X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

All good points, recruiting is recruiting. You want to land the best possible recruits through whatever means, portal or conventional. The portal is essentially a way to either fill holes from unexpected losses or upgrade prior recruiting misses. While I acknowledge that Mucha is a nice get by Nightingale, I don’t expect him to be considerably better than portal loss Nodler or academic flameout Loughran. Or perhaps Nightingale can upgrade that late walk-on recruit by Cole who hasn’t been formally announced. Suffice to say I’m still waiting for him to land that first elite recruit through conventional means.
    As to that late Cole unsigned to date recruit…One of his former NAHL coaches told me he is a great kid with a strong work ethic..that said, he also has never played at the USHL level. Unless he surprises, he’s most likely a 4th line or practice player. He is enrolled at MSU for the fall, but hasn’t been signed which indicates Nightengale is working on another possible higher skilled forward.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

Agree. Any incoming freshman still available to sign is likely a borderline talent player that we’d be saddled with for 4 years. We’ve had plenty of those over the last decade. It’s why we’re here right now.
    All good points, recruiting is recruiting. You want to land the best possible recruits through whatever means, portal or conventional. The portal is essentially a way to either fill holes from unexpected losses or upgrade prior recruiting misses. While I acknowledge that Mucha is a nice get by Nightingale, I don’t expect him to be considerably better than portal loss Nodler or academic flameout Loughran. Or perhaps Nightingale can upgrade that late walk-on recruit by Cole who hasn’t been formally announced. Suffice to say I’m still waiting for him to land that first elite recruit through conventional means.
    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 05-21-2022, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post

What top uncommitted recruits for next year are still available? Also, coaches can't just think 4 years down the line as by then they could be out of a job. Gotta do whatever you can to get some results and hope the recruiting follows. He was never gonna be able to bring in top players for this upcoming season.
    Agree. Any incoming freshman still available to sign is likely a borderline talent player that we’d be saddled with for 4 years. We’ve had plenty of those over the last decade. It’s why we’re here right now.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
    Good pick up for 1 year, however no recruiting process in place and losing out on players that could actually give you 4 years.. Portal is not the answer for a rebuild
    What top uncommitted recruits for next year are still available? Also, coaches can't just think 4 years down the line as by then they could be out of a job. Gotta do whatever you can to get some results and hope the recruiting follows. He was never gonna be able to bring in top players for this upcoming season.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    Good pick up for 1 year, however no recruiting process in place and losing out on players that could actually give you 4 years.. Portal is not the answer for a rebuild

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

He’s apparently saying that he was out of the country and unable to enter the portal in time. I have no idea how it works so I assume it’s not a fake excuse.
    Apparently he had enough credits to graduate…so a grad transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Better get NMU on the schedule, 5 of Mucha's 10 goals last season came against the Wildcats.

Not sure how this one worked logistically, since I understand you had to declare for the portal before May 1 and he isn't listed as coming into it until the 13th. If he's a grad student it would be much easier since LSSU has no grad level classes so you can make one of those Russell Wilson moves. One way or another he was the best player available in the portal at that point.
    He’s apparently saying that he was out of the country and unable to enter the portal in time. I have no idea how it works so I assume it’s not a fake excuse.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    A few new developments.

It looks like Griffin Loughran will be leaving.

Laker Aldridge and Zach Dubinsky are still expected, but haven’t been signed yet.

Miroslav Mucha entered the portal after May 1 and is appealing to the NCAA so he can transfer to MSU.

UPDATE: While I was posting this MSU announced the signings of Dubinski and Mucha.
    Better get NMU on the schedule, 5 of Mucha's 10 goals last season came against the Wildcats.

Not sure how this one worked logistically, since I understand you had to declare for the portal before May 1 and he isn't listed as coming into it until the 13th. If he's a grad student it would be much easier since LSSU has no grad level classes so you can make one of those Russell Wilson moves. One way or another he was the best player available in the portal at that point.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Well, the K twins are back for a 5th year. D and G are now set. We’ll see if there are any changes with the forwards.

All of the Spartans in the portal have now found new (or the same) homes for next year at Northern, UMass, North Dakota, and Long Island.

Nights is getting 470K and 5 year contract.
    https://twitter.com/Emckown23/status...AKhC-HWpA&s=19

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    A few new developments.

It looks like Griffin Loughran will be leaving.

Laker Aldridge and Zach Dubinsky are still expected, but haven’t been signed yet.

Miroslav Mucha entered the portal after May 1 and is appealing to the NCAA so he can transfer to MSU.

UPDATE: While I was posting this MSU announced the signings of Dubinski and Mucha.
    Last edited by wsummers; 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Well, the K twins are back for a 5th year. D and G are now set. We’ll see if there are any changes with the forwards.

All of the Spartans in the portal have now found new (or the same) homes for next year at Northern, UMass, North Dakota, and Long Island.

Nights is getting 470K and 5 year contract.
    Last edited by wsummers; 05-18-2022, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    St Cyr is now official along with Underwood.

https://msuspartans.com/news/2022/5/...r-2022-23.aspx
    Last edited by wsummers; 05-14-2022, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
    Luca is no way ready for college hockey. needs 1-2 more years of junior hockey!!
    Well whatever the circumstances, and I'm admittedly no evaluator of goalies, that's a nice first upgrade by Nightingale IMO. Going from a guy who's hardly backstopped an NCAA game to an experienced, albeit undersized, goalie will only improve the position. Though Charleson's probably not happy with the competition....

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    Luca is no way ready for college hockey. needs 1-2 more years of junior hockey!!

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

Interesting and thanks for the development. I wonder if Nightingale will bring in Luca diPasquo who was ranked 15th for North American goalies in the final NHL Central Scouting list.
    Looks like it will be Dylan St Cyr for next year replacing MacDonald. he has 1 covid year after 3 at Notre Dame and 1 at Q
    Last edited by wsummers; 05-12-2022, 07:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X