Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't think this has been posted here;

https://www.twincities.com/2020/07/3...-wcha-men/amp/

"Now Robertson [WCHA commissioner] must piece together a disparate group of startups with no regional ties to keep the men’s conference alive. Among teams he is courting: Arizona State, Long Island University, Lindenwood University (LU) in St. Charles, Mo. — which played a club schedule in 2019-20 — and Simon Fraser University (SFU) of Vancouver, B.C., which is working on the process of becoming Division I team."

UA* (3X), ASU, LIU, LU, and SFU?

the two closest distances would be UAA to UAF (~353 miles) and LU to UAH (~436 miles). if teleportation is possible, this is possible. otherwise...

LIU might as well change their mascot name from sharks to land sharks... hell, maybe it needs to actually be flying sharks instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post

ASU joining Hockey East would also be a marriage of convenience. I'm not predicting it, but I'm slightly less skeptical about it than I am Sacred Heart joining HE.
      Sorry, this suggestion is just ridiculous. While there is some convenience to having an even number of teams, that is far outweighed by the inconvenience and cost of flying in what is currently strictly a bus-only league. They learned their lesson with the Fighting Irish (Why, exactly, is that racist/classist moniker still allowed?).
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Sorry, this suggestion is just ridiculous. While there is some convenience to having an even number of teams, that is far outweighed by the inconvenience and cost of flying in what is currently strictly a bus-only league. They learned their lesson with the Fighting Irish (Why, exactly, is that racist/classist moniker still allowed?).
        It's not ridiculous. I already said I'm not going out on a limb and predicting it will happen. But keep in mind that while the fanbases were never enthused about Notre Dame, the ADs and presidents were. Hockey East teams were being nationally televised on NBCsn!

As for flying, Jack Parker was flying his teams into Bangor back in the 80s. Sure, BU isn't one of the have-nots in Hockey East so bad example, right? But that's my point. The top tier teams in HE don't want any more have-nots. Of course they'd prefer Syracuse. They'd happily settle for URI. And if they allow ASU in for a few seasons until circumstances change and ASU leaves for a conference that makes more sense, HE can go back to pining for Syracuse and URI. No harm, no foul, everyone's happy. Except SHU.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
          i don't think this has been posted here;

https://www.twincities.com/2020/07/3...-wcha-men/amp/

"Now Robertson [WCHA commissioner] must piece together a disparate group of startups with no regional ties to keep the men’s conference alive. Among teams he is courting: Arizona State, Long Island University, Lindenwood University (LU) in St. Charles, Mo. — which played a club schedule in 2019-20 — and Simon Fraser University (SFU) of Vancouver, B.C., which is working on the process of becoming Division I team."

UA* (3X), ASU, LIU, LU, and SFU?

the two closest distances would be UAA to UAF (~353 miles) and LU to UAH (~436 miles). if teleportation is possible, this is possible. otherwise...

LIU might as well change their mascot name from sharks to land sharks... hell, maybe it needs to actually be flying sharks instead.
          Man, if you got me super drunk in 2010 after the CHA folded and told me this was the case, my thoughts would be, in order:

1. Why is UAH in the WCHA?
          2. How is UAH still a program?

You'd interrupt me, "Fans have saved the program from cancellation, twice." I'd close my eyes, nod slowly, and go back to my thinking...

3. This league is even more geographically hosed than the CHA.
          4. This league won't manage more than three seasons.
          5. I guess the CCHA still hates biscuits.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
            The Long Island University Sharknado
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

*sees fuel*

*grabs matches*

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Exploring.php

UAH and LIU. And Navy, if everyone’s been reading the tea leaves (and varying reports from generally credible college hockey reporters) correctly.

And this time it’s not a bunch of us guessing on forums and twitter, or some jamoke with a blog.

Its the AHA commish floating the idea to AHA ADs.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                *sees fuel*

*grabs matches*

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Exploring.php

UAH and LIU. And Navy, if everyone’s been reading the tea leaves (and varying reports from generally credible college hockey reporters) correctly.

And this time it’s not a bunch of us guessing on forums and twitter, or some jamoke with a blog.

Its the AHA commish floating the idea to AHA ADs.
                Navy is still likely a LONG way off, especially now with pandemic federal budget deficits. Although I do remember hearing that when Navy built the McMullen Hockey Arena, it was constructed with Atlantic Hockey specs in mind and with space for expandable seating if/when the program moved to NCAA DI from its current ACHA DI level.

The 14th AHA program might be Lindenwood (Mo), It's just about the worst kept secret in College Hockey right now. In that case the conference could work a schedule focused on split divisions with a West Division and East Division. LU-RMU-Mercyhurst-Canisius-Niagara-RIT-UAH = 7 and LIU-Bentley-Holy Cross-AIC-SHU-Army-Air Force (Keep Service academies in same div).

When LU originally started men's and women's hockey, the university explored playing NCAA DI hockey while maintaining NAIA affiliation for the other sports. Article Here from 2004: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...lindenwood.php They eventually went NCAA for the entire athletic department and joined the CHA for women's hockey. The LU Ice Arena was not DI men's hockey ready so until the Centene Center, men have continued to play ACHA DI. They have history with CHA partners from the women's side with schools like RMU, Hurst, and RIT. Plus they'd be manageable travel with UAH. Although the CCHA would likely be LU's preferred home, having a conference would be preferred to going independent (ASU is really an exception being in a travel friendly, tourist hub.)

Comment

Hockey East will probably add a 12th team at some point. So, Atlantic Hockey, please load up. Take everyone you can. And when the dust settles maybe one of those programs becomes a candidate for Hockey East like UConn.

Would love to see Navy join Army and Air Force. Current Navy AD is Chet Gladchuk, who was the BC AD before that. He hired Jerry York after the Mike Milbury fiasco. Without knowing when/if Navy starts a program, LIU certainly seems like the most logical addition for Atlantic Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Hockey East will probably add a 12th team at some point... when the dust settles maybe one of those programs becomes a candidate for Hockey East like UConn.
                    My money would be on Holy Cross eventually moving to Hockey East. Seems like an odd move from a success stand point, but their D-I women's team already plays in Hockey East so they'll have some pull in spite of their lack of on-ice success.

Comment

At this point, we assume that the men's side of the WCHA is done, however what is the official status? Has anyone heard any rumblings? UAF is a member and UAA is technically without hockey for now unless they can find more funding. What is UAH's official status? Did they ever withdraw their letter of intent to leave the WCHA when they were not invited to the CCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        My money would be on Holy Cross eventually moving to Hockey East. Seems like an odd move from a success stand point, but their D-I women's team already plays in Hockey East so they'll have some pull in spite of their lack of on-ice success.
                        I've been wondering if Holy Cross might not drop men's hockey at some point soon. Mind you, THIS ISN'T A PREDICTION. But two consecutive head coaches have left the program for a demotion or unspecified other opportunities. HC has been tightening the athletic budget for decades now. Makes you wonder.

Comment

Q will eventually willingly join HEA or get booted from the ECAC for Phoenix University-level academics. They were born for Hockey East.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            At this point, we assume that the men's side of the WCHA is done, however what is the official status? Has anyone heard any rumblings? UAF is a member and UAA is technically without hockey for now unless they can find more funding. What is UAH's official status? Did they ever withdraw their letter of intent to leave the WCHA when they were not invited to the CCHA?
                            WCHA 2.0 is done. Alaska announced an independent schedule for 2021-22. Huntsville hasn't announced what they're doing, except opting out of the conference. If Fairbanks is somehow saved, they'll also have to go the independent route. My guess is that there will be one last meeting where the member schools will vote to dissolve the conference and make it official.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

WCHA 2.0 is done. Alaska announced an independent schedule for 2021-22. Huntsville hasn't announced what they're doing, except opting out of the conference. If Fairbanks is somehow saved, they'll also have to go the independent route. My guess is that there will be one last meeting where the member schools will vote to dissolve the conference and make it official.
                              UAH is making their pitch to Atlantic, which will discuss expansion at their June meetings. If they expand, they may add up to three: UAH, Long Island, and/or a third (which is suspected to be Navy finally going varsity). If we don't get in, we're done for good.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post

UAH is making their pitch to Atlantic, which will discuss expansion at their June meetings. If they expand, they may add up to three: UAH, Long Island, and/or a third (which is suspected to be Navy finally going varsity). If we don't get in, we're done for good.
                                it's from february but i think LU has a better chance than navy...

"Lindenwood University To Add Division I NCAA Hockey"

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021...aa-hockey.html

Comment

Working...
                                X