Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I don’t think so but it’s ridiculous we don’t have a women’s team. I don’t think UofM has one either. Very strange.

It’s actually mildly interesting you ask because back in my peewee travel days I played with a girl who held her own among all us boys and I think ended up playing at OSU about 10-15 years ago.
    U of M has no place to put a women's team but at the least MSU could put one in Dominion Hall quite easily. I think A women's hockey team would be a wonderful addition to the Spartan athletic program.
    I was told by an insider some time ago funding was the primary reason you don't have one. But since the Big Ten now has more money than God, I don't see how finances would any longer be an impediment.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-07-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

U of M has no place to put a women's team but at the least MSU could put one in Dominion Hall quite easily. I think A women's hockey team would be a wonderful addition to the Spartan athletic program.
      I was told by an insider some time ago funding was the primary reason you don't have one. But since the Big Ten now has more money than God, I don't see how finances would any longer be an impediment.
      Dem Hall is basically a band and ROTC building now. If I recall correctly, the building was heavily renovated for the band not too long ago.

I can't see MSU ever adding women's hockey without putting a second sheet somewhere on campus. (I'm pretty sure I've been asking for a practice facility with an Olympic-sized sheet for, like, 15 years now.)
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

Dem Hall is basically a band and ROTC building now. If I recall correctly, the building was heavily renovated for the band not too long ago.

I can't see MSU ever adding women's hockey without putting a second sheet somewhere on campus. (I'm pretty sure I've been asking for a practice facility with an Olympic-sized sheet for, like, 15 years now.)
        I realize my mistake. After reading your post I looked and saw more recent pictures of the interior showing the upgraded interior. I mistakenly thought it could still have ice, perhaps it could but then the conversion would have been for nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

A potential UM Womens program could very easily play out of the Ann Arbor Ice Cube (Former home of the USNTDP). Not ideal but its relatively close to campus (few miles give/take). MSU women could use Suburban rink(s) it would be little to no different than OSU women using old OSU Ice Rink but like someone else said funding an issue.

As for Dem Hall, I always thought a "throwback" game (MSU men) at Dem Hall would be kind of cool but like previous poster said ice making equipment was taken out long ago.
          Last edited by Paul Goddard; 10-08-2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Goddard View Post

A potential UM Womens program could very easily play out of the Ann Arbor Ice Cube (Former home of the USNTDP). Not ideal but its relatively close to campus (few miles give/take). MSU women could use Suburban rink(s) it would be little to no different than OSU women using old OSU Ice Rink but like someone else said funding an issue.

As for Dem Hall, I always thought a "throwback" game (MSU men) at Dem Hall would be kind of cool but like previous poster said ice making equipment was taken out long ago.
            Suburban was also what I was thinking but I am not sure what sort of ice time they’re working with over there. I was playing Beer League up until Covid and was doing 11:40pm’s on weekdays. I’d also prefer not to immediately shove the women’s team in the corner with an off campus spot but I’m realizing the logistics of this is more complicated than I thought.

Comment

Suburban was also what I was thinking but I am not sure what sort of ice time they’re working with over there. I was playing Beer League up until Covid and was doing 11:40pm’s on weekdays. I’d also prefer not to immediately shove the women’s team in the corner with an off campus spot but I’m realizing the logistics of this is more complicated than I thought.
              "No one puts baby in a corner"! lol

In all seriousness I agree with you! Ideally if MSU were to decide to launch a Women's program they would play/dress/train inside Munn. Not sure if any additional locker spaces are available post-reno on what used to be the MSU (North side) operations side of the house?...Wouldn't be a good look to do what men used to in Dem Hall days. Dress in one building (Jenison, or in this case Dem Hall itself) and walk across street/lot to play in another.

Comment

• It doesn't matter even if there is room at Munn, women's hockey is not happening at MSU. The athletic department is already too big and they recently cut the swim/dive program. There's not going to be support for a sport that isn't sponsored by the Big Ten, that's what killed the very successful men's lacrosse program in the 90's. The department direction was decided then when they added women's crew as the way to make up Title IX numbers. The only chance women's hockey had was if they decided to shutter the women's gymnastics program after the scandal, but they are back with a resurgence.

Comment

• Predictions for the Thursday-Friday series with Umass-Lowell? I'm hopeful for at least a split. This years team seems to be faster and more willing to shoot than any team Danton Cole had. I might make the drive to watch Thursday's game in person.

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                    Predictions for the Thursday-Friday series with Umass-Lowell? I'm hopeful for at least a split. This years team seems to be faster and more willing to shoot than any team Danton Cole had. I might make the drive to watch Thursday's game in person.
                    Yes, this MSU team plays faster and takes a lot of shots (think Penn State). I’m hoping we can find some offense against a good defensive team. Having our top 6 dmen playing for the first time this year helps….now if we can get more than a goal or two we should be able to take a game. I have to work Thursday night, but plan to be there on Friday.
                    Last edited by wsummers; 10-13-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Yes, this MSU team plays faster and takes a lot of shots (think Penn State). I’m hoping we can find some offense against a good defensive team. Having our top 6 dmen playing for the first time this year helps….now if we can get more than a goal or two we should be able to take a game. I have to work Thursday night, but plan to be there on Friday.
                      I’ve personally watched all 3 games we’ve played and have been quite pleased with the team’s performance each night, especially down in BG. What is missing is translating more shots and puck control into actual goals.

I assume UMASS Lowell will be a step up from BG or the U18 team so I hope the team’s improvements continue to reveal themselves.

Also, as I mentioned, I made the trip down to Bowling Green and had such a good time. I loved that old barn of theirs and the classic feel of the atmosphere.

Comment

• Another strong performance and a good win against what is probably a solid Lowell squad.

Nightingale has almost immediately made an impact in the team’s play. We seem to play more aggressive and instinctual with the puck and we’re very pesky in the neutral zone on the backcheck. We look quite a bit faster, although speed is very hard to teach so I’m pleasantly surprised.

I think tonight will be a tough game. We really started running them around in that first period but Lowell stabilized the last 40 minutes and things were much more even.

The refs need to calm down. Way too many penalties which really messes up the flow of the game. Let the boys play, I proclaim.

Also, dismal attendance last night, yeesh. I guess everyone’s got better things going on on Thursday nights.

Comment

Another strong performance and a good win against what is probably a solid Lowell squad.

Nightingale has almost immediately made an impact in the team’s play. We seem to play more aggressive and instinctual with the puck and we’re very pesky in the neutral zone on the backcheck. We look quite a bit faster, although speed is very hard to teach so I’m pleasantly surprised.

I think tonight will be a tough game. We really started running them around in that first period but Lowell stabilized the last 40 minutes and things were much more even.

The refs need to calm down. Way too many penalties which really messes up the flow of the game. Let the boys play, I proclaim.

Also, dismal attendance last night, yeesh. I guess everyone’s got better things going on on Thursday nights.
                          I decided to watch the BIG+ stream last night from the comfort of my office chair. I chalk up lack of attendance to an oppenent who not many outside the hockey world recognize and the thursday evening. I'm hopeful tonight is better attended, especially with the honoring of the 2007 team, although you also are competing with high school football.

The team does look faster and that 3 goals in 3 1/2 minutes stretch was something I haven't seen in quite some time from an MSU team. Let's see if the team can keep up the pressure tonight.. will be a telling game I think. If they can sweep this series my hopes are high that MSU can compete in the middle of the BIG this year.

Comment

We never draw on Thursdays.

Even the good Comley teams never brought in good crowds on Thursdays. I recall a one-loss MSU team playing against a one-loss Miami team in front of, like, 4,500 people on a Thursday night in 2007. Pretty sure both teams were ranked in the top five at the time, too.

Really, the AD should do everything it can to not schedule games on Thursdays. (This would have been a fantastic weekend for another home-and-home.)

Speaking of Comley, I'm really happy fences are attempting to be mended. The end wasn't great, and it probably was time for him to leave when he entered "retirement," but his stint here should be respected more.

Was he Ron Mason? No. Did he win? For the most part. Did he deserve to be punished by some alumni and some members of this fanbase for not being Ron Mason? Absolutely not.

66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

• So, does anybody know what the situation is with the Spartan Brass?

I wasn't at the rink Thursday, but they were absent for the home opener and tonight's game.
                              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                                We never draw on Thursdays.

Even the good Comley teams never brought in good crowds on Thursdays. I recall a one-loss MSU team playing against a one-loss Miami team in front of, like, 4,500 people on a Thursday night in 2007. Pretty sure both teams were ranked in the top five at the time, too.

Really, the AD should do everything it can to not schedule games on Thursdays. (This would have been a fantastic weekend for another home-and-home.)

Speaking of Comley, I'm really happy fences are attempting to be mended. The end wasn't great, and it probably was time for him to leave when he entered "retirement," but his stint here should be respected more.

Was he Ron Mason? No. Did he win? For the most part. Did he deserve to be punished by some alumni and some members of this fanbase for not being Ron Mason? Absolutely not.
                                If I had his resume and got canned for a hire like Anastos, I’d probably be pretty insulted.

I agree it was time to move on but we’d probably have been better keeping Comley considering how it all ended up working out.

Last night ended up being crazy exciting. Our 3rd period was excellent. I really felt like for a lot of the period we might pull the comeback off and I can’t recall the last time I’ve had that feeling for MSU hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X