Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wsummers
    replied
    Day after Cole is fired the other Cole withdraws from portal and announces he’ll return for a 5th year. Will his brother also return?

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Age be damned, get the money that is needed to bring back an alum. Jeff Jackson. He would be my first call. Michigan State hockey has been irrelevant for quite some time now. A proven coach with a track record of turning ND into a consistent NCAA tournament team. He very well might not have any interest in leaving ND. But it's worth a shot. Make him tell you no. Or else bring back Damon Whitten and pray he has what it takes like you did with Anastos and Cole.
    Last edited by J.D.; 04-13-2022, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

I don't think you're giving Haller and those surrounding him enough credit. From Cole's season-ending presser more than a month ago where we heard up to 10 new recruits and possibly one 5th year returner, they must have been alarmed at how rapidly things devolved into: 1) No returner; 2) 3 existing players including a rare MSU NHL draft pick to the transfer portal; and 3) 5 uninspiring commitments including a) a depth goalie transfer with an extremely small sample size of 9 GP; and b) a local, legacy, walk-on caliber NAHL player. Cole gave them no choice, as he was easily on his way to an even worse season than the recently concluded one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
    Even with all of that, the timing is awful. There has to be some reason that it absolutely had to be done when it did, because no one in their right mind would arbitrarily pick that moment to pull the trigger.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Goddard
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    It's worth noting that Nightingale's U-18s are .500 this year in the USHL. (They sure beat us, though.)

I mean, I'm sure he's a fine coach, I just don't know if it's wise to take a NTDP guy immediately after letting another NTDP guy go.

That said, I wouldn't be against calling up the coach of the Lumberjacks, or the Steel, or any other up-and-comer from the USHL that I don't know about.
    I doubt MSU hires or even considers an unknown (outside of Junior hockey circles)from The Junior ranks to replace Cole especially when so many other candidates with D1 and even NHL (looking at you Jeff Blashill) bench boss experience are or will become available here shortly.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    They were hosting a recruit this morning, and the postseason banquet is tomorrow night. So you have to assume one of three scenarios:

A) There was a major NCAA violation that necessitated an immediate move
    B) Someone is already lined up to take the job
    C) Alan Haller has zero sense of timing

I highly doubt A.
    B would be a big surprise, but eventually we'll find that out.
    The smart money is on C.
    I don't think you're giving Haller and those surrounding him enough credit. From Cole's season-ending presser more than a month ago where we heard up to 10 new recruits and possibly one 5th year returner, they must have been alarmed at how rapidly things devolved into: 1) No returner; 2) 3 existing players including a rare MSU NHL draft pick to the transfer portal; and 3) 5 uninspiring commitments including a) a depth goalie transfer with an extremely small sample size of 9 GP; and b) a local, legacy, walk-on caliber NAHL player. Cole gave them no choice, as he was easily on his way to an even worse season than the recently concluded one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 04-13-2022, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

Ooo I hope not. We just drove down that road for 5 years. I really hope we pull a proven D1 coach from somewhere.
    It's worth noting that Nightingale's U-18s are .500 this year in the USHL. (They sure beat us, though.)

I mean, I'm sure he's a fine coach, I just don't know if it's wise to take a NTDP guy immediately after letting another NTDP guy go.

That said, I wouldn't be against calling up the coach of the Lumberjacks, or the Steel, or any other up-and-comer from the USHL that I don't know about.
    Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 04-12-2022, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Ooo I hope not. We just drove down that road for 5 years. I really hope we pull a proven D1 coach from somewhere.

The obvious name being thrown around is Mike Hastings but I can’t imagine a likely modest increase in salary would be worth possibly imploding your career.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    They were hosting a recruit this morning, and the postseason banquet is tomorrow night. So you have to assume one of three scenarios:

I highly doubt A.
    The smart money is on C.
    Maybe plunk some chips down on B.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied

I highly doubt A.
    The smart money is on C.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Wow! I am shocked our AD pulled the trigger. Let’s hope he’s got far more of a plan than Hollis ever did.
    I'm a bit shocked by the timing, given that our season ended weeks ago. Regardless, this is the correct decision. Haller should be applauded for making it.

This is a sad day. Personally, I like Danton. I also think he still has the ability to be a good coach somewhere. That said, this program is in a really bad spot right now and he's responsible for that. MSU is not competitive. There's a real possibility that we're losing 30 games next season. He had to go.

I'm hoping we consider candidates outside the MSU bubble. I think an outside perspective would be helpful and healthy right now. Anastos and Cole were branches from the Mason coaching tree. Ron was great, but that was heyday was decades ago. Modern-day college hockey is a dramatically different sport and MSU needs to make a hire that accounts for that. It's dangerous for MSU to continue living in the '80s, '90s and early '00s. You can overdose on nostalgia.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    This is bizarre timing. Cole was at the academic gala Monday night with the players, and the banquet is Wednesday night. Somehow he's out on Tuesday afternoon.

And the most amazing thing is that nothing leaked, as is what usually happens at MSU. That would highly suggest this is a unilateral move by Alan Haller.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Wow! I am shocked our AD pulled the trigger. Let’s hope he’s got far more of a plan than Hollis ever did.

Leave a comment:

• Notoscar
    replied
    So overdue...

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    https://twitter.com/chrissolari/stat...xsports.com%2F

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Cole out as coach…