Michigan State Hockey 202?-202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Season starts in 6 days with exhibition at Plymouth. Not sure what to expect this year, but defense and goaltending should be fine. Offense can’t get worse. Reports are that Lewie, Middendorf, and Davidson are especially looking good. Looking forward to the Air Force series when I can get my first look.
    It’s been a year and a half since I’ve seen a hockey game in person so I’m very excited. It doesn’t feel like it’s been that long but the last 18 months sometimes feel like they never existed, somehow.

As a result, I’ve never known less about an MSU hockey team heading into the season.

Comment

• In presser today Cole gave current first two lines.
      1 - Middendorf Nodler Loughran
      2 - Lewandowski Papp Davidson

3rd center is Muller

Comment

• Well, good thing it doesn’t count.

Losing to the U18 doesn’t mean much. Getting shut out, however, feels like a bad omen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
          Well, good thing it doesn’t count.

Losing to the U18 doesn’t mean much. Getting shut out, however, feels like a bad omen.
          The U18 is a strong team. That having been said, it just feels like more of the same old, same old (e.g., lack of scoring) where this team is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

The U18 is a strong team. That having been said, it just feels like more of the same old, same old (e.g., lack of scoring) where this team is concerned.
            For what it’s worth(not much) Notre Dame also dropped their exhibition against the U-18 team.

But as we’ve already determined, it’s the goose egg that has us worried, not the loss.

Comment

• Losing to the NTDP is never fun, even if they're good and even if the game doesn't mean anything.

But yeah, I'm also concerned that we don't have a goal-scorer this year. I think we have a bunch of assist guys, but I don't know if we have anybody that can put it in the cage. The sample size is limited, though. (Technically, it's a sample size of zero.) Hopefully, this is just an overreaction to a bad exhibition game on the road.

Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Looks like Mich blasted BG in an exhibition 7-1. A lot of these exhibitions sure seem secretive. I have to check team Twitter pages to know these games even happened.

But my point here is that Cole needs to have this team buzzing this year because another .300 record that might include getting thumped by Michigan might find his seat getting very uncomfortable.

Comment

Looks like Mich blasted BG in an exhibition 7-1. A lot of these exhibitions sure seem secretive. I have to check team Twitter pages to know these games even happened.

But my point here is that Cole needs to have this team buzzing this year because another .300 record that might include getting thumped by Michigan might find his seat getting very uncomfortable.
                  Box score of sorts from USCHO.com for said same thumping of the Falcons by the Weasels, although as you say I'm not really sure what the take-aways are:

https://www.uscho.com/gameday/divisi...-06/game-2351/

In any event, your point re. Cole is well taken, and you are preaching to the choir!

Comment

I’m not going to count the pandemic year against him, but enough time will have passed by the end of this season to look at trend lines. This is Cole’s year to show his work.

66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

• Well, we’re roughly as good as Air Force. Where do we think they would rank in the Big 10?

Might have even caught covid while watching. Who knows?

I’ll have actual thoughts later.

Comment

Well, we’re roughly as good as Air Force. Where do we think they would rank in the Big 10?

Might have even caught covid while watching. Who knows?

I’ll have actual thoughts later.
                        I don't think the question is where would AF rank in the B1G, it's where would MSU rank in Atlantic Hockey? And I don't have to tell you that's not a good look.

Comment

• Alright, some quick observations:
                          Our top line of Middendorf, Nodler and Loughran is pretty good. Loughran was especially notable. I actually felt like from top to bottom, our forward lines looked more promising than we’ve seen in quite a while. Despite this, it seemed like we never really could put it all together last night. Hopefully that changes as we get a few games under us.

Defensively, I was disappointed. We gave up a lot of shots, a lot of scoring chances, and turned the puck over too much. AF bursts of speed both beat us to the outside and split the D up the middle. We looked slow and disjointed at times. Now, I fully anticipate AF to be nowhere near the fastest squad we play against so I hope this was just a weird aberration.

DeRidder was solid in net.

Comment

Defensively, I was disappointed. We gave up a lot of shots, a lot of scoring chances, and turned the puck over too much. AF bursts of speed both beat us to the outside and split the D up the middle. We looked slow and disjointed at times. Now, I fully anticipate AF to be nowhere near the fastest squad we play against so I hope this was just a weird aberration.

DeRidder was solid in net.
                            We looked better defensively when Charleson was in net last week against the U-18s. Assuming he starts, I'm guessing we'll look better tonight.

I still have no clue who the goal-scorers are going to be, though.

66 - 86 - 07

Comment

• Well, I wasn’t able to see the game last night due to a social function but it looks like we turned it around. Good to see. Looks like the PP clicked and we tightened up defensively.

Comment

• Loughran is the new Pat Verbeek - the Little Ball of Hate. Didn't think the first goal was going to count because he had his stick pretty high (for him anyway). The second was just the will to get stuck in and be the first to a loose puck.

Cesana's goal is worth finding the video for. Swooped in and went between the legs, a real goal scorer's goal.

I don't know what it is about Charleston, but he always looks like he's going to topple over backwards. At 6'2" and 190, all his pads are ungodly big. Might be the most unathletic goalie in the last decade of college hockey, but somehow he gets it done occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                                X