RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
    Don't bet your ranch on that, especially for 17-18. We only beat out SLU by a game and a half last year. We also just had a double digit win total for the first time in three years.

Despite this past weekend and the numbers not really bearing it out yet, the hockey is better now. The recruits that came in this year are better than anything we have seen recently. Next years recruits (nine) look at least as good.

There were more decent to good weekends and less bad to terrible weekends this year than either of the last two years. Yes, on some of the latter type weekend you left with the feeling that this is never going to get turned around. However, you left with that feeling noticeably less this year than either of the last two.

Come to think of it, with nine guys coming in and only four going out, we may not be seeing much of some who were suiting up regularly this year. Not to celebrate anyone being demoted or outright fired but this is competitive sports that people pay good money to see. That fact gives improvement the nod over feeling bad about some guys no longer being in the plans.

As for the coach being bad, I seriously doubt it. As for the coach not being any better than the previous one, that does not even deserve an answer. The only edge I know of that the previously coach garners is that female fans UNANIMOUSLY preferred his Bobby Darin type good looks.
    We were 18-15 his year before last where his star goalie recruit left him high and dry
    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Whoever he is, he has been at the HFH since before I arrived.
      Personal tidbit for the FWIW category. He was my little league baseball coach and I went to HS with his son.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
        I'm a UA grad so I'm all for what McElroy has done there. (Here comes my "hot take" or conspiracy theory) Part of me is thinking he is at the helm to lead RPI into a higher division of NCAA play for all teams. D-II or heck even D-I (FCS football and a league like the NEC, Patriot or America East.) Doubtful that will actually happen but it just seems odd that he left UA and came to RPI just to keep himself in the game. Chances he has a pretty good NYS retirement package from UA so this job could be his walk around money job.
        Zero chance of RPI going Division I in more, let alone all, sports. Huge expense that is unsustainable in the current financial environment without massive increase in endowment. Some would argue that they aren't even investing in the DI programs they already have. I recall someone mentioning that RPI agreed to give Coach Smith a decent six figure sum for basic upgrades to HFH when he got there, but then it was reported that those upgrades have been delayed. Lee McElroy was a quick interim hire when Jim Knowlton left abruptly for Air Force. I think it was more right-place, right-time, than anything to do with upgrading the athletic program, e.g. getting an affordable seasoned administrator without a national search.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Whoever he is, he has been at the HFH since before I arrived.
          For the past few years, he was the usher between sections 14 and 44. Really good guy; he will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
            Wow the f bomb...come on dude your better than that !
            you're*

And it was the other word for #1, if you really care.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
              If the theory is RPI is trying to go D2 or D1 in other sports and they are enjoying pretty good success at D3 and the time and financial commitment is substantial, what would be the motivator? To be more like the hockey program? To entice the alumni to support the school more? What would be better: success at a lower level or mediocrity,at best, at the D1 level?Seems like a pretty hefty gamble to me. One could argue the effort at UA is not really paying off at least the last couple of years.
              It might take more resources at the D-I level, but you can make more with that investment. Not to mention the national exposure that comes with being D-I in those sports.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                So your telling me Hayhurst, Burgess and Wiffen were holding us back be serious !!!
                Hayhurst is RPI's best player by some distance. Even though he is not back to full strength you can see that he has something extra that most of the others don't. Burgess has been a disappointment; he may never have gotten over that knee injury from a psychological perspective, although there was a bit of an uptick for him after being pared with Zieky and Hayhurst. It would have been a big plus for his confidence if he could have buried that late chance at Colgate last week. Wiffen works hard, but the team needed more production out of him, especially as a senior.

I like Will Reilly, but his game is streaky. At least he tries to create some offense when he is out there; that still needs to be encouraged I don't know whether he has early graduation transfer opportunities, or will be told to develop his game in the minors. Hayhurst may also be a transfer possibility. If RPI can get them both back, they could have a much better season next year.

I get that we are comparing Seth and Dave's recruiting because those were two really poor performances this weekend (especially after a solid performance against Dartmouth just a few weeks ago), but I don't think it is a fruitful conversation. The bigger continuing problem for RPI, one they have had for some time, is recruiting players below the first line. Depth has been a issue for a while: too many borderline Division I players, and the results/performances bear that out. Smith has found a few freshmen who can hold their own, and the transfers have all been pluses, to one degree or another. The vibe around the team is better, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  It might take more resources at the D-I level, but you can make more with that investment. Not to mention the national exposure that comes with being D-I in those sports.
                  For most schools, including the University at Albany, Division I athletics is a big money loser, especially if you have Division I football. Only an elite group makes money off of football. Data suggests athletics doesn't significantly impact alumni giving either. It is a luxury most schools (especially private schools with high tuition) cannot afford.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                    For most schools, including the University at Albany, Division I athletics is a big money loser, especially if you have Division I football. Only an elite group makes money off of football. Data suggests athletics doesn't significantly impact alumni giving either. It is a luxury most schools (especially private schools with high tuition) cannot afford.
                    Very true. And you're absolutely correct, I just don't see it happening.

It is great to have a fresh mind on the forum.

Comment

By the way, what is the story with Billy Jerry? Has he just fallen down the depth chart after going 20+ consecutive games without a point, or is there an injury or academic issue? A couple of players could have used a night off this weekend, but Jerry seems to be totally out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Very true. And you're absolutely correct, I just don't see it happening.

It is great to have a fresh mind on the forum.
                        Thanks, I grew up in the area (Mom was an RPI alumna) and went to many games as a kid. John Carter was my favorite player. Moved back to the area in 2010 and have been a season ticket holder since. I've started paying more attention to this board lately because there is so little media coverage of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                          By the way, what is the story with Billy Jerry? Has he just fallen down the depth chart after going 20+ consecutive games without a point, or is there an injury or academic issue? A couple of players could have used a night off this weekend, but Jerry seems to be totally out of the picture.
                          I wonder the same of Digrande. He played at Cornell if I'm not mistaken and I think he's shown flashes of talent in the minimal time he's played .

Comment

• It's way beyond coaching. They are the easiest to point fingers at but I have watched this program disintegrate over the past 2 decades in almost all areas. The on ice product is a big part of it but the lack of support from the administration is amazing to me. The visibility of the program is their responsibility and its non-existent. When's the last time you have seen any type of promotional material in any of the media outlets? Where is an organized student group or really any student presence at all? I dont need to be reminded of how times have changed but getting a group of 50-100 vocal students would sure help with the horrendous atmosphere we have witnessed get worse each year. More marketing to youth groups and on campus, with discounted tickets. Some young, fresh ideas to make fans and potential recruits want to be part of this program.This is my 3rd year without season tickets after having them since I was 10 (1973). There were alot of losing years but at least it was fun. I went to 2 games all year and I still think the potential is there to turn things around. Problem is, outside of the coaches and players, does anyone else involved care!
                            Last edited by johnk; 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hopefully, we won't need it for a while, but any suggestions for a title for an off-season thread?

"Nordic Combined" doesn't make sense until next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X