No announcement yet.

Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grappling with having to recalibrate my expectations into something that involves more emotional investment. For a decade+ it never really felt like we were playing for any real stakes so losses bounced right off me.

i don’t think we’ll end up competing for a B1G regular season title but could an NCAA birth be in the cards? It still feels like the bottom will drop out at some point and we’ll drop like 5 straight but I’m getting pretty optimistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      i don’t think we’ll end up competing for a B1G regular season title but could an NCAA birth be in the cards? It still feels like the bottom will drop out at some point and we’ll drop like 5 straight but I’m getting pretty optimistic.
      My old rule of thumb: Major conference programs that win 20 or more generally go to the NCAA tournament.

Though I'm currently having a ton of fun, I'm leery about saying we're winning 20. Cool if we did, but I think we're probably finishing around the 15-17 win mark. (And I'd be totally fine with that. That's still a huge improvement.)
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• I can’t get excited until I see how we match up against U-M; Minny; and PSU. All too often our schedule is back-loaded such that we fall off a cliff after the first third to half. If we match up well or, even better, prevail against those three teams, then we’re much further ahead in the rebuild than I ever expected with this roster. At this point I’m still expecting a 0.500 season at best which, as mentioned, is quite the coaching accomplishment.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
          I can’t get excited until I see how we match up against U-M; Minny; and PSU. All too often our schedule is back-loaded such that we fall off a cliff after the first third to half. If we match up well or, even better, prevail against those three teams, then we’re much further ahead in the rebuild than I ever expected with this roster. At this point I’m still expecting a 0.500 season at best which, as mentioned, is quite the coaching accomplishment.
          The next 8 games should tell us a lot. 4 wins (sweep of Miami plus taking 2 more from the top 3 conference teams) might be the best to hope for…but so far this team has exceeded my expectations.

Comment

• It’s great to see Dylan St. Cyr doing well for your program. We had a 1 and 1A goaltender at Q’Pac and he was back-up to a tender that had the most shutouts in NCAA history. Be following him rest of the way….good luck

Comment

• Trey Augustine signed NLI today.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICECAT1811 View Post
                It’s great to see Dylan St. Cyr doing well for your program. We had a 1 and 1A goaltender at Q’Pac and he was back-up to a tender that had the most shutouts in NCAA history. Be following him rest of the way….good luck
                He’s been fantastic. I was initially wrote off his decision to come here because I felt Charleson was a lock for the starting job but St. Cyr has really delivered. It feels good when a kid makes a bold choice to transfer and really works out for them.

Comment

• I’ve held off on proclaiming this after years of consistently poor/mediocre results but after nearly sweeping PSU on the road, we officially have a good team again. We could leave Oxford with a loss or get bounced by Minnesota or Michigan and it still wouldn’t change my mind that the program is on a steep, upward trajectory.

Comment

• I think we’re all pretty horrified about Jagger’s allegation. It’s terrible that racism remains a stain on our society and it absolutely shouldn’t have any place in any sport.

I’m curious about the lack of response from the Big Ten. Did this fall through the cracks, did the league just not care, or did the league feel a game misconduct was enough punishment for someone spewing racial slurs loud enough for an official to hear?

If I recall correctly, in the old CCHA days, all game misconducts and DQs were reported directly to the league office and were dealt with somewhat promptly. Does the Big Ten not have this mechanism in place for hockey?
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                      I think we’re all pretty horrified about Jagger’s allegation. It’s terrible that racism remains a stain on our society and it absolutely shouldn’t have any place in any sport.

I’m curious about the lack of response from the Big Ten. Did this fall through the cracks, did the league just not care, or did the league feel a game misconduct was enough punishment for someone spewing racial slurs loud enough for an official to hear?

If I recall correctly, in the old CCHA days, all game misconducts and DQs were reported directly to the league office and were dealt with somewhat promptly. Does the Big Ten not have this mechanism in place for hockey?
                      Even if the B10 felt the game misconduct was enough punishment, The Ohio State University should have at the least made a statement condemning the actions of the player.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Even if the B10 felt the game misconduct was enough punishment, The Ohio State University should have at the least made a statement condemning the actions of the player.
                        Dirty hits get suspensions. IMO, this is worse as it damages hockey as a whole. Hockey has tried to grow the sport and this is one more reason for 40% of Americas to avoid the sport. How does this make OSU/B1G look to people outside of hockey?

Comment

• For good reason, we're running every promotion this weekend.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

• I really hope we get great crowds this weekend. It always helps when football ends and it ended early this year. The team has earned the full support and attention of the fan base.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I really hope we get great crowds this weekend. It always helps when football ends and it ended early this year. The team has earned the full support and attention of the fan base.
                              I'm hoping to kick my cold to the curb before Friday night as that is the only night I can make it in person. The team has already blown away any reasonable person's expectations. I mean 11 wins would have been a reasonable win total for the year and they have accomplished it before December!!

What do we think has lead to the turnaround more, transfers/talent upgrades or coaching? Or a mixture of both?

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post

I'm hoping to kick my cold to the curb before Friday night as that is the only night I can make it in person. The team has already blown away any reasonable person's expectations. I mean 11 wins would have been a reasonable win total for the year and they have accomplished it before December!!

What do we think has lead to the turnaround more, transfers/talent upgrades or coaching? Or a mixture of both?
                                Going by stats alone, it's pretty clear that the only two transfers who are making an impact on the scoresheet are Mucha (who was apparently a known quantity to Nightingale) and St. Cyr. I was definitely expecting more from dman Underwood. One of the F transfers hasn't even played yet, shades of Berger from last season. So bottom line I'd have to say it's mostly coaching up the newbies and select (emphasis on the word select) hold-overs. Speaking of hold-overs, what's the story with Ch. Krygier, who hasn't played recently? I don't listen to Nightingale's show so if he's injured, that tidbit has escaped me.

Comment

Working...
                                X