X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    One thing that does drive me nuts is how many scoring opportunities we seem to blow by trying to set up too many pretty passes.
    This was still an issue last night. It really seemed like a few guys were trying to get on Sportscenter.

Actually, this has been an issue for a while now. I don't want to say that it seems like a hallmark of the Cole era, but it always seems like there's one pass too many when we get the puck in a good spot. It's frustrating stuff.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Very good win against Ferris on the road last night. Awful start with a bunch of bad penalties, turnovers, sloppy defensive play and a comical short-handed goal, but the finish - three goals in, like, eight minutes, including the GWG with 21 seconds left - was extremely strong.

Good night for Cesana. Lewandowski is also getting his legs back.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Pretty good game from the boys last night. The 2nd period felt sloppy but the rest was fine.

Our offensive woes continue despite what looks to me a team more capable offensively from top to bottom. I don’t know how to fix it.

One thing that does drive me nuts is how many scoring opportunities we seem to blow by trying to set up too many pretty passes. We blew two 2 on 1’s in the 2nd period from ill advised passes in addition to a few great opportunities in the first period. In the 3rd we seemed to get a little more urgency and hey, we popped the winner. I was never a “shoot the puck!” guy but we take looking for the “perfect shot” a little too far.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Also, we’re ranked 21 in the PWR which is funny. If we didn’t fall on our face on opening night against AF we might be on the bubble for the NCAA tourney.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Two very different types of pain over the prior weekend. On Friday, it felt like we hung around until the dam broke in the third. On Saturday, MSU came out unmotivated and the dam broke instantly. (On the whole, despite somewhat pulling it together in the last 25-ish minutes, I was quite disappointed with Saturday's game.)

In a weird way, I think this weekend will set the tone for the rest of the season. Ferris isn't great. It will probably say a lot about the direction and motivation of this team if MSU finds itself struggling again.
    We’re in the middle of our annual November swoon so we need to grab wins anywhere we can. Every game after this weekend is typically at best a coin flip so these games are big.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    In a weird way, I think this weekend will set the tone for the rest of the season. Ferris isn't great. It will probably say a lot about the direction and motivation of this team if MSU finds itself struggling again.
    Well said. Ferris is indeed struggling, and these are two games that theoretically MSU should be able to win comfortably. Interestingly, Ferris's leading Frosh scorer (5-2--7 in 10 GP) who's off to a strong start is Brad Marek, a former MSU commit.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Two very different types of pain over the prior weekend. On Friday, it felt like we hung around until the dam broke in the third. On Saturday, MSU came out unmotivated and the dam broke instantly. (On the whole, despite somewhat pulling it together in the last 25-ish minutes, I was quite disappointed with Saturday's game.)

Leave a comment:

• Polydorus
    replied
    Friday, October 29, 2021

Michigan State 2 at Ohio State 1

Video of MSU's second goal at:

https://247sports.com/college/michig...082872/?page=1

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied
    FYI - You can watch both games for free.
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/he...ns-ice-hockey/

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    I noticed that we got another '04 commit yesterday, a good looking defenseman:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/trans...e-univ./467815

At this point, though, I was hoping Cole would focus on getting some promising elite scorers. UMich is cleaning up in that regard, in fact they just flipped a 5-star NTDP kid from Notre Dame to add to their haul.
    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 10-21-2021, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

After seeing Notre Dame in person this weekend, the best that that Spartans can hope for is 4th. Fast, physical, and deep...and now they have possibly the best goalie in college hockey in Matt Galajda.
    That’s fine. We’re not greedy.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by wsummers View Post

I think this team has the potential to be a high middle of the Big 10 team…they should be competitive against all except the top two (one of whom shall not be named). They are generating a lot more scoring opportunities than the last couple of years and have a powerplay that looks like it should click at about 20%. Defense is still pretty good. PK was excellent this weekend, but quite frankly, Miami’s PP was not impressive.
    After seeing Notre Dame in person this weekend, the best that that Spartans can hope for is 4th. Fast, physical, and deep...and now they have possibly the best goalie in college hockey in Matt Galajda.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Miami also dipped deeply into the transfer poral and even attracted the Cornell F that I coveted. But props to Cole and staff for seemingly getting our transfers to gel earlier and more often than Bergeron & Co. I realize it's early but I'm slightly more optimistic about our prospects this season than previously. The sweep is something to build on, let's see where it goes from there.
    I think this team has the potential to be a high middle of the Big 10 team…they should be competitive against all except the top two (one of whom shall not be named). They are generating a lot more scoring opportunities than the last couple of years and have a powerplay that looks like it should click at about 20%. Defense is still pretty good. PK was excellent this weekend, but quite frankly, Miami’s PP was not impressive.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Miami also dipped deeply into the transfer poral and even attracted the Cornell F that I coveted. But props to Cole and staff for seemingly getting our transfers to gel earlier and more often than Bergeron & Co. I realize it's early but I'm slightly more optimistic about our prospects this season than previously. The sweep is something to build on, let's see where it goes from there.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    A few thoughts…

Good come from behind victory tonight. MSU had no powerplay opportunities while they had to skate off 2, including a 5 minute. After the game the Miami coaches didn’t come out to shake hands.

MSU is off to a 3-1 start and first sweep in over a year.

This team is much more talented offensively than the last couple. Nice to see them carry the puck in instead of dump and chase.

Both goals tonight were also from transfers. Without them we would probably be 0-4 or 1-3.

MSU had an unbelievable number of great scoring chances which they either fanned on, missed the net, missed the tip in, or were stonewalled by the goalie. Hopefully, they’ll start converting on those opportunities.

Due to a postponement, Mass Lowell will have not played in the last two weekends after splitting with ASU. That should work in MSU’s favor on Friday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X