No announcement yet.

Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current stretch of 205:16 is the program record for longest without scoring a goal. Yesterday marked the first time ever that the Spartans were shut out in three consecutive games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      I have a question that's in relation to a thread on the women's forum. Has the upgrades to Munn been completed and does anyone know if the upgrades would allow space to someday include a women's team?
      I believe construction will be continuing all summer. I have no idea on the women’s team. MSU has a women’s club team currently.

Comment

Let me ask one more question. Obviously MSU's hockey priorities are finishing the Munn project and getting the men's program back on track but hypothetically speaking, how feasible would it be to revamp Dominion Hall to house a woman's team like OSU did with their old rink?

Comment

Let me ask one more question. Obviously MSU's hockey priorities are finishing the Munn project and getting the men's program back on track but hypothetically speaking, how feasible would it be to revamp Dominion Hall to house a woman's team like OSU did with their old rink?
          I assume you mean Demonstration Hall which was used for hockey prior to 1974. Not feasible. It’s old and the last time I was there a few years ago to watch roller derby in what was the old ice surface the place had an old dirty garage atmosphere. I don’t see MSU adding women’s hockey, but if they did it wouldn’t be there.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post

I assume you mean Demonstration Hall which was used for hockey prior to 1974. Not feasible. It’s old and the last time I was there a few years ago to watch roller derby in what was the old ice surface the place had an old dirty garage atmosphere. I don’t see MSU adding women’s hockey, but if they did it wouldn’t be there.
            I stand corrected on the name of the building. It's just a shame MSU doesn't have a women's NCAA hockey program in my opinion.

Comment

I stand corrected on the name of the building. It's just a shame MSU doesn't have a women's NCAA hockey program in my opinion.
              There are no D1 women’s teams in Michigan. Northern has looked into it, but I’m not aware of Michigan or Michigan State giving it any serious consideration.

Comment

It's just a shame MSU doesn't have a women's NCAA hockey program in my opinion.
                Fine to have that opinion, but you're also talking about an athletic department that had to cut a sport this year. MSU doesn't have the donor base to approach the level of the Big Ten schools who sponsor women's hockey. It would have to come from that funding source, and it just isn't there.

Comment

Sure they do....

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Fine to have that opinion, but you're also talking about an athletic department that had to cut a sport this year. MSU doesn't have the donor base to approach the level of the Big Ten schools who sponsor women's hockey. It would have to come from that funding source, and it just isn't there.
                    What sport was cut and did it have both men & women's teams that were cut?

Comment

It was the men’s and woman’s belt whipping teams.

Comment

Swimming

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Swimming
                          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyLeary On LSD View Post

It was the men’s and woman’s belt whipping teams.
                            Somebody must be a closet Wolverine!

Comment

There is definitely a women’s club team, along with a men’s. I am not sure what sort of schedule women’s DI uses but I imagine they could be hosted at Munn. If not, then Suburban, the community rink just off campus would likely be fine.

but like others have mentioned, adding a DI women’s team is nowhere near a priority at the moment.

Comment

I was curious because Illinois has already invested in looking to start a D1 men's team (although it may be delayed now with the pandemic financial hit) and if the Title IX women's sport they have to add would also be hockey then the Big Ten is only one team away from the minimum six needed to start a women's conference. I thought perhaps at least facilities wise MSU would have been a strong candidate to be that sixth team. I wasn't aware of the financial problems with the athletic department.

Comment

Working...
                                X