Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    They were hosting a recruit this morning, and the postseason banquet is tomorrow night. So you have to assume one of three scenarios:

A) There was a major NCAA violation that necessitated an immediate move
    B) Someone is already lined up to take the job
    C) Alan Haller has zero sense of timing

I highly doubt A.
    B would be a big surprise, but eventually we'll find that out.
    The smart money is on C.
    I don't think you're giving Haller and those surrounding him enough credit. From Cole's season-ending presser more than a month ago where we heard up to 10 new recruits and possibly one 5th year returner, they must have been alarmed at how rapidly things devolved into: 1) No returner; 2) 3 existing players including a rare MSU NHL draft pick to the transfer portal; and 3) 5 uninspiring commitments including a) a depth goalie transfer with an extremely small sample size of 9 GP; and b) a local, legacy, walk-on caliber NAHL player. Cole gave them no choice, as he was easily on his way to an even worse season than the recently concluded one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 04-13-2022, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
      It's worth noting that Nightingale's U-18s are .500 this year in the USHL. (They sure beat us, though.)

I mean, I'm sure he's a fine coach, I just don't know if it's wise to take a NTDP guy immediately after letting another NTDP guy go.

That said, I wouldn't be against calling up the coach of the Lumberjacks, or the Steel, or any other up-and-comer from the USHL that I don't know about.
      I doubt MSU hires or even considers an unknown (outside of Junior hockey circles)from The Junior ranks to replace Cole especially when so many other candidates with D1 and even NHL (looking at you Jeff Blashill) bench boss experience are or will become available here shortly.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

I don't think you're giving Haller and those surrounding him enough credit. From Cole's season-ending presser more than a month ago where we heard up to 10 new recruits and possibly one 5th year returner, they must have been alarmed at how rapidly things devolved into: 1) No returner; 2) 3 existing players including a rare MSU NHL draft pick to the transfer portal; and 3) 5 uninspiring commitments including a) a depth goalie transfer with an extremely small sample size of 9 GP; and b) a local, legacy, walk-on caliber NAHL player. Cole gave them no choice, as he was easily on his way to an even worse season than the recently concluded one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
        Even with all of that, the timing is awful. There has to be some reason that it absolutely had to be done when it did, because no one in their right mind would arbitrarily pick that moment to pull the trigger.

Comment

• Age be damned, get the money that is needed to bring back an alum. Jeff Jackson. He would be my first call. Michigan State hockey has been irrelevant for quite some time now. A proven coach with a track record of turning ND into a consistent NCAA tournament team. He very well might not have any interest in leaving ND. But it's worth a shot. Make him tell you no. Or else bring back Damon Whitten and pray he has what it takes like you did with Anastos and Cole.
          Last edited by J.D.; 04-13-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Day after Cole is fired the other Cole withdraws from portal and announces he’ll return for a 5th year. Will his brother also return?

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
              Day after Cole is fired the other Cole withdraws from portal and announces he’ll return for a 5th year. Will his brother also return?
              This doesn't surprise me in the least since the twins clearly weren't getting any pro traction (even tho they were both late-round draft selections). Not to mention we need 2 "experienced" dmen. I feel for the new coach whomever he may be, because given this development, recent portal activity both ways, and an NAHL commitment, next season is not going to be pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Goddard View Post

I doubt MSU hires or even considers an unknown (outside of Junior hockey circles)from The Junior ranks to replace Cole especially when so many other candidates with D1 and even NHL (looking at you Jeff Blashill) bench boss experience are or will become available here shortly.
                Jim Montgomery was hired by Denver after three seasons with Dubuque. He won a national championship there before heading to Dallas.

I think it would be a mistake to exclude the best USHL coaches from this discussion.

Any successful MSU rebuild plan probably requires solid recruiting from the USHL. It helps to have someone on your staff that knows that landscape well.

Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  Looks like the GLI will be reborn in 2022. And there will be one conspicuous absence from the field of four teams.
                  What info did you find? I can't dig up anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Jim Montgomery was hired by Denver after three seasons with Dubuque. He won a national championship there before heading to Dallas.

I think it would be a mistake to exclude the best USHL coaches from this discussion.

Any successful MSU rebuild plan probably requires solid recruiting from the USHL. It helps to have someone on your staff that knows that landscape well.
                    True but Denver wasn’t in rebuild mode when Montgomery was hired and focus can’t solely be on USHL talent in this rebuild! I’d much rather see a mix of USHL and BCHL talent be the focus in this new rebuild.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Age be damned, get the money that is needed to bring back an alum. Jeff Jackson. He would be my first call. Michigan State hockey has been irrelevant for quite some time now. A proven coach with a track record of turning ND into a consistent NCAA tournament team. He very well might not have any interest in leaving ND. But it's worth a shot. Make him tell you no. Or else bring back Damon Whitten and pray he has what it takes like you did with Anastos and Cole.
                      The Jeff Jackson shark was jumped back in 2002! Notre Dame won’t let him go and I honestly believe Jeff Jackson still is bitter about getting ZERO consideration for the job back in ‘02!

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post

What info did you find? I can't dig up anything.
                        Joe Shawhan was on the Chasing MacNaughton podcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Goddard View Post

The Jeff Jackson shark was jumped back in 2002! Notre Dame won’t let him go and I honestly believe Jeff Jackson still is bitter about getting ZERO consideration for the job back in ‘02!

Fair enough. I'm coming at this as an outsider so I didn't know the background there.

Comment

• If I'm Michigan State and Jeff Jackson isn't in the cards, an outside the box hire who would be a home run is Brock Sheahan from the Chicago Steel. He's done an incredible job there, has been a college assistant and has a crazy future in front of him

Comment

• Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                              If I'm Michigan State and Jeff Jackson isn't in the cards, an outside the box hire who would be a home run is Brock Sheahan from the Chicago Steel. He's done an incredible job there, has been a college assistant and has a crazy future in front of him
                              I’m assuming he’s going straight to Notre Dame after Jackson retires.

I think he’d do pretty well here, though. The dude’s only 37, too.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Curious to hear what happened at the banquet last night

Comment

Working...
                                X