Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Atlantic Hockey Accepts UAH, They're the New College Hockey America

Discuss.

Okay, just kidding. You'd have four of the five extant CHA programs (less Bemidji State), plus Army, which was possibly headed to the CHA before going to the MAAC.

It always felt like it "worked" that MAAC/AHA and CHA were the "walk-on" leagues where programs figured out if they could cut it at this level, self-assigned by geography. AH always had the numbers and reduced geographic footprint to keep costs down and reduce concerns about any single program failing dragging down the rest. Also, if a team rose up (Quinnipiac, Connecticut), it didn't put the league in danger.

If UAH and LIU come as a quasi-package deal, it attenuates the geography impact of throwing a team from Alabama in with a team from Colorado.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

UAH needs to get on the phone and broker a league wide air travel package via Air Force. Huntsville's connection to NASA and government should get their foot in the door with Air Force to have the conversations. Cadets can build their flight hours and AH never has to bus again... it's a win all around for the conference and UAH.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

The major problem with admitting both LIU and UAH is the member numbers. It would still be odd unless you add another(Navy would be great) or drop one going to another league or dropping out. If Navy were to join, 14 is a little too high for one league, would the league split in two? The Army airfield nearby instead of Huntsville International could help with any of the service academies too. Huntsville is a lot closer for the rest of the league than Colorado Springs but still a flight for everyone. Would UAH possibly move a few home games to Atlanta or Nashville to tempt the teams that may object?

Comment

this story is not even close to being over... fives teams are homeless right now; UAA, UAF, UAH, LIU, & ASU. maybe throw in navy as well?

even if the ice product sucks this coming season because of this pandamic, the off the ice happenings should be exciting...

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
          Would UAH possibly move a few home games to Atlanta or Nashville to tempt the teams that may object?
          No.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            UAH needs to get on the phone and broker a league wide air travel package via Air Force. Huntsville's connection to NASA and government should get their foot in the door with Air Force to have the conversations. Cadets can build their flight hours and AH never has to bus again... it's a win all around for the conference and UAH.
            We have a hard enough time getting more than three people into space at a time. (I'm not looking forward to planning activities for five people come October.)

Also, USAFA and USMA have no love for UAH.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              The major problem with admitting both LIU and UAH is the member numbers. It would still be odd unless you add another(Navy would be great) or drop one going to another league or dropping out. If Navy were to join, 14 is a little too high for one league, would the league split in two? The Army airfield nearby instead of Huntsville International could help with any of the service academies too. Huntsville is a lot closer for the rest of the league than Colorado Springs but still a flight for everyone. Would UAH possibly move a few home games to Atlanta or Nashville to tempt the teams that may object?
              Where would you expect them to play in Atlanta or Nashville?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

Where would you expect them to play in Atlanta or Nashville?
                Please note that UAH has only played the one series at the Gaylord in the last decade. The idea was that 'Mack fans would be more likely to travel to the bigger city, and I gotta tell ya, having all those restaurants and bars (remember when you could safely go to those?) within two blocks of the rink was super nice. But the money ended up not working for anyone.

Atlanta hockey is dead above the Glads.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

As much as I'd like to see Huntsville join the AHA, I was skeptical before the pandemic based on budgetary concerns. Now? An annual trip to Alabama might be the difference between a few AHA schools keeping hockey or cutting it.

With LIU, travel costs aren't a concern, but how much worse do we want our OOC record to get?! Maybe a few years down the road....

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Please note that UAH has only played the one series at the Gaylord in the last decade. The idea was that 'Mack fans would be more likely to travel to the bigger city, and I gotta tell ya, having all those restaurants and bars (remember when you could safely go to those?) within two blocks of the rink was super nice. But the money ended up not working for anyone.

Atlanta hockey is dead above the Glads.

GFM
                    I know the Preds and UAH have had a good relationship, but numbers are numbers. It will be interesting to see when the Preds add another facility in Metro Nashville and if they put an AHL/ECHL affiliate at the new barn in Clarkesville. Or maybe Austin Peay...

"The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

SHU to Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey NoNo View Post
                        SHU to Hockey East.
                        Crazy as it sounds, don't sleep on ASU. If Hockey East teams were willing to fly to South Bend, why not Arizona?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post

Crazy as it sounds, don't sleep on ASU. If Hockey East teams were willing to fly to South Bend, why not Arizona?
                          Depends on if their fans’ relief at no longer having that trip to South Bend is reflective of how the ADs feel.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post

Hockey East teams were never happy about the South Bend trip; nor was ND happy about having to fly to New England several times a year. Everybody knew ND/HEA was a marriage of convenience until something better came along. The idea of Arizona State as a Hockey East member is DOA.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Hockey East teams were never happy about the South Bend trip; nor was ND happy about having to fly to New England several times a year. Everybody knew ND/HEA was a marriage of convenience until something better came along. The idea of Arizona State as a Hockey East member is DOA.
                              ASU joining Hockey East would also be a marriage of convenience. I'm not predicting it, but I'm slightly less skeptical about it than I am Sacred Heart joining HE.

Comment

Working...
                              X