Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    Commitment updates:

Add 2005 A.J. Lacroix from BC. 40 points in 53 games for BCHL's Chilliwack Chiefs last season.

Add 2006 Riley Patterson from Ontario. Played for the Mississauga Sens last season.
    Best recruiting in a long time….and I’m hearing more to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Best recruiting in a long time….and I’m hearing more to come.
      Definitely a bump in recruiting since the new staff was put in place. Can't wait to see it translate to the ice in the next 2-3 years.

Comment

• Dedication of the renovation is tomorrow at 5:45pm.

https://www.wil*****/2022/09/22/my-v...k-new-chapter/

Comment

• First look at the new team this Saturday.. any predictions / things to watch?

Comment

First look at the new team this Saturday.. any predictions / things to watch?
            I am very excited, even though I am fully convinced results will be unremarkable. With an exciting new staff and the renovations complete, it truly feels like the beginning of a new era. I think the program has a lot of potential now.

With that being said, the current roster is probably not gonna be lighting it up. I think we squeak one out 3-2.

Comment

First look at the new team this Saturday.. any predictions / things to watch?
              Some things I’m watching is:
              1. Is the Tucker line still together
              2. Where are the new portal transfers in the lineup? I assume the new captain, Mucha, will be 1st or 2nd line.
              3. How does a player I like, Tanner Kelly, look? Will he make a leap forward this year?
              4. Which returning players are likely to see less ice time?
              5. Does it look like Russell, Best, and/or Shoudy will fit into Nights systems? (Can Best make the jump from NAHL and be effective at this level?)
              6. How has style of play changed?
              7. Of the 9 Dmen, which will be the top 6, or will they dress 7 most games.

As far as predictions, I’m waiting a few weeks, but hope for much improved scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines. If that happens MSU could be competitive with the bottom half teams and hopefully finish in 5th or 6th place.

Comment

• Well, we dropped one to the teens on opening night.

Hmmm but I actually kinda liked what I saw tonight? Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                  Well, we dropped one to the teens on opening night.

It's always a little embarrassing to drop one to the NTDP, but I'm definitely not panicking. Super-clunky play in the first two periods, but I was expecting that with the number of transfers and freshmen we have.

Third period was great, though.

Hopefully, we learned some stuff. It starts for real next week.
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    It's always a little embarrassing to drop one to the NTDP, but I'm definitely not panicking. Super-clunky play in the first two periods, but I was expecting that with the number of transfers and freshmen we have.

Third period was great, though.

Hopefully, we learned some stuff. It starts for real next week.
                    I thought the first 10 minutes of the game or so was pretty sloppy but it felt like we really tilted the ice after that. That 5 minute stretch in the 2nd featured our D men losing focus and letting guys get behind them. That and a perfectly placed shot that I think tucked between St. Cyr’s shoulder and the crossbar was the difference. I was certain we were going to complete the comeback in the 3rd with how we took the game over.

There were a lot of little things I liked. I thought we caused a ton of turnovers including our backcheckers frequently catching them from behind in the neutral zone. That one I like because it’s all effort and suggests we weren’t at nearly the speed disadvantage we are used to seeing. The penalty kill was solid as well.

Jury’s out on the PP. I’d say it probably didn’t look like a strength, as I expect goal scoring also will not be. We also missed the net a ton. We’d probably have put up 50 shots if we’d hit the dang net more.

Also not sold on our goaltending battle. St. Cyr got more time which suggests he’s leading but let in all 4 goals and seemed to fumble the puck a lot when trying to handle it. His shorter stature also resulted in that 3rd goal of theirs squeaking in above his shoulder.

And it was great having that massive student section. I hope one day that becomes the norm. Surely out of 40-50 thousand students we can make a good 1500 into hockey fans one day?

Also, the bench changes really threw me off.
                    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      Well, we dropped one to the teens on opening night.

Notre Dame also dropped one to the teens….a very talented group, especially the first line. Hope we snag one of them

Comment

• I haven't seen anyone comment about Hurtig's play in the NTDP exhibition, but it appears we're going to miss the service of the big Swede for one/more games:

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...Cw3ZLw5eYrAAAA

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          I haven't seen anyone comment about Hurtig's play in the NTDP exhibition, but it appears we're going to miss the service of the big Swede for one/more games:

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...Cw3ZLw5eYrAAAA
                          In the exhibition he gave up a breakaway goal…so played like a Freshman with potential. Basgal was the better of the two new Dmen. If Gucciardi is also unable to play (illness kept him out of the exhibition) Connor will get a regular shift.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Dedication of the renovation is tomorrow at 5:45pm.

https://www.wil*****/2022/09/22/my-v...k-new-chapter/
                            Looking forward to seeing it firsthand when Ohio State comes up. One question, was there any consideration on the renovation project to made it so Munn could accommodate a women hockey team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Looking forward to seeing it firsthand when Ohio State comes up. One question, was there any consideration on the renovation project to made it so Munn could accommodate a women hockey team?
                              I don’t think so but it’s ridiculous we don’t have a women’s team. I don’t think UofM has one either. Very strange.

It’s actually mildly interesting you ask because back in my peewee travel days I played with a girl who held her own among all us boys and I think ended up playing at OSU about 10-15 years ago.

Comment

• Well, another good 3rd period and decent game overall that comes up short. It seems goal scoring will predictably be an issue. A couple freshman mistakes cost us. Basgall having his pocket picked and Shoudy with a…I won’t say lazy back check…I think he was probably puck watching in the corner instead of picking up his man. He almost certainly got an earful about that one.

St. Cyr looked much more comfortable which was encouraging.

There were also some interesting roster moves. I’m sure Christian Krygier and Gucciardi are sick or injured but Cal Dybicz was in for maybe the first time tonight and Justin Jalen might be more of a regular than we would have guessed. Hurtig was also scratched.

Comment

Working...
                                X