Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    As of 2019 wiki has UST at $541.6 million endowment. Still crazy when you consider the size of the school.
    I think people put too much emphasis on endowments, especially in comparisons between private and public schools. Private schools fund themselves unlike public universities.

Don't get me wrong, they have a nice sized endowment. But to put things in perspective, Lafayette College has about 2,600 students with an endowment of over $800 million.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

the question about the other rinks would be how many have 16-18 Friday/Saturday dates available in the October to February window and can block of 3 weekends in March for potential playoff dates. I’m sure they’ll come up with the best plan they can. Looking forward seeing them develop at the D-1 level.
      Would the UMN rinks be realistically available, even if there were enough open dates? In other words, would UMN choose to assist a new recruiting rival, even if it got a steep premium on rent?

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

I think people put too much emphasis on endowments, especially in comparisons between private and public schools. Private schools fund themselves unlike public universities.

Don't get me wrong, they have a nice sized endowment. But to put things in perspective, Lafayette College has about 2,600 students with an endowment of over $800 million.
        I wouldn't underestimate UST's ability to raise money for specific projects, but I am not sure whether its basketball and football facilities also need upgrades for Division I.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

I wouldn't underestimate UST's ability to raise money for specific projects, but I am not sure whether its basketball and football facilities also need upgrades for Division I.
          "Need"? Duquesne (Northeast Conference) football plays in a 2200 seat "stadium" and is DI. Rider (MAAC) basketball plays in a 1950 seat barn & is DI. Technically UST only "needs" a bigger barn because of conference requirements (if the CCHA has the same requirements as the WCHA) as Anchorage is playing DI hockey in a 800 seat rink
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

The CCHA wants St Thomas in their conference. Anyone notice how CCHA commissioner Don Lucia worked together with the current UST athletic director back at Minnesota?

The CCHA is not going to hold them over the coals about their ice rink. If UST says they’re going to figure something out, then they will. Besides, St Thomas Academy’s rink is already better than a handful of D1 rinks to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              Besides, St Thomas Academy’s rink is already better than a handful of D1 rinks to begin with.
              Says more about Atlantic Hockey and Anchorage than it does about STA.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                I get that there’s an abundance of Atlantic Hockey caliber rinks around town for the high school programs, but does anyone seriously think that’s an option for them? Like can you envision St Thomas playing at Richfield Ice Arena?
                On a short-term basis why not?

Comment

I get that there’s an abundance of Atlantic Hockey caliber rinks around town for the high school programs, but does anyone seriously think that’s an option for them? Like can you envision St Thomas playing at Richfield Ice Arena?
                  Ya... I can envision them playing at their brother high school's arena for a while... Big deal.

St. Thomas' five year hockey program health outlook is clearly better than both Alaska schools and Alabama.

Comment

as a michigan tech fan i am so glad to now be sitting and watching other things develop with the likes of LIU, ASU, and UA*... and even possibly some new programs on the wings.

while i would love to have a seven team conference with an equal and balanced schedule with more OOC games, having that 8th team brings security (seven is too close to six) of maintaining the conference but also monetary...

UST will be fine no matter what will happen in 21/22 or even a few year after that. the best solution will be figured out and games will be played regardless of where. really happy about them also being in the cities as well... great exposure in a great market and within the conference footprint. (pipe dream; trade BGSU for UMD).

so as i sit and watch from a comfy chair beer in hand;

LIU is a much better fit in the AHA then UAH. but then, LIU could probably just stay an indy, since travel would never to an issue to play most-all eastern schools. but i doubt they would not want to join a conference. ASU is taking its time... either the NACHO or the B1G.

i have absolutely no idea what the likes of UA* will be doing... none.

GO TECH GOLD!
                    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 08-04-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Says more about Atlantic Hockey and Anchorage than it does about STA.
                      fyi... most of the crappy AHA arenas are a thing of the past. Only Niagara and Mercyhurst (that I'm aware of - not sure about RMU) still play in questionable D-I caliber facilities.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                        as a michigan tech fan i am so glad to now be sitting and watching other things develop with the likes of LIU, ASU, and UA*... and even possibly some new programs on the wings.

while i would love to have a seven team conference with an equal and balanced schedule with more OOC games, having that 8th team brings security (seven is too close to six) of maintaining the conference but also monetary...

UST will be fine no matter what will happen in 21/22 or even a few year after that. the best solution will be figured out and games will be played regardless of where. really happy about them also being in the cities as well... great exposure in a great market and within the conference footprint. (pipe dream; trade BGSU for UMD).

so as i sit and watch from a comfy chair beer in hand;

LIU is a much better fit in the AHA then UAH. but then, LIU could probably just stay an indy, since travel would never to an issue to play most-all eastern schools. but i doubt they would not want to join a conference. ASU is taking its time... either the NACHO or the B1G.

i have absolutely no idea what the likes of UA* will be doing... none.

GO TECH GOLD!

Think you nailed it. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. UST has a great story. LIU is not too bad. When ASU puts "the footings" in for an arena pretty sure a few conferences would love to be aligned with a PAC 12 University & their already very compelling story becomes an excellent story.

Obviously the traditional powers will always have great stories. The newer programs are in a fine spot.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          fyi... most of the crappy AHA arenas are a thing of the past. Only Niagara and Mercyhurst (that I'm aware of - not sure about RMU) still play in questionable D-I caliber facilities.
                          I visited RMU when Tech played there last year. It isn't anything special but certainly good enough. The varsity rink is a typical smaller size facility with bleacher seating on two sides, a lower height roof that sloped one direction so that it was lower over the player benches and higher over the fan seating area. The facility reminded me of Ferris State for those more familiar with WCHA/CCHA teams.

It is part of a multi-sheet facility and even has covered outdoor roller hockey rinks as part of the complex. First times I've seen that combo in my road game travels.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I visited RMU when Tech played there last year. It isn't anything special but certainly good enough. The varsity rink is a typical smaller size facility with bleacher seating on two sides, a lower height roof that sloped one direction so that it was lower over the player benches and higher over the fan seating area. The facility reminded me of Ferris State for those more familiar with WCHA/CCHA teams.

It is part of a multi-sheet facility and even has covered outdoor roller hockey rinks as part of the complex. First times I've seen that combo in my road game travels.
                            Minus roller hockey, that sounds a lot like the Dwyer at Niagara.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by skolbrother View Post

Think you nailed it. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. UST has a great story. LIU is not too bad. When ASU puts "the footings" in for an arena pretty sure a few conferences would love to be aligned with a PAC 12 University & their already very compelling story becomes an excellent story.

Obviously the traditional powers will always have great stories. The newer programs are in a fine spot.
                              UST: Inside of best recruiting metro area in the country
                              LIU: Less than an hour away from NYC
                              ASU: The weather, the girls...

All three will work out barring some horrible decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X