No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

What with RPI losing by three goals and all the technical difficulties, it was really an ordeal listening to tonight's game.

On the scores thread, there was talk about whether Yale should have had a landline available for the broadcast. I can tell a story about the old days of sports broadcasting using landlines.

During my student days, there was a time when Albany State (as they were commonly known back then) was scheduled to play a basketball game at Siena. Siena was a Division III program at the time (as was Albany), and its home court, Gibbons Hall, was on the smallish side. There was a pretty big crowd expected for the game, so they decided to play the game at Troy High with its much larger seating capacity.

As it happened, I got a seat right behind Albany State's radio announcing team. The game started and the play-by-play guy was busily doing his thing, when all of a sudden he took off his headset and told his partner he'd just been informed that Albany State's broadcast was going out over Siena's student radio station. There had been a mix-up in how the phone lines were set up.

The play-by-play guy's partner ran off to find a pay phone (I told you this was the old days) so that he could call the phone company and give them holy hockey sticks for setting up the phone lines wrong. Meantime, the Albany State radio crew and the Siena crew got together and had an brilliant idea. If Albany State's phone line was connected to Siena's phone jack and Siena's line was connected to Albany State's jack, all they needed to do was plug each phone line into the other jack and everything would be fine.

They did that, and Albany State's play-by-play guy went back to work - only to take off his headset in disgust again minutes later, because after the engineers had switched the lines on site, his partner's frantic call had gotten the phone company's attention, and the phone company had switched the lines on the other end, so that Albany State's broadcast was once again going out over Siena's station and vice versa.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

I feel like going to these games actually leads to a net negative in our cheering differential. The Yale fans basically wouldn't cheer at all if it wasn't in response to me yelling something. whomp whomp
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

There was a post game interview, but no mention of Wiffen's injury. Has anyone heard anything about the seriousness of the injury? I didn't look good to me.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          There was a post game interview, but no mention of Wiffen's injury. Has anyone heard anything about the seriousness of the injury? I didn't look good to me.
          He’s out for tonight’s game.

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            I feel like going to these games actually leads to a net negative in our cheering differential. The Yale fans basically wouldn't cheer at all if it wasn't in response to me yelling something. whomp whomp
            Yale was pretty honest with the announced attendance 1,444. My estimate was 1,500. At the opening faceoff it couldn't have been moe than 1,000.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              Gotta love it when that happens. I know I've pulled that off a few times at SLU and Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                What with RPI losing by three goals and all the technical difficulties, it was really an ordeal listening to tonight's game.

On the scores thread, there was talk about whether Yale should have had a landline available for the broadcast. I can tell a story about the old days of sports broadcasting using landlines.

During my student days, there was a time when Albany State (as they were commonly known back then) was scheduled to play a basketball game at Siena. Siena was a Division III program at the time (as was Albany), and its home court, Gibbons Hall, was on the smallish side. There was a pretty big crowd expected for the game, so they decided to play the game at Troy High with its much larger seating capacity.

As it happened, I got a seat right behind Albany State's radio announcing team. The game started and the play-by-play guy was busily doing his thing, when all of a sudden he took off his headset and told his partner he'd just been informed that Albany State's broadcast was going out over Siena's student radio station. There had been a mix-up in how the phone lines were set up.

The play-by-play guy's partner ran off to find a pay phone (I told you this was the old days) so that he could call the phone company and give them holy hockey sticks for setting up the phone lines wrong. Meantime, the Albany State radio crew and the Siena crew got together and had an brilliant idea. If Albany State's phone line was connected to Siena's phone jack and Siena's line was connected to Albany State's jack, all they needed to do was plug each phone line into the other jack and everything would be fine.

They did that, and Albany State's play-by-play guy went back to work - only to take off his headset in disgust again minutes later, because after the engineers had switched the lines on site, his partner's frantic call had gotten the phone company's attention, and the phone company had switched the lines on the other end, so that Albany State's broadcast was once again going out over Siena's station and vice versa.
                Here's to one-upping the phone company... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMJL8WBeOIs

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  Yale was pretty honest with the announced attendance 1,444. My estimate was 1,500. At the opening faceoff it couldn't have been moe than 1,000.
                  Students left for spring break Friday, locals preparing for Sundays St. Patricks Day Parade.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Students left for spring break Friday, locals preparing for Sundays St. Patricks Day Parade.
                    So if there is a game on Sunday, no one will be there?
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Freshman looked scared to death last night, transfers non existent.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                        Freshman looked scared to death last night, transfers non existent.
                        First time in that situation, not surprising. Might actually be a culmination of why we've seen flashes of brilliance among fields of mediocrity. In essence, they choked. Gotta figure out a way to stay loose out there.

Comment

Since the word is that Coach Smith is looking for a new assistant coach maybe a new assistant can help overcome mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                            Since the word is that Coach Smith is looking for a new assistant coach maybe a new assistant can help overcome mediocrity.
                            The search is probably because of Nolan Graham's situation, and the newest AC was brought in on a temporary basis. But if you think one AC will help this, I'd say you're looking into these posts a bit too much. It's not the concepts that are the problem, but rather the execution. The coaches can preach until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, it's up to the players to get the job done on the ice.

Comment

As my old buddy Mike Addesa used to say…it’s all about the eye and the sales pitch! 😊

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSeqrZ0h2s
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X