No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
    I'm a UA grad so I'm all for what McElroy has done there. (Here comes my "hot take" or conspiracy theory) Part of me is thinking he is at the helm to lead RPI into a higher division of NCAA play for all teams. D-II or heck even D-I (FCS football and a league like the NEC, Patriot or America East.) Doubtful that will actually happen but it just seems odd that he left UA and came to RPI just to keep himself in the game. Chances he has a pretty good NYS retirement package from UA so this job could be his walk around money job.
    that's not a crazy take, but they seem to be moving slow if that's the real plan, no?
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      The Pittsburgh Penguins probably disagree with that but what do they know
      It's a five alarm fire when my bro shows up! Luv it TB!
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
        that's not a crazy take, but they seem to be moving slow if that's the real plan, no?
        That's partially a result of the NCAA changes that were made around 2006 or so, which involve hefty moratoriums. I believe it's 5 years to go D-III to D-II, and then 9 years from D-II to D-I (perhaps the other way around). Let's also remember that the money required to facilitate D-I programs is a lot more than D-III, and quite frankly, RPI is flat broke.

Comment

Lots of action and complaining on these boards... must be playoff time.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Happy Sunday My Friend -

Let's go point by point.

2000 team had homegrown Troy Products that gave the home town discount. Fridge had a huge advantage in getting them.
            Pirri, JDA, Haggs all went pro. That not so much defection but going for what they saw as an opportunity. Emil, Tironese, Nanne, etc. just left.
            Dillion was counseled by the Kings to go to OHL to see more pucks. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work out.
            The Monty analogy holds no water IMHO. He's now coach of the Dallas Stars. Is the argument that he should have stayed in Troy?

All my best, AD
            Hmm, I have to run to playoff games for the little ones after this, so I can't banter back & forth too long:
            - I would say Seth not being able to outdo Fridge's Troy connection (assuming that is the sole reason for 2000) isn't a plus in Seth's column.
            - Emil, et.al. aren't going pro because they aren't good enough. Regardless, I would expect them to transfer with a coaching change.
            - Monty should have been someone that McElroy's predecessor locked down to be the HC, at least for a few years.

I have to run, will check in from courtside... Cheers!
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Three consecutive 11th places. Let's not forget why the sacking happened in the first place. I know you want to act like there was some sort of persecution, but from what I can tell, it's the Smith recruits that are stepping up while we're held back by the Appert ones, whether by perception or actual play.

Also, 16 points is abnormally high for 11th. Sure, I don't think it would have ever gotten us home ice, but next year's the year of reckoning.
              I was told by ppl on this thread that SA was a lousy coach who couldn't get the most out of the team. What's Dave's excuse? I think sk8thepond is right; RPI Culture that Lee and Shirley have created will never produce a winner.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I highly doubt any moving up of divisions will happen. Just looking from the outside of the RPI bubble I don't think the money is there at this point to make a move.
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

I was told by ppl on this thread that SA was a lousy coach who couldn't get the most out of the team. What's Dave's excuse? I think sk8thepond is right; RPI Culture that Lee and Shirley have created will never produce a winner.
                  Once you get through the other posts, you'll see my response to that. February brought everything to light about what the true issue is. And given your political leanings, you might enjoy my nickname for it.

Comment

Hmm, I have to run to playoff games for the little ones after this, so I can't banter back & forth too long:
                    - I would say Seth not being able to outdo Fridge's Troy connection (assuming that is the sole reason for 2000) isn't a plus in Seth's column.
                    - Emil, et.al. aren't going pro because they aren't good enough. Regardless, I would expect them to transfer with a coaching change.
                    - Monty should have been someone that McElroy's predecessor locked down to be the HC, at least for a few years.

I have to run, will check in from courtside... Cheers!
                    Good luck to the little ones!

Comment

As always, you are the most astute observer of RPI Hockey on the scene. Lee has no knowledge (which is fine) but did not tap hockey resources to fix this thing; it is a hallmark of his stewardship of this program.
                      Not using the hockey resources was a bad look for sure. Hope all is well with you my friend.
                      Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Sorry didn't realize you were a NHL scout and player evaluator my bad
                        They made that decision after his freshman year. After that, his game went to ****.
                        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                          Sorry didn't realize you were a NHL scout and player evaluator my bad
                          Was he deserving then? Sure. What has he done since then, keeping in mind I pay attention to all of his games, rather than the couple that the scouts see. Unless you can answer that, **** off.

Comment

Lots of action and complaining on these boards... must be playoff time.
                            It's good to see that the thread title is finally accurate.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Was he deserving then? Sure. What has he done since then, keeping in mind I pay attention to all of his games, rather than the couple that the scouts see. Unless you can answer that, **** off.
                              He also was the final player taken in the draft. I suspect it was regarded as a crapshoot.

IMHO, he is a still a much better pro prospect than Perry who was taken before he came to RPI. I realize that he is injured.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re pro prospects: It will be interesting to see if any of Smith's recruits are taken this year in the draft.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X