X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Goddard View Post

A potential UM Womens program could very easily play out of the Ann Arbor Ice Cube (Former home of the USNTDP). Not ideal but its relatively close to campus (few miles give/take). MSU women could use Suburban rink(s) it would be little to no different than OSU women using old OSU Ice Rink but like someone else said funding an issue.

As for Dem Hall, I always thought a "throwback" game (MSU men) at Dem Hall would be kind of cool but like previous poster said ice making equipment was taken out long ago.
    Suburban was also what I was thinking but I am not sure what sort of ice time they’re working with over there. I was playing Beer League up until Covid and was doing 11:40pm’s on weekdays. I’d also prefer not to immediately shove the women’s team in the corner with an off campus spot but I’m realizing the logistics of this is more complicated than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Goddard
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

U of M has no place to put a women's team but at the least MSU could put one in Dominion Hall quite easily. I think A women's hockey team would be a wonderful addition to the Spartan athletic program.
    I was told by an insider some time ago funding was the primary reason you don't have one. But since the Big Ten now has more money than God, I don't see how finances would any longer be an impediment.
    A potential UM Womens program could very easily play out of the Ann Arbor Ice Cube (Former home of the USNTDP). Not ideal but its relatively close to campus (few miles give/take). MSU women could use Suburban rink(s) it would be little to no different than OSU women using old OSU Ice Rink but like someone else said funding an issue.

As for Dem Hall, I always thought a "throwback" game (MSU men) at Dem Hall would be kind of cool but like previous poster said ice making equipment was taken out long ago.
    Last edited by Paul Goddard; 10-08-2022, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

Dem Hall is basically a band and ROTC building now. If I recall correctly, the building was heavily renovated for the band not too long ago.

I can't see MSU ever adding women's hockey without putting a second sheet somewhere on campus. (I'm pretty sure I've been asking for a practice facility with an Olympic-sized sheet for, like, 15 years now.)
    I realize my mistake. After reading your post I looked and saw more recent pictures of the interior showing the upgraded interior. I mistakenly thought it could still have ice, perhaps it could but then the conversion would have been for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied

U of M has no place to put a women's team but at the least MSU could put one in Dominion Hall quite easily. I think A women's hockey team would be a wonderful addition to the Spartan athletic program.
    I was told by an insider some time ago funding was the primary reason you don't have one. But since the Big Ten now has more money than God, I don't see how finances would any longer be an impediment.
    Dem Hall is basically a band and ROTC building now. If I recall correctly, the building was heavily renovated for the band not too long ago.

I can't see MSU ever adding women's hockey without putting a second sheet somewhere on campus. (I'm pretty sure I've been asking for a practice facility with an Olympic-sized sheet for, like, 15 years now.)

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I don’t think so but it’s ridiculous we don’t have a women’s team. I don’t think UofM has one either. Very strange.

It’s actually mildly interesting you ask because back in my peewee travel days I played with a girl who held her own among all us boys and I think ended up playing at OSU about 10-15 years ago.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-07-2022, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Well, another good 3rd period and decent game overall that comes up short. It seems goal scoring will predictably be an issue. A couple freshman mistakes cost us. Basgall having his pocket picked and Shoudy with a…I won’t say lazy back check…I think he was probably puck watching in the corner instead of picking up his man. He almost certainly got an earful about that one.

St. Cyr looked much more comfortable which was encouraging.

There were also some interesting roster moves. I’m sure Christian Krygier and Gucciardi are sick or injured but Cal Dybicz was in for maybe the first time tonight and Justin Jalen might be more of a regular than we would have guessed. Hurtig was also scratched.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied

Looking forward to seeing it firsthand when Ohio State comes up. One question, was there any consideration on the renovation project to made it so Munn could accommodate a women hockey team?
    I don’t think so but it’s ridiculous we don’t have a women’s team. I don’t think UofM has one either. Very strange.

It’s actually mildly interesting you ask because back in my peewee travel days I played with a girl who held her own among all us boys and I think ended up playing at OSU about 10-15 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Dedication of the renovation is tomorrow at 5:45pm.

https://www.wil*****/2022/09/22/my-v...k-new-chapter/
    Looking forward to seeing it firsthand when Ohio State comes up. One question, was there any consideration on the renovation project to made it so Munn could accommodate a women hockey team?

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    I haven't seen anyone comment about Hurtig's play in the NTDP exhibition, but it appears we're going to miss the service of the big Swede for one/more games:

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...Cw3ZLw5eYrAAAA
    In the exhibition he gave up a breakaway goal…so played like a Freshman with potential. Basgal was the better of the two new Dmen. If Gucciardi is also unable to play (illness kept him out of the exhibition) Connor will get a regular shift.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    I haven't seen anyone comment about Hurtig's play in the NTDP exhibition, but it appears we're going to miss the service of the big Swede for one/more games:

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...Cw3ZLw5eYrAAAA

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Well, we dropped one to the teens on opening night.

Hmmm but I actually kinda liked what I saw tonight? Interesting.
    Notre Dame also dropped one to the teens….a very talented group, especially the first line. Hope we snag one of them

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    It's always a little embarrassing to drop one to the NTDP, but I'm definitely not panicking. Super-clunky play in the first two periods, but I was expecting that with the number of transfers and freshmen we have.

Third period was great, though.

Hopefully, we learned some stuff. It starts for real next week.
    I thought the first 10 minutes of the game or so was pretty sloppy but it felt like we really tilted the ice after that. That 5 minute stretch in the 2nd featured our D men losing focus and letting guys get behind them. That and a perfectly placed shot that I think tucked between St. Cyr’s shoulder and the crossbar was the difference. I was certain we were going to complete the comeback in the 3rd with how we took the game over.

There were a lot of little things I liked. I thought we caused a ton of turnovers including our backcheckers frequently catching them from behind in the neutral zone. That one I like because it’s all effort and suggests we weren’t at nearly the speed disadvantage we are used to seeing. The penalty kill was solid as well.

Jury’s out on the PP. I’d say it probably didn’t look like a strength, as I expect goal scoring also will not be. We also missed the net a ton. We’d probably have put up 50 shots if we’d hit the dang net more.

Also not sold on our goaltending battle. St. Cyr got more time which suggests he’s leading but let in all 4 goals and seemed to fumble the puck a lot when trying to handle it. His shorter stature also resulted in that 3rd goal of theirs squeaking in above his shoulder.

And it was great having that massive student section. I hope one day that becomes the norm. Surely out of 40-50 thousand students we can make a good 1500 into hockey fans one day?

Also, the bench changes really threw me off.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2022, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied

It's always a little embarrassing to drop one to the NTDP, but I'm definitely not panicking. Super-clunky play in the first two periods, but I was expecting that with the number of transfers and freshmen we have.

Third period was great, though.

Hopefully, we learned some stuff. It starts for real next week.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    First look at the new team this Saturday.. any predictions / things to watch?
    Some things I’m watching is:
    1. Is the Tucker line still together
    2. Where are the new portal transfers in the lineup? I assume the new captain, Mucha, will be 1st or 2nd line.
    3. How does a player I like, Tanner Kelly, look? Will he make a leap forward this year?
    4. Which returning players are likely to see less ice time?
    5. Does it look like Russell, Best, and/or Shoudy will fit into Nights systems? (Can Best make the jump from NAHL and be effective at this level?)
    6. How has style of play changed?
    7. Of the 9 Dmen, which will be the top 6, or will they dress 7 most games.

As far as predictions, I’m waiting a few weeks, but hope for much improved scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines. If that happens MSU could be competitive with the bottom half teams and hopefully finish in 5th or 6th place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X