Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post

There is no doubt in my mind that St. Thomas has committed to build a facility that will be one of the better in the league.
    I'm not sure where they have room to build one and I'm sure the residents in that area will put up a fight.

In the mean time, they could play at the Xcel Center or Target Center, both are about a 10-15 minute drive from campus.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post

I'm not sure where they have room to build one and I'm sure the residents in that area will put up a fight.

In the mean time, they could play at the Xcel Center or Target Center, both are about a 10-15 minute drive from campus.
      I have heard the Xcel Center has a hellish rental rate. That was part of the reason the Minnesota State High School League has had to raise their ticket prices to get out of the red.

Would the Target Center take them on?

TRIA Rink would give them 1800 seats, still below seating standards of the current WCHA, but more than what they have now. But working around Wild Practices, the Whitecaps, Hamline Men's and Women's teams and local beer leagues and youth hockey, not sure how they would get pigeon holed in.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I have heard the Xcel Center has a hellish rental rate. That was part of the reason the Minnesota State High School League has had to raise their ticket prices to get out of the red.

Would the Target Center take them on?

TRIA Rink would give them 1800 seats, still below seating standards of the current WCHA, but more than what they have now. But working around Wild Practices, the Whitecaps, Hamline Men's and Women's teams and local beer leagues and youth hockey, not sure how they would get pigeon holed in.
        If it's just for home games, which may be around 18 games a year, it might doable at Xcel.

When Target Center took on the Frozen Faceoff, it took the arena three days to make ice and the Thursday before to set up, for two days of hockey and Disney on Ice.

The arena still makes ice for the Disney show each year. The arena does have locker rooms directly behind each team's bench that wouldn't interfere with a lot of the basketball locker rooms.

Target Center can easily curtain off the upper level, the curtain is up all year, but the hockey press box would have to be moved. You'd probably have about 7,000 seats in that set up.

But will UST hockey draw enough fans in to make it worthwhile for either arena? Drawing fans for games against NMU and LSSU is a lot different than drawing fans for games against Mankato and Bemidji.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post

If it's just for home games, which may be around 18 games a year, it might doable at Xcel.

When Target Center took on the Frozen Faceoff, it took the arena three days to make ice and the Thursday before to set up, for two days of hockey and Disney on Ice.

The arena still makes ice for the Disney show each year. The arena does have locker rooms directly behind each team's bench that wouldn't interfere with a lot of the basketball locker rooms.

Target Center can easily curtain off the upper level, the curtain is up all year, but the hockey press box would have to be moved. You'd probably have about 7,000 seats in that set up.

But will UST hockey draw enough fans in to make it worthwhile for either arena? Drawing fans for games against NMU and LSSU is a lot different than drawing fans for games against Mankato and Bemidji.
          I can see using the lower bowl at Target or Xcel if they have a non-conference game against the Gophers or Hawks, but outside of that, and especially for conference games, anything over 4000 will probably be overkill.
          Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Options are:

- Rent out an obscenely large arena (Xcel/Target Center)

- Rent out one of the Gophers’ rinks

- Continue using a high school sized arena.

What other choice do they have?
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Options are:

The cheapest option would be to pay to renovate the State Fairgrounds Coliseum, which has hosted hockey for years but doesn't anymore because the ice plant needs replaced. It holds 5-6,000. And it's less than 5 miles from campus.

As for HS rinks, as discussed earlier, there are several Twin Cities metro schools that have rinks that could pass in Atlantic Hockey. I'm not sure why folks don't understand how many options there are in the Twin Cities *****https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200802/06cce672116c1e99b156a24e52078e69.jpg******
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                The cheapest option would be to pay to renovate the State Fairgrounds Coliseum, which has hosted hockey for years but doesn't anymore because the ice plant needs replaced. It holds 5-6,000. And it's less than 5 miles from campus.

As for HS rinks, as discussed earlier, there are several Twin Cities metro schools that have rinks that could pass in Atlantic Hockey. I'm not sure why folks don't understand how many options there are in the Twin Cities *******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...69.jpg********
                You bring up some good points. I'm betting they will be in good shape both short & long term.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Options are:

Build new. Yes, St Thomas is land locked as a campus, but someone(s) will throw enough money around to get it done.
                  Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Ya, they'll easily find the money to build a nice arena. And if they need to play a year in the arena at the HS (which is a newish, modern arena) they'll be fine.

I can see UST competing for recruits with the Gophers and in games against them within 5-7 years. Money rules the world and they have a strong network of rich alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

Build new. Yes, St Thomas is land locked as a campus, but someone(s) will throw enough money around to get it done.
                      Maybe UST can build one on the old Ford plant, it's being developed right now. There's also an empty Walmart next to Allianz Field. Both are, at most, 10 minutes from the campus.

Comment

To the extent folks assign credibility to the US News & World Report annual college rankings, here are some 2018 tidbits re St. Thomas:

Ranking: 139 of 399 in the National Universities category
                        Students: 6,395
                        Endowment: $436.2M (remarkable for a school of this size)
                        Acceptance rate: 82% (umm....)
                        Tuition: ~$42K (a relative bargain these days)
                        Campus: 78 acres (Not a whole lot of room. Now I understand the previous comment (#61) about neighbors likely resisting an on-campus rink construction project.)
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

You bring up some good points. I'm betting they will be in good shape both short & long term.

the question about the other rinks would be how many have 16-18 Friday/Saturday dates available in the October to February window and can block of 3 weekends in March for potential playoff dates. I’m sure they’ll come up with the best plan they can. Looking forward seeing them develop at the D-1 level.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            To the extent folks assign credibility to the US News & World Report annual college rankings, here are some 2018 tidbits re St. Thomas:

Ranking: 139 of 399 in the National Universities category
                            Students: 6,395
                            Endowment: $436.2M (remarkable for a school of this size)
                            Acceptance rate: 82% (umm....)
                            Tuition: ~$42K (a relative bargain these days)
                            Campus: 78 acres (Not a whole lot of room. Now I understand the previous comment (#61) about neighbors likely resisting an on-campus rink construction project.)
                            As of 2019 wiki has UST at $541.6 million endowment. Still crazy when you consider the size of the school.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              As of 2019 wiki has UST at $541.6 million endowment. Still crazy when you consider the size of the school.
                              Maybe they should buy the University of Minnesota
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I get that there’s an abundance of Atlantic Hockey caliber rinks around town for the high school programs, but does anyone seriously think that’s an option for them? Like can you envision St Thomas playing at Richfield Ice Arena?
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X