No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    Just wanted to respond to the thread here. First off I have been a hockey fan for 42 years and an RPI season ticket holder for 27 years. I am not going anywhere. Second. While it may seem like people like me are dumping on the team and program,I think if we didn't care, we wouldn't post. Yes this team has taken steps forward. But we have also said that before. Burgess "was" 4.25, but no longer. Jerry was real good,now sits on the bench. And so on. The vast majority, vast majority of the season we were a less than 2gpg team. Then along comes Savory. There were glimmers of team greatness, but then that dimmed. And now we are hoping this was a bump in the road. I think what you should take away from this is we are a hungry fan base. The important word there is base. And we have looked for answers in every nook and cranny. The players, the coach, the AD, SAJ, the facilities have all had fingers pointed at them. I agree with and applaud your efforts to get the student body behind this team. There are things that could help: open the Shirley box seats to various groups like school clubs and organizations, out of town alumni, youth groups and so on (SAJ doesn't use it and most games it is dark). And how about this...For away games have one or two non dressed players do the commentary. Be good for them, good for WRPI, good for the fans, good for the school. Union with a more successful team lately and a recent national championship has no radio coverage, I don't believe. So yes we are down. We suffer from a chronic case of disappointment. I think after all the years and all the lean ones, we have the right to voice our concern and offer suggestions.
    It would be a great idea for players to broadcast, but there are a couple of problems. One, not everyone has a radio voice, and two, the ECAC only allows a limited number of players to travel any given week. The coach would not like those spots to be taken up by broadcasters, although perhaps it could be a way to circumvent that limit.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

A couple of things .....

The first round of Hobey Baker nominees .... all schools nominate 1 player. Some teams put up more then 1 nominee and the committee decides if they should be part of the fan voting. So in Hayhurst case each of the past 2 years Coach Smith has nominated him. To reach the top 10 its a combination of fan voting and the committee who decide who belongs in that category.

Billy Jerry has been out with Mono and discovered that he had been playing with it in the first semester.

NLI and time frame for coming in. Its a contract for the season that you sign to attend. It could be this year or a specific year in time once you are eligible to sign. The soonest that you can sign an NLI is the Fall of your Senior year in High School. NLI's can also be delayed if both parties agree to delaying the entrance.

Don't be surprised if Wil Reiley isn't signed by Pittsburgh at the conclusion of this season or in the early summer months. All teams want to keep their draft picks if they feel they have potential to develop. With salary cap situations the cheap players come after round 1. It will not surprise me at all if Reilly doesn't return.

I think Hayhurst is a fine player. I don't agree with all of the accolades that the posters on this board like to send his way. He may be our best point getter over the past 2 years but that doesn't make him the teams best player IMO.

I would also no be surprised if Marshall does transfer after this season. He's not going to sit behind Savory when he was the #1 and being regarded as a potential NHL prospect. Smith was worried this summer that Chicago was going to sign him and from what I hear Smith reached out to bring in another goalie and presented an offer only to pull it. Savory came in as the #3 and pushed his way into the discussion and that was helped by Perry's injury early in the process.

This team needs players with solid hockey IQ. That is one area they are lacking in severely. You can pick late developing players and have successful programs. Ben Barr has been successful with his programs not because of the grade A recruits but because of the B and C recruits that he finds.

Just my opinion....... GO RED

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
        A couple of things .....

The first round of Hobey Baker nominees .... all schools nominate 1 player. Some teams put up more then 1 nominee and the committee decides if they should be part of the fan voting. So in Hayhurst case each of the past 2 years Coach Smith has nominated him. To reach the top 10 its a combination of fan voting and the committee who decide who belongs in that category.

Billy Jerry has been out with Mono and discovered that he had been playing with it in the first semester.

NLI and time frame for coming in. Its a contract for the season that you sign to attend. It could be this year or a specific year in time once you are eligible to sign. The soonest that you can sign an NLI is the Fall of your Senior year in High School. NLI's can also be delayed if both parties agree to delaying the entrance.

Don't be surprised if Wil Reiley isn't signed by Pittsburgh at the conclusion of this season or in the early summer months. All teams want to keep their draft picks if they feel they have potential to develop. With salary cap situations the cheap players come after round 1. It will not surprise me at all if Reilly doesn't return.

I think Hayhurst is a fine player. I don't agree with all of the accolades that the posters on this board like to send his way. He may be our best point getter over the past 2 years but that doesn't make him the teams best player IMO.

I would also no be surprised if Marshall does transfer after this season. He's not going to sit behind Savory when he was the #1 and being regarded as a potential NHL prospect. Smith was worried this summer that Chicago was going to sign him and from what I hear Smith reached out to bring in another goalie and presented an offer only to pull it. Savory came in as the #3 and pushed his way into the discussion and that was helped by Perry's injury early in the process.

This team needs players with solid hockey IQ. That is one area they are lacking in severely. You can pick late developing players and have successful programs. Ben Barr has been successful with his programs not because of the grade A recruits but because of the B and C recruits that he finds.

Just my opinion....... GO RED
        Thanks specifically for the report on Jerry.

Re Reilly: I just don't expect him to play in higher than the ECHL if he signs now. It doesn't seem like a good move to me, but it's not like I know anything.

Re Marshall: He has shown weaknesses at RPI. Unless he gets convinced that he can overcome them better somewhere else, I would not expect him to leave, but it does seem more likely than a few weeks ago. If he does leave we are in trouble in goal for next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Thanks specifically for the report on Jerry.

Re Reilly: I just don't expect him to play in higher than the ECHL if he signs now. It doesn't seem like a good move to me, but it's not like I know anything.

Re Marshall: He has shown weaknesses at RPI. Unless he gets convinced that he can overcome them better somewhere else, I would not expect him to leave, but it does seem more likely than a few weeks ago. If he does leave we are in trouble in goal for next season.
          No one expected Mike Prapavessis to sign anything more then an ECHL deal after Dallas passed on signing him. Not only did he get an AHL offer from Columbus but after he went though the Prospects tournament and attend Columbus's NHL camp, while playing in a couple of preseason games, Columbus signed him to an NHL contract. IMO Reilly is a better player then Praps. I also believe that Reilly is reaching free agency if Pittsburgh doesn't sign him. I know that they have been watching him closely the second half of the season with a development coach in attendance on an almost regular basis.

Goalies are a funny group. I just don't see Marshall staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
            No one expected Mike Prapavessis to sign anything more then an ECHL deal after Dallas passed on signing him. Not only did he get an AHL offer from Columbus but after he went though the Prospects tournament and attend Columbus's NHL camp, while playing in a couple of preseason games, Columbus signed him to an NHL contract. IMO Reilly is a better player then Praps. I also believe that Reilly is reaching free agency if Pittsburgh doesn't sign him. I know that they have been watching him closely the second half of the season with a development coach in attendance on an almost regular basis.

Goalies are a funny group. I just don't see Marshall staying.
            Unless I am mistaken, Reilly won't be a free agent until sometime after he graduates.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              My friend at WRPI actually asked if I'd be interested in announcing for hockey games, and I ended up saying yes. He said I should hear from someone at WRPI, so they can train me and get me on that, and I never ended up hearing from anyone. Not sure what's up with that, but honestly I'd much rather sit in the student section for home games than announce. However, if they want someone to do away games, I'd be more than willing to do that.
              Not sure when you said yes; if it was recently, that's probably why, because there really aren't many opportunities. Jericho, have you been slacking?

Comment

Yes, I am a current student (Sophomore), and Red Army is the official student fan group and official student fan section for RPI Athletics (mainly just hockey since that's the only D1 sport here)

I must be mistaken, but I thought that in NCAA Division 1 athletics that signing your NLI locked in the recruit to entering the school and program the next fall? I mainly followed football growing up, and I know that is how it works for football. I just assumed that's what it is for hockey too, which is why I assumed all 9 players who signed would be coming in the fall. If that's not true, then hopefully we can get Beaton to come in if Fontaine cannot. They appear to be the most offensively touted recruits. Regardless, the freshman class this year has been pretty good, and I have high hopes for next season.
                Sometimes, the school is persuaded to cancel the NLI, usually by request of the coaching staff. If it's the player, he loses that year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Unless I am mistaken, Reilly won't be a free agent until sometime after he graduates.
                  You are correct; the draft contract lasts for 4 years. It would actually be a year after graduation before he can become a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                    Just wanted to respond to the thread here. First off I have been a hockey fan for 42 years and an RPI season ticket holder for 27 years. I am not going anywhere. Second. While it may seem like people like me are dumping on the team and program,I think if we didn't care, we wouldn't post. Yes this team has taken steps forward. But we have also said that before. Burgess "was" 4.25, but no longer. Jerry was real good,now sits on the bench. And so on. The vast majority, vast majority of the season we were a less than 2gpg team. Then along comes Savory. There were glimmers of team greatness, but then that dimmed. And now we are hoping this was a bump in the road. I think what you should take away from this is we are a hungry fan base. The important word there is base. And we have looked for answers in every nook and cranny. The players, the coach, the AD, SAJ, the facilities have all had fingers pointed at them. I agree with and applaud your efforts to get the student body behind this team. There are things that could help: open the Shirley box seats to various groups like school clubs and organizations, out of town alumni, youth groups and so on (SAJ doesn't use it and most games it is dark). And how about this...For away games have one or two non dressed players do the commentary. Be good for them, good for WRPI, good for the fans, good for the school. Union with a more successful team lately and a recent national championship has no radio coverage, I don't believe. So yes we are down. We suffer from a chronic case of disappointment. I think after all the years and all the lean ones, we have the right to voice our concern and offer suggestions.
                    Union has radio coverage, as I checked in a couple times after we were done to look at the points situation. Same guy doing it as all decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      You are correct; the draft contract lasts for 4 years. It would actually be a year after graduation before he can become a free agent.
                      In Reilly’s case it has to do when he was drafted and when he started school. . He was drafted after his freshman year in college which was a year after his class began college. So in his case his drafting team has until June 1st of what would be the graduating year had he gone to school as a true freshman. The same would be said of a player drafted in his first draft year but delayed going to school. College players rights are held for a max of 4 years based on when they are drafted and when they go to school. It’s not 4 years after they are drafted.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                        My friend at WRPI actually asked if I'd be interested in announcing for hockey games, and I ended up saying yes. He said I should hear from someone at WRPI, so they can train me and get me on that, and I never ended up hearing from anyone. Not sure what's up with that, but honestly I'd much rather sit in the student section for home games than announce. However, if they want someone to do away games, I'd be more than willing to do that.
                        Email me. dergue@alum.rpi.edu
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Union has radio coverage, as I checked in a couple times after we were done to look at the points situation. Same guy doing it as all decade.
                          Thanks. It’s interesting. I get the Gazette on line. When I look at the sports on TV and radio listing, they list the ESPN+ games on TV. When it comes to radio, it only lists the WRPI games, nothing for Union.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                            Thanks. It’s interesting. I get the Gazette on line. When I look at the sports on TV and radio listing, they list the ESPN+ games on TV. When it comes to radio, it only lists the WRPI games, nothing for Union.
                            Starting this season I think they went to streaming only instead of commercial radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                              Just checked again. Union broadcasts on Teamline, a web broadcast, but not on a conventional radio station. What can I say? Technologically compromised person.

Comment

. . . I don't understand the thrashing of Hayhurst, Reilly and Burgess . . . . As for Burgess, this is essentially his sophomore season, and he has looked pretty good this season. Last season, I was confused about how he was drafted, but this season has been a great improvement. He has a great release and shot (see a couple of his absolute snipes for goals this season), his hands are way better and look like the most upgraded part of his game, and with his size, he plays physical and wins a good amount of puck battles . . . .
                                Burgess is the victim of high expectations combined with, as you correctly note, a serious knee injury that may still be affecting his confidence. Playing him with Hayhurst and Zieky seemed to pay dividends and I hope that continues. That said, I think RPI lacks physicality across the entire team. RPI lose too many one on one battles. It is part of the reason they are outshot by significant margins in almost every game. Hopefully Burgess continues to build confidence on a healthy knee to throw his weight around some more.

Comment

Working...
                                X