X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    First 5 signings for next year have been announced.

https://msuspartans.com/news/2021/2/...r-2021-22.aspx
    No surprise here as three of the five are OAs and, as a whole, these are the recruits who are the most D1 ready. While I expect the OAs to have lofty stats, I admit this is an uptick from prior recruiting classes and agree that Cole has reason to be optimistic. Now let's see how he rounds out the class.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    First 5 signings for next year have been announced.

https://msuspartans.com/news/2021/2/...r-2021-22.aspx

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny Danger View Post
    dennis cesana is the team's leading scorer. As a defenseman. means, there's not too much offense from the offense ;-)
    That's not necessarily always true. John-Michael Liles led the team in scoring in two straight seasons with guys like Adam Hall and Jim Slater on those rosters.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied

Cesana was a flip from Army, the K twins from Wisconsin, Mattson from North Dakota, Combs from BSU. Incoming Sophomores Davidson from UMassAmherst and Middendorf from CC. Middendorf and Davidson are leading their teams in scoring, but as 20 year olds they should...we’ll see if it carries over next year.

I’m not as down on Cole as you seem to be. He has had a couple top recruits who never made it to campus. My biggest disappointment is he hasn’t so far been able to draw guys from the USA program which he used to coach. The players he has recruited (Fresh/Soph) haven’t developed offensively (at least not yet). While the previous years showed slow progress, this Year has been a slide backwards as they have a non-existent powerplay and offense that is offensively challenged at even strength.
    Add Goodsir from Denver to your foregoing "flip" list. Not that he makes the list any more attractive.

Bottom line, I was never convinced Cole was the right hire (not experienced in a successful rebuild; too nice a guy to make the tough decisions; etc. etc.). Consequently, I have a lot further way to go to be won over. But if you re-read your post, I'm struggling to come away with anything positive that would change my position. Incoming OA recruits who arguably should dominate 02s, 03s, and the smattering of 04s in Tier 1? The ones that got away? The regression in the PP and offense? Help a girl out!

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

Danton Cole flipped Cesana from USMA shortly after being hired at MSU, and Cesana's shown that he's better than your average AHA player. That having been said, his development trajectory, along with most of the team, has stagnated under Cole. So it's hard to know what his ceiling really is. Since Cesana's one of the few offensive weapons, he'd be a waste on the PK at the moment.
    Cesana was a flip from Army, the K twins from Wisconsin, Mattson from North Dakota, Combs from BSU. Incoming Sophomores Davidson from UMassAmherst and Middendorf from CC. Middendorf and Davidson are leading their teams in scoring, but as 20 year olds they should...we’ll see if it carries over next year.

I’m not as down on Cole as you seem to be. He has had a couple top recruits who never made it to campus. My biggest disappointment is he hasn’t so far been able to draw guys from the USA program which he used to coach. The players he has recruited (Fresh/Soph) haven’t developed offensively (at least not yet). While the previous years showed slow progress, this Year has been a slide backwards as they have a non-existent powerplay and offense that is offensively challenged at even strength.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny Danger View Post
    dennis cesana is the team's leading scorer. As a defenseman. means, there's not too much offense from the offense ;-)
    Beside that .. how is Cesana's development? is he playing on the PK?
    Danton Cole flipped Cesana from USMA shortly after being hired at MSU, and Cesana's shown that he's better than your average AHA player. That having been said, his development trajectory, along with most of the team, has stagnated under Cole. So it's hard to know what his ceiling really is. Since Cesana's one of the few offensive weapons, he'd be a waste on the PK at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Danger
    replied
    Beside that .. how is Cesana's development? is he playing on the PK?

Leave a comment:

• digitalbooya
    replied
    Donovan with a horrible hit...

Edit: I'm in the wrong thread. I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

I feel for you. Much of what you state applies to ASU also.
    It applies to a lot of offensively challenged D1 programs, so MSU is certainly far from alone. The problem as I see it is we hired a guy 4 years ago to cut down the program and make drastic changes, and I see little progress in that direction. Guys like Carvel, Motzko, and dare I say even Brekke at SLU have done much more in that or less time. Moral of the story: Don't hire the guy who's inexperienced in building programs.

WSummers, Jeremy Davidson also qualifies as a USHL- and NCAA-experienced transfer recruited by Cole. I do tend to reserve a bit of judgment on PPG OAs in the USHL, since they're piling on the points vs. '02s, '03s, and even the occassional '04s. So it remains to be seen how those recruits will translate to Cole's style. After all, even Combs is closer to 1/2 PPG at the moment, and clearly we need to do better.

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

Gotta agree. It’s impossible to put together a string of 3 or 4 wins when you’re averaging less than 2 goals a game, and have the leagues worst powerplay and most penalty minutes. An average offense would keep MSU in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to escape last place.

While I didn’t expect this team to be an offensive force, I thought they would be around 2.5 goals a game.

So far Cole’s best offensive players have been inherited or transferred from other programs. The top incoming forward next year is likely to be Middendorf, another transfer.
    I feel for you. Much of what you state applies to ASU also.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I have started to lose faith in the season. We bounced back well the next day but we’re now lagging behind the pack and it’s hard to imagine this team stringing 3 or 4 wins together at a time.

I feel like we fade in the 2nd half most years. Maybe I’m imagining that.
    Gotta agree. It’s impossible to put together a string of 3 or 4 wins when you’re averaging less than 2 goals a game, and have the leagues worst powerplay and most penalty minutes. An average offense would keep MSU in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to escape last place.

While I didn’t expect this team to be an offensive force, I thought they would be around 2.5 goals a game.

So far Cole’s best offensive players have been inherited or transferred from other programs. The top incoming forward next year is likely to be Middendorf, another transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Train wrecks can be entertaining; I just don't want to see one every weekend.
    I have started to lose faith in the season. We bounced back well the next day but we’re now lagging behind the pack and it’s hard to imagine this team stringing 3 or 4 wins together at a time.

I feel like we fade in the 2nd half most years. Maybe I’m imagining that.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    So with Notre Dame now hosting the whole Big Ten postseason tournament, does that mean that NBC Sports will control all the TV and not allow BTN to show any games?

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied
    Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Yeah, that third period was horrifyingly bad.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X