Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Recruiting news…MSU signed 3 for next year this fall: Basgall (smaller defensive dman), Shoudy (potential checking line forward), and Russell (decent scoring numbers in USHL). Missing is Winter Wallace who has had problems scoring in the USHL.

Also add Jack Sparkes as a verbal probably for 2023. A big 6’8” dman from Ontario.
    I guess you were correct with your reason why Winter Wallace wasn't signed back in the Fall. He's no longer committed to MSU per last weekend's Youngstown line charts.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

I guess you were correct with your reason why Winter Wallace wasn't signed back in the Fall. He's no longer committed to MSU per last weekend's Youngstown line charts.
      He's been a strikethrough on Heisenberg's spreadsheet for a while now.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

He's been a strikethrough on Heisenberg's spreadsheet for a while now.
        I guess I'm late to the party but I tend to rely on the USHL line charts over consulting with Heisenberg, so I must've missed it. Not that it matters with this team, still nothing to get excited about I see.

Comment

• I don’t know if I like putting the ceremony after the game, but I’m really happy the seniors got a win on senior night. That losing streak was brutal.
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

I don’t know if I like putting the ceremony after the game, but I’m really happy the seniors got a win on senior night. That losing streak was brutal.
            Agreed, great to hear that these important traditions are observed and extra meaningful after a win where a Sr. 4th liner gets the GWG. Is there any chance that any of the seniors would be invited back after such a ceremony? Also, it will be interesting to see if any of them elect to go into the transfer portal a la Tommy Miller last season, who's carved out a decent role for himself as a responsible defensive dman at a successful Northeastern.

Comment

I don’t know if I like putting the ceremony after the game, but I’m really happy the seniors got a win on senior night. That losing streak was brutal.
              I also was unsure about it but now I like it.

it was also a very nice ceremony. I feel like for a few years it felt very rushed and lackluster but this one felt appropriate. I swear there was at least one year where the guys didn’t even get to skate a lap.

Also, feels good to finally get a win. I checked out emotionally weeks ago but really wanted that one for the players.
              Last edited by Pirateasaur; 02-27-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• One good thing about following an annually bad hockey team is the lack of emotional attachment when your rival crushes you and ends your season in round 1 of the league tournament.

Doesn’t feel like much will be changing anytime soon, either.

Comment

• Starting to wonder if the assistant coaches will both return next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    Starting to wonder if the assistant coaches will both return next season.
                    They call that rearranging the deck chairs...

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Starting to wonder if the assistant coaches will both return next season.
                      Exter's not getting renewed. It looks like Luongo will return.

Exter handled the goaltenders and, if I recall correctly, was the chief recruiter.
                      66 - 86 - 07

Comment

• Bad Recruiter is the problem. Cannot miss on high quality players that are peaking coming out of juniors. Need to rebuild over the next 2 years and have a strong sophomore core in place in 2 years to turn things around
                        MSU continues to spin and spin out of control
                        Last edited by Puckstopper467; 03-21-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Yes, recruiting has been poor. Not sure if Exter is the reason or the scapegoat. Since Cole arrived there have been no high end recruits from juniors. The best ones lately have come from the transfer portal. The expectation when he was hired was his connections with the US program would result in an upgrade in recruiting. So far no US program player has chosen MSU, except one through the transfer portal.
                          Last edited by wsummers; 03-21-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Great point and the portal is a bad way to fill gaps. Teams are plucking from the portal and missing players coming out of juniors who are peaking and can develop farther within the program. MSU is not getting those type of players. The smaller schools are getting stronger due to getting the players out of juniors who are clicking.

Comment

• The biggest dry hole for MSU right now isn't the NTDP, but southern Ontario. That used to be the backbone of the roster when the Spartans were one of the powerhouse schools in college hockey. The current roster has only 3 players from there (Gucciardi, Nienhaus, and Charleson), no commits for next season, and only one in two years time. Whoever the next assistant coach is had better find a way back into the hotbed just east of lower Michigan.

Comment

• For next year Cole has said he expects up to 10 new faces. Announced today are the additions of Gavin Best and Justin Jallen. Of the two Jallen, a one year grad student, is likely to be a second line player.

These are added to the previously announced Matt Basgall (D), Daniel Russell (LW), and Tiernan Shoudy (Cj.

Shoudy is a checking line player. Best and Russell have potential to score, but will take time to adjust to Big Ten hockey.

Expected to be added: Luca DiPasquo (G) and some additional players (most likely 1-2 year transfer portal players). They need 1-2 defensemen and at least another proven scorer.

If MSU can’t create an effective second scoring line the result will be another 7th place finish and likely coaching change.

Edit: Jallen should have 2 years of eligibility left as he only played 3 years at Brown.
                                Last edited by wsummers; 03-28-2022, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X