No announcement yet.

Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ho boy talk about a huge bounce back win by the skin of our teeth. Great job by the team for hanging in there and responding.

I think this team, for all the deficiencies we’ve anticipated this season is playing pretty well. Hanging around .500 is probably what many of us chalked up as a success heading into the season.

the talent disparity was evident, though. UM should be disappointed with their record right now because I saw a very dangerous and skilled team out there. Every bit as much as Minnesota and much more so than anyone else in the league this year.

Cole simply must pull more offensive talent in recruiting if we want to consistently compete in the B1G. We’ll probably find ourselves in another coaching search in a few years if we always need to rely on goaltending, defense and puck luck to scratch out wins against the top teams in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      Ho boy talk about a huge bounce back win by the skin of our teeth. Great job by the team for hanging in there and responding.

I think this team, for all the deficiencies we’ve anticipated this season is playing pretty well. Hanging around .500 is probably what many of us chalked up as a success heading into the season.

the talent disparity was evident, though. UM should be disappointed with their record right now because I saw a very dangerous and skilled team out there. Every bit as much as Minnesota and much more so than anyone else in the league this year.

Cole simply must pull more offensive talent in recruiting if we want to consistently compete in the B1G. We’ll probably find ourselves in another coaching search in a few years if we always need to rely on goaltending, defense and puck luck to scratch out wins against the top teams in the league.
      You've summed things up nicely and consistent with my thoughts. U-M are men among boys out there. (And they're only widening the talent gap. I'm familiar with a U-M recruit from SWFL who currently plays with the NTDP U-17s who's quite the offensive dman). If I were a betting mom I'd say they'll figure things out and be there with Minny at the end of the season.

As far as Cole's offensive recruiting, his wins are few and far between. That having been said, I'll give him credit where credit is due for picking up Combs who appears to be a good find, even if only for a year (or two? I can't figure out who's getting a COVID-related pass next year). Hopefully Middendorf is an equally talented transfer who could have an impact next season and beyond. Nodler and Muller are coming along now that it's evident Cole's Jr. and Sr. F classes are largely depth players (even Lewy is disappointing me). Finally, Haskins is a pleasant surprise where I was hopeful that Papp would be, so there is that. Not enough to get Cole a contract extension if that's the benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

You've summed things up nicely and consistent with my thoughts. U-M are men among boys out there. (And they're only widening the talent gap. I'm familiar with a U-M recruit from SWFL who currently plays with the NTDP U-17s who's quite the offensive dman). If I were a betting mom I'd say they'll figure things out and be there with Minny at the end of the season.

As far as Cole's offensive recruiting, his wins are few and far between. That having been said, I'll give him credit where credit is due for picking up Combs who appears to be a good find, even if only for a year (or two? I can't figure out who's getting a COVID-related pass next year). Hopefully Middendorf is an equally talented transfer who could have an impact next season and beyond. Nodler and Muller are coming along now that it's evident Cole's Jr. and Sr. F classes are largely depth players (even Lewy is disappointing me). Finally, Haskins is a pleasant surprise where I was hopeful that Papp would be, so there is that. Not enough to get Cole a contract extension if that's the benchmark.
        I think everyone gets the Covid pass so hopefully Combs sticks around. With that being said, I do hope Cole makes some difficult choices and has some guys to move on to make room for the incoming class because we are still utterly lost in the offensive wilderness. I don’t know what seniors would be doing in school next year, anyway. Hockey players don’t often take 5 years to get a bachelor’s.

I’m also hoping that the updates to Munn give a boost. The inner workings of Munn are currently far, far behind the rest of the league and that has to make recruiting more difficult.

Comment

I think everyone gets the Covid pass so hopefully Combs sticks around. With that being said, I do hope Cole makes some difficult choices and has some guys to move on to make room for the incoming class because we are still utterly lost in the offensive wilderness. I don’t know what seniors would be doing in school next year, anyway. Hockey players don’t often take 5 years to get a bachelor’s.

I’m also hoping that the updates to Munn give a boost. The inner workings of Munn are currently far, far behind the rest of the league and that has to make recruiting more difficult.
          Right, I'm on record that Cole should've made the tough cuts when he arrived on campus. But in his defense, he must've made sure the writing was on the wall for several players (by limiting TOI) and at least one chose to move on (Keefer -- he's actually doing OK for NMU after sitting out last season). So now that he's had time to evaluate, Srs. like Smith; Stevens; Esteves; Kamer; and Apap (sorry!) should absolutely not be encouraged to return as 5th year players.

I'm a believer that the facilities can be a determinant all things being equal. But IMO the most important criteria for a recruit is whether the coach has a track record of getting players to the pros. Cole developed Anastos recruits Hirose and Khodo for pro careeers, which begs the question why didn't Taro's younger bro Akito chose Michigan State? That really perplexes me.

Comment

Right, I'm on record that Cole should've made the tough cuts when he arrived on campus. But in his defense, he must've made sure the writing was on the wall for several players (by limiting TOI) and at least one chose to move on (Keefer -- he's actually doing OK for NMU after sitting out last season). So now that he's had time to evaluate, Srs. like Smith; Stevens; Esteves; Kamer; and Apap (sorry!) should absolutely not be encouraged to return as 5th year players.

I'm a believer that the facilities can be a determinant all things being equal. But IMO the most important criteria for a recruit is whether the coach has a track record of getting players to the pros. Cole developed Anastos recruits Hirose and Khodo for pro careeers, which begs the question why didn't Taro's younger bro Akito chose Michigan State? That really perplexes me.
            Since Akito is a defenseman I’m not sure how much of a difference he would make.

as far as 5th year, Combs is probably the most likely assuming he hasn’t finished his graduate degree. If Apap wanted to get a graduate degree I’d make room for him for his faceoffs.

The team is steadily improving. What’s lacking is the 1 or 2 bluechip offensive guys coming in each year.

Still lots of games to go this year...we’ll see if MSU can find a powerplay and more offense.

Comment

I don't think we'll see Hirose in the NHL again, and Khodorenko is a long shot. The current roster doesn't have any future NHL players, and maybe not even any AHL players. As fans we tend to overrate the players we root for, but to be brutally honest, I think we have last place talent. Cole has got to do a better job recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by spartyon58 View Post

I don't think we'll see Hirose in the NHL again, and Khodorenko is a long shot. The current roster doesn't have any future NHL players, and maybe not even any AHL players. As fans we tend to overrate the players we root for, but to be brutally honest, I think we have last place talent. Cole has got to do a better job recruiting.
                You're preaching to the choir re. the last place talent on this team and need for better recruiting. Not to mention, this team has some serous deadweight. But when I say "the pros", I'm including the AHL since the NHL can be a numbers game, even for those with sufficient talent. For example, I'm familiar with former FL and Notre Dame defenseman Andrew Peeke, who just made CBJ's taxi squad. On another team, he might make the top 8 or even top 6. So it's not necessarily an indictment not to make an NHL roster. Also, it appears that Jerad Rosburg may be catching on with the AHL Texas Stars, so add him to your list.

Comment

You're preaching to the choir re. the last place talent on this team and need for better recruiting. Not to mention, this team has some serous deadweight. But when I say "the pros", I'm including the AHL since the NHL can be a numbers game, even for those with sufficient talent. For example, I'm familiar with former FL and Notre Dame defenseman Andrew Peeke, who just made CBJ's taxi squad. On another team, he might make the top 8 or even top 6. So it's not necessarily an indictment not to make an NHL roster. Also, it appears that Jerad Rosburg may be catching on with the AHL Texas Stars, so add him to your list.
                  MSU has definitely got to put more players in the NHL and AHL to help recruiting. I was also discouraged to look at NHL Central Scouting's Watch List for 2020-21, and seeing 7 players headed to UM, 7 headed to Wisconsin, a couple to Notre Dame, a couple to Minnesota, a couple to Penn State, and none to MSU. Granted this list only includes players in their draft eligible year, but still disappointing considering there are over 300 players listed. Players seem to improve with Cole and his coaching staff, but it would be nice to see what he can do with higher ceiling guys. I guess I was spoiled with the Ron Mason years, making the NCAA tournament most every year, winning The CCHA, winning GLIs, and putting multiple players in the NHL. I was hoping Danton Cole could get MSU back to national prominence, but I guess we'll have to be patient.

Comment

Train wrecks can be entertaining; I just don't want to see one every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      Yeah, that third period was horrifyingly bad.

Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

So with Notre Dame now hosting the whole Big Ten postseason tournament, does that mean that NBC Sports will control all the TV and not allow BTN to show any games?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          I have started to lose faith in the season. We bounced back well the next day but we’re now lagging behind the pack and it’s hard to imagine this team stringing 3 or 4 wins together at a time.

I feel like we fade in the 2nd half most years. Maybe I’m imagining that.

Comment

I have started to lose faith in the season. We bounced back well the next day but we’re now lagging behind the pack and it’s hard to imagine this team stringing 3 or 4 wins together at a time.

I feel like we fade in the 2nd half most years. Maybe I’m imagining that.
                            Gotta agree. It’s impossible to put together a string of 3 or 4 wins when you’re averaging less than 2 goals a game, and have the leagues worst powerplay and most penalty minutes. An average offense would keep MSU in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to escape last place.

While I didn’t expect this team to be an offensive force, I thought they would be around 2.5 goals a game.

So far Cole’s best offensive players have been inherited or transferred from other programs. The top incoming forward next year is likely to be Middendorf, another transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Gotta agree. It’s impossible to put together a string of 3 or 4 wins when you’re averaging less than 2 goals a game, and have the leagues worst powerplay and most penalty minutes. An average offense would keep MSU in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to escape last place.

While I didn’t expect this team to be an offensive force, I thought they would be around 2.5 goals a game.

So far Cole’s best offensive players have been inherited or transferred from other programs. The top incoming forward next year is likely to be Middendorf, another transfer.
                              I feel for you. Much of what you state applies to ASU also.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

I feel for you. Much of what you state applies to ASU also.
                                It applies to a lot of offensively challenged D1 programs, so MSU is certainly far from alone. The problem as I see it is we hired a guy 4 years ago to cut down the program and make drastic changes, and I see little progress in that direction. Guys like Carvel, Motzko, and dare I say even Brekke at SLU have done much more in that or less time. Moral of the story: Don't hire the guy who's inexperienced in building programs.

WSummers, Jeremy Davidson also qualifies as a USHL- and NCAA-experienced transfer recruited by Cole. I do tend to reserve a bit of judgment on PPG OAs in the USHL, since they're piling on the points vs. '02s, '03s, and even the occassional '04s. So it remains to be seen how those recruits will translate to Cole's style. After all, even Combs is closer to 1/2 PPG at the moment, and clearly we need to do better.

Comment

Working...
                                X