing here is camera work, IMO. I can deal with bad play-by-play, but bad camera work for hockey can make watching nearly intolerable.

NCHC TV is not expensive, and I can watch the vast majority of UND games, home and away. Not that long ago, production in some smaller rinks was pretty bad due to inexperienced camera work. It has gotten much better now.

Hockey should be viewed in person--there's so much to see away from the puck. But if being there is a little too expensive, or the drive is too long or frustrating, or you have family commitments, watching from your own living room is pretty dam good. Drinks are cheaper, and depending on whether you have daughters, there's rarely a line at the head.
              Last edited by burd; 07-06-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

The key thing here is camera work, IMO. I can deal with bad play-by-play, but bad camera work for hockey can make watching nearly intolerable.

NCHC TV is not expensive, and I can watch the vast majority of UND games, home and away. Not that long ago, production in some smaller rinks was pretty bad due to inexperienced camera work. It has gotten much better now.

Hockey should be viewed in person--there's so much to see away from the puck. But if being there is a little too expensive, or the drive is too long or frustrating, or you have family commitments, watching from your own living room is pretty dam good. Drinks are cheaper, and depending on whether you have daughters, there's rarely a line at the head.
                Haha, good one burd. I like the mixture of going to most/all of the home games, for the reasons you mention, while viewing the away games on TV, with all the conveniences you mention. Good post.

Comment

I'm very interested to see the jazz Ryan Johnson, a 1st round pick of the Buffalo Sabres, will bring to the blueline this season. This kid has star power.

At the Sabres development camp which ended on June 29, he displayed high-quality skating and some awesome puck handling abilities. He showcased his stuff before the Sabres brass with a highlight reel shootout goal in the final win for Team Blue, who prevailed in the shootout over Team Gold after the game finished 1-1. HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

I'm very interested to see the jazz Ryan Johnson, a 1st round pick of the Buffalo Sabres, will bring to the blueline this season. This kid has star power.

At the Sabres development camp which ended on June 29, he displayed high-quality skating and some awesome puck handling abilities. He showcased his stuff before the Sabres brass with a highlight reel shootout goal in the final win for Team Blue, who prevailed in the shootout over Team Gold after the game finished 1-1. HIGHLIGHTS
                    The scouting pros and cons of Johnson.

Comment

Don't forget Bob also brought in a 39th overall D man in LaCombe. So he brought in the two highest drafted D men since Skjei to a team that ended with a pathetic d unit under the old regime.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Don't forget Bob also brought in a 39th overall D man in LaCombe. So he brought in the two highest drafted D men since Skjei to a team that ended with a pathetic d unit under the old regime.
                        Hopefully these two will push the returning D to become more complete players.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Hopefully these two will push the returning D to become more complete players.
                          Brinkman will be fine. A few of the rest may be hopeless, but that's okay.

2020-21
                          Brinkman Junior (should not go pro next summer)
                          Johnson Sophomore
                          LaCombe Sophomore
                          Koster Freshman after one full USHL year

My goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            The scouting pros and cons of Johnson.
                            I'm not sure about this guys scoring criteria. Ryan Johnson led the Clark Cup champion Sioux Falls Stampede +/- @ +24 last season, which is quite high. A Dman can't achieve that mark without knowing how to play position hockey. He made a couple negative comments about Ryan in the video stating there are "many, many times...I've seen instances where Ryan Johnson was clearly out of position and the intensity to get back in position was just not there"?

I wonder how many games and at what phase of the USHL season he made his assessment? I also wonder what criteria he's using for Dman to designate "high and medium danger zones"? He didn't list any of that data on his spreadsheet.
                            Last edited by SteveO; 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

War on Ice (after two seasons the website was closed) was one of the first stat sites to really begin to break down their data into zones. They assigned each area of the ice a danger score of low, medium, or high. As a result, each player had a low danger shooting percentage, a medium danger one, and a high danger one. These are currently used in Corsica analysis of shot quality and expected goals. The original intent was to analyze saves from various zones. It can also be used to analyze a forward's shot quality, but to apply this analysis to defensemen seems redundant as most D would be shooting from a low danger area. In game time situations, the danger zone definitions as indicated below are arguably a bit subjective and arbitrary.

Low Danger: less than 3.0%
                              Medium Danger: Less than 9.0% and equal or greater than 3.0%
                              High Danger: Equal or greater than 9.0%

Image result for expected goals by zones

Comment

War on Ice (after two seasons the website was closed) was one of the first stat sites to really begin to break down their data into zones. They assigned each area of the ice a danger score of low, medium, or high. As a result, each player had a low danger shooting percentage, a medium danger one, and a high danger one. These are currently used in Corsica analysis of shot quality and expected goals. The original intent was to analyze saves from various zones. It can also be used to analyze a forward's shot quality, but to apply this analysis to defensemen seems redundant as most D would be shooting from a low danger area. In game time situations, the danger zone definitions as indicated below are arguably a bit subjective and arbitrary.

Low Danger: less than 3.0%
                                Medium Danger: Less than 9.0% and equal or greater than 3.0%
                                High Danger: Equal or greater than 9.0%

Image result for expected goals by zones
                                But it would be interesting to have the data on where the opponents shot from when a D man is on the ice? Does the particular D man give quality shot opportunities or does he force them out into the less dangerous zones? I understand that such a stat would involve the positional play of the whole team in their D zone, but it would be interesting to see how it varies from D man to D man.

Comment

Working...
                                X