Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So what happens to all the current players on the Tommies roster? Most, if not all, are not D1 players.
    I would guess they would be granted a release after this season, if they choose to take it. They would then be free to move to another team.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I would guess they would be granted a release after this season, if they choose to take it. They would then be free to move to another team.
      D3 doesn't need a release. But I guess most, if not all, will be transferring to other D3 schools.

In the midst of the recruiting dead period, stocking a D1 roster for 21/22 is going to be challenging.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

For the first couple years their roster will be comprised of D1 level recruits and the best players from their above average D3 program.

Comment

The CCHA is expected to officially confirm St. Thomas as its 8th member school today.

Comment

What is the CCHA minimum arena seat capacity criteria? I understand St. Thomas' arena holds 700-800.

Comment

St. Thomas can rent out any number of local arenas to meet the CCHA's arena criteria.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The current WCHA is at 2500, I would think the new CCHA would be similar.

St. Thomas will eventually need a different arena, whether it is new or renting ice at another arena in the Twin Cities. I would guess the CCHA would grant them a waiver for a couple of years to get things worked out. There are some deep pockets in the alumni network for St. Thomas, so I see them being able to get something done (especially with football playing in the non-scholarship Pioneer League).
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

So will the Tommies get a new arena before ASU?
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I would assume yes, and expect it to be fully funded out of some massive booster pockets.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...k&refresh=true] St. Thomas men's hockey team to join CCHA in 2021-22

[/url]Star Tribune

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

I would assume yes, and expect it to be fully funded out of some massive booster pockets.
                        I quote this from elsewhere:

I don't think St. Thomas is going to have many financial issues.

UST raised about $36M in FY 2019 and has an endowment of nearly $500M as of FY 2019 that has almost doubled in the past decade.

Just to compare to some other institutions... SCSU raised $10.6 M in FY 2019 and has an endowment of $29M... North Dakota raised about $67.7 M in FY 2019 and has an endowment of $285M ...

Comment

St Thomas being so easily/quickly accepted to the CCHA tells me there were even bigger issues with ASU than their rink (or lack thereof). The Sun Devils had better reach out to WMU immediately and ask for a copy of their "Why Western" campaign so they can edit it to "Also Adding ASU?" and pass it on to the NCHC ASAP.

Without the NCHC taking them, ASU is going to be independent for a long time. Nobody else out West is going to be adding hockey with schools now cutting sports left and right. Their best hope for the near future is to try and secure some loose scheduling agreement with the four other independent teams to at least put 8 games on their schedule every year. But trying to get that travel budget approved with Covid going on and revenue way down is going to be a big ask. If there was extra money available - A bigger travel budget for ASU hockey or new travel warm-up suits and another three new sets of uniforms for the Sun Devils football team? What do you think the athletic department will choose...
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

http://mihockey.com/2020/07/ccha-add...-of-st-thomas/

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              No, being ASU arena groundbreaking is in November, of course COVID could change that but no changes yet announced.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                St Thomas being so easily/quickly accepted to the CCHA tells me there were even bigger issues with ASU than their rink (or lack thereof). The Sun Devils had better reach out to WMU immediately and ask for a copy of their "Why Western" campaign so they can edit it to "Also Adding ASU?" and pass it on to the NCHC ASAP.

Without the NCHC taking them, ASU is going to be independent for a long time. Nobody else out West is going to be adding hockey with schools now cutting sports left and right. Their best hope for the near future is to try and secure some loose scheduling agreement with the four other independent teams to at least put 8 games on their schedule every year. But trying to get that travel budget approved with Covid going on and revenue way down is going to be a big ask. If there was extra money available - A bigger travel budget for ASU hockey or new travel warm-up suits and another three new sets of uniforms for the Sun Devils football team? What do you think the athletic department will choose...
                                You are correct. The extenuating issue had to do with the WCHA, maybe CCHA, requesting travel payments to play in PHX/Tempe, which was rejected. But you knew that.

Comment

Working...
                                X