No announcement yet.

Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU picks up a commitment from D Maxim Strbak (Sioux Falls, USHL). A top 50 ranked prospect for the 2023 NHL draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
      MSU picks up a commitment from D Maxim Strbak (Sioux Falls, USHL). A top 50 ranked prospect for the 2023 NHL draft.
      This staff continues to outperform in the recruiting department! Looks like Maxim's father had a lengthy pro career including international appearances and a brief time in the NHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

Going by stats alone, it's pretty clear that the only two transfers who are making an impact on the scoresheet are Mucha (who was apparently a known quantity to Nightingale) and St. Cyr. I was definitely expecting more from dman Underwood. One of the F transfers hasn't even played yet, shades of Berger from last season. So bottom line I'd have to say it's mostly coaching up the newbies and select (emphasis on the word select) hold-overs. Speaking of hold-overs, what's the story with Ch. Krygier, who hasn't played recently? I don't listen to Nightingale's show so if he's injured, that tidbit has escaped me.
        I’ve actually been pretty fond of Jallen. Despite not much scoring, his wheels can be disruptive in the offensive and neutral zones.

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
          MSU picks up a commitment from D Maxim Strbak (Sioux Falls, USHL). A top 50 ranked prospect for the 2023 NHL draft.
          Good pickup….another recent recruit (who like Maxim had decommitted) had a visit and could result in another commitment to MSU soon. Things are certainly heading in the right direction.

Comment

Going by stats alone, it's pretty clear that the only two transfers who are making an impact on the scoresheet are Mucha (who was apparently a known quantity to Nightingale) and St. Cyr. I was definitely expecting more from dman Underwood. One of the F transfers hasn't even played yet, shades of Berger from last season. So bottom line I'd have to say it's mostly coaching up the newbies and select (emphasis on the word select) hold-overs. Speaking of hold-overs, what's the story with Ch. Krygier, who hasn't played recently? I don't listen to Nightingale's show so if he's injured, that tidbit has escaped me.
            Success has come from new conditioning coach, team buy in to new systems, and a few key additions. Mucha and St. Cyr as mentioned. Underwood has been solid on defense. Dorwart a late pick up was a true diamond in the rough who has blossomed on the Russell and Joshua line. As for Christian…he has been injured and may be back this weekend.

As far as the F transfer not playing, Nolan was always going to be a practice player…the possible surprise is Best not seeing any ice time this year. He was a hyped Cole recruit who hadn’t played in the higher level leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Success has come from new conditioning coach, team buy in to new systems, and a few key additions. Mucha and St. Cyr as mentioned. Underwood has been solid on defense. Dorwart a late pick up was a true diamond in the rough who has blossomed on the Russell and Joshua line. As for Christian…he has been injured and may be back this weekend.

As far as the F transfer not playing, Nolan was always going to be a practice player…the possible surprise is Best not seeing any ice time this year. He was a hyped Cole recruit who hadn’t played in the higher level leagues.
              All good points, wsummers. I guess I should have emphasized that I was expecting more OFFENSE from Underwood. Solid but unspectacular dmen are a dime a dozen. And I agree that Dorwart, although not a transfer which is what I was addressing, has turned out to be a pleasant surprise late addition by Nightingale and Co. I honestly never expected to see Nolan or Best on the ice in the first place, so I'm indifferent there. It's not often that NAHL recruits make a huge impact in our conference (sorry, Pirateasaur, not seeing it with J. Jallen). Finally, thanks for the confirmation re. Ch. Krygier's injury.
              Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 12-02-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

All good points, wsummers. I guess I should have emphasized that I was expecting more OFFENSE from Underwood. Solid but unspectacular dmen are a dime a dozen. And I agree that Dorwart, although not a transfer which is what I was addressing, has turned out to be a pleasant surprise late addition by Nightingale and Co. I honestly never expected to see Nolan or Best on the ice in the first place, so I'm indifferent there. It's not often that NAHL recruits make a huge impact in our conference (sorry, Pirateasaur, not seeing it with J. Jallen). Finally, thanks for the confirmation re. Ch. Krygier's injury.
                I can’t recall anybody out of the NAHL who really made some noise for us. Esteves was a regular in the lineup and could skate well enough but didn’t score much.

Anyways, flopped tonight for our first game in the spotlight, full Munn and all. First period wasn’t good, but I thought it was a fairly even game in the 2nd and 3rd until they scored their 3rd goal and it came crashing down. Minny’s good though, very good. We’ve done a great job opening our game up and trying to run a bit this season but the talent gap was pretty evident tonight against a team that is clearly better built to play this way. With a little puck luck, we can take tomorrow night if we bring it like the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Comment

• On an unrelated note, I was taking a spin through some box scores around the country and I see that Aiden Gallacher scored the OT game winner for Northern against tech tonight. Good for him, I suppose.

edit: Nope, assist for Gallacher.
                  Last edited by Pirateasaur; 12-02-2022, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    On an unrelated note, I was taking a spin through some box scores around the country and I see that Aiden Gallacher scored the OT game winner for Northern against tech tonight. Good for him, I suppose.

edit: Nope, assist for Gallacher.
                    and then the next night, he got the early shower for a 5 minute facemasking penalty at the end of the 1st period.

Comment

• No Michigan State coach has ever won his first game in the rivalry.

John Kobs L 3-6 24 Jan 1925
                      Harold Paulsen L 4-10 22 Feb 1950
                      Amo Bessone L 1-11 5 Dec 1951
                      Ron Mason L 2-7 5 Dec 1979
                      Rick Comley L 1-3 14 Feb 2003
                      Tom Anastos L 3-4 9 Dec 2011
                      Danton Cole L 0-4 7 Dec 2017

Adam Nightingale could be the first.

Comment

• And now Naurato joins Red as the only skunk coaches to lose their first.

Comment

• Had to miss the game last night but followed along with the game tracker pretty much all game. Feels great to get that win for many reasons but it’s gotta feel great for the boys to take the W in front of the big crowd after last week’s flops on the big stage.

Comment

• We’re number 11!

Perhaps was a good time to hit the holiday break. I think we had an illness scratch on Saturday. I was wondering when that flu bug was going to hit us.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Oof. Talk about a clunker of a weekend. We’re gonna be regretting this come March, I bet.

The pressure is on to rattle off a few W’s to start the new year. None of us want to see any shades of last year’s implosion.

I didn’t attend any games but I almost did. I’d like if the GLI could continue with this format in GR. We may not have looked it this week d, but I think if the program can continue to improve here then the games will be well attended. Decent Tech and WMU teams will do their part, as well.

Comment

• Looks like it will continue.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X