Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Loughran is the new Pat Verbeek - the Little Ball of Hate. Didn't think the first goal was going to count because he had his stick pretty high (for him anyway). The second was just the will to get stuck in and be the first to a loose puck.
    Loughran won me over Saturday night. Dude is feisty.

Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• A little late to respond…on Friday I thought we were out muscled, didn’t forecheck well, didn’t get traffic in front of the goal, but still should have pulled out a win. On Saturday, while still giving up too many Grade A’s, we forechecked and attacked much better. Looks like we have 2 scoring lines and should score enough to compete in the middle of the Big 10.

My understanding is Berger and Haskins were injury scratches.

The next 3 weeks should tell us a lot more.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
        A little late to respond…on Friday I thought we were out muscled, didn’t forecheck well, didn’t get traffic in front of the goal, but still should have pulled out a win. On Saturday, while still giving up too many Grade A’s, we forechecked and attacked much better. Looks like we have 2 scoring lines and should score enough to compete in the middle of the Big 10.

My understanding is Berger and Haskins were injury scratches.

The next 3 weeks should tell us a lot more.
        Thanks for the update on Berger and Haskins, WSummers. I was surprised neither saw any game action over the weekend, particularly Haskins who I thought acquitted himself nicely as a Frosh last season. Good to know we have those two promising Fs in the wings who can ideally upgrade a few spots on lines 3 and 4. That makes me slightly more optimistic regarding future offensive production from those lines.

That having been said, this was an Atlantic hockey opponent who typically recruits Tier 2 and D1 bubble players (I count 2 Tier 1 players on AFA’s roster). To not be prepared to win both games was a huge missed opportunity because it’s only going to get harder from here.

Comment

• I won’t be able to attend this weekend which is disappointing because I am looking forward to seeing progress against a fairly beatable Miami team. I agree that our top 2 lines are promising, especially with Loughran out there. Some guys just pop and even in a lackluster performance by the team last Friday, he caught my eye.

Defensively, I am more concerned. We gave up a lot of shots on the weekend. Better B1G teams would feast on what I witnessed so far.

I think we are in decent shape in goal whether it be DeRidder or Charlson.

Comment

• Overall, nice win against a team likely to be near the bottom of their league. Honestly, MSU should have scored another 2 or 3 goals based on the many odd man rushes they had.

In 3 games 6 of our 10 goals have come from transfers. 2 of the others are from Lewandowski, a 5th year player. The only other forward to score was in an empty net.

Haskins was in the lineup Friday as the extra skater and saw limited ice time as he recovers from injury.
            Last edited by wsummers; 10-16-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• A few thoughts…

Good come from behind victory tonight. MSU had no powerplay opportunities while they had to skate off 2, including a 5 minute. After the game the Miami coaches didn’t come out to shake hands.

MSU is off to a 3-1 start and first sweep in over a year.

This team is much more talented offensively than the last couple. Nice to see them carry the puck in instead of dump and chase.

Both goals tonight were also from transfers. Without them we would probably be 0-4 or 1-3.

MSU had an unbelievable number of great scoring chances which they either fanned on, missed the net, missed the tip in, or were stonewalled by the goalie. Hopefully, they’ll start converting on those opportunities.

Due to a postponement, Mass Lowell will have not played in the last two weekends after splitting with ASU. That should work in MSU’s favor on Friday.

Comment

• Miami also dipped deeply into the transfer poral and even attracted the Cornell F that I coveted. But props to Cole and staff for seemingly getting our transfers to gel earlier and more often than Bergeron & Co. I realize it's early but I'm slightly more optimistic about our prospects this season than previously. The sweep is something to build on, let's see where it goes from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                  Miami also dipped deeply into the transfer poral and even attracted the Cornell F that I coveted. But props to Cole and staff for seemingly getting our transfers to gel earlier and more often than Bergeron & Co. I realize it's early but I'm slightly more optimistic about our prospects this season than previously. The sweep is something to build on, let's see where it goes from there.
                  I think this team has the potential to be a high middle of the Big 10 team…they should be competitive against all except the top two (one of whom shall not be named). They are generating a lot more scoring opportunities than the last couple of years and have a powerplay that looks like it should click at about 20%. Defense is still pretty good. PK was excellent this weekend, but quite frankly, Miami’s PP was not impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

I think this team has the potential to be a high middle of the Big 10 team…they should be competitive against all except the top two (one of whom shall not be named). They are generating a lot more scoring opportunities than the last couple of years and have a powerplay that looks like it should click at about 20%. Defense is still pretty good. PK was excellent this weekend, but quite frankly, Miami’s PP was not impressive.
                    After seeing Notre Dame in person this weekend, the best that that Spartans can hope for is 4th. Fast, physical, and deep...and now they have possibly the best goalie in college hockey in Matt Galajda.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

After seeing Notre Dame in person this weekend, the best that that Spartans can hope for is 4th. Fast, physical, and deep...and now they have possibly the best goalie in college hockey in Matt Galajda.
                      That’s fine. We’re not greedy.

Comment

• I noticed that we got another '04 commit yesterday, a good looking defenseman:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/trans...e-univ./467815

At this point, though, I was hoping Cole would focus on getting some promising elite scorers. UMich is cleaning up in that regard, in fact they just flipped a 5-star NTDP kid from Notre Dame to add to their haul.
                        Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 10-21-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• FYI - You can watch both games for free.
                          https://www.collegesportslive.com/he...ns-ice-hockey/

Comment

• Friday, October 29, 2021

Michigan State 2 at Ohio State 1

Video of MSU's second goal at:

https://247sports.com/college/michig...082872/?page=1

Comment

• Two very different types of pain over the prior weekend. On Friday, it felt like we hung around until the dam broke in the third. On Saturday, MSU came out unmotivated and the dam broke instantly. (On the whole, despite somewhat pulling it together in the last 25-ish minutes, I was quite disappointed with Saturday's game.)

In a weird way, I think this weekend will set the tone for the rest of the season. Ferris isn't great. It will probably say a lot about the direction and motivation of this team if MSU finds itself struggling again.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                                In a weird way, I think this weekend will set the tone for the rest of the season. Ferris isn't great. It will probably say a lot about the direction and motivation of this team if MSU finds itself struggling again.
                                Well said. Ferris is indeed struggling, and these are two games that theoretically MSU should be able to win comfortably. Interestingly, Ferris's leading Frosh scorer (5-2--7 in 10 GP) who's off to a strong start is Brad Marek, a former MSU commit.

Comment

Working...
                                X