Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Meanwhile, in Champaign-Urbana...
    Honestly the Illini (or the Kingfishers if we want to start that now) are in no rush and have no reason to be in a rush. It doesn't matter if they add hockey next year or in a decade, they will have a home in the BigTen. I can see the Covid budget crunch being the reason Kingfisher hockey doesn't happen for at least a couple more years. Any money around campus is going to be use to try and keep existing sports above water. They certainly won't be adding another high budget sport like hockey when the budget is already stretched razor thin, if not completely busted.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      If you think UAH is sweating St Thomas getting to go D-I, think what is going through ASU's collective minds right now. They had a multi-year window to get on board with the WCHA/CCHA. Now with St Thomas going D-I that window is pretty much closed. If I was the Sun Devils, I would start sucking up to the NCHC really hard, and quickly. If the NCHC passes them over (rink or no rink), they might be independents for a loooog time. Their other option is to be beating down the doors of every major university in CA and convince them they need a D-I hockey team. See below why that isn't going to happen.**

While not great, UAH's geography is FAR better than where ASU is sitting. At least UAH is a bus trip from most of the Eastern conferences. The only schools remotely thinking about busing to ASU are CC, DU and maybe Omaha. ** If you don't think that is a big deal, just look at how many schools are dropping sports due to budget shortfalls. Hmmm, do we want to schedule a flight or a bus for our non-conference series? ASU independent in the West and playing 30+ road games a season... How long are they willing to do that before Sun Devil hockey becomes non-essential in Phoenix?
      Well-said. Maybe ASU, UAA, UAF, and UAH will form the All-America-AAA Association. We'll call it Aaaaaaargh. The Aaaaaaargh awaits you with big, nasty, pointy teeth!

Tim
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

IF St. Thomas can get an acceptable rink plan together, I could see the NCHC making a play for them. It would give the NCHC an even stronger foothold in a MSP media market. I feel like St. Thomas has a deep enough pockets financially to be with the NCHC members.

Now the question becomes, who would go with the Tommies to the NCHC? Mankato? Arizona State? Would a NCHC team (Miami?) leave for the CCHA?
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          IF St. Thomas can get an acceptable rink plan together, I could see the NCHC making a play for them. It would give the NCHC an even stronger foothold in a MSP media market. I feel like St. Thomas has a deep enough pockets financially to be with the NCHC members.

Now the question becomes, who would go with the Tommies to the NCHC? Mankato? Arizona State? Would a NCHC team (Miami?) leave for the CCHA?
          Would an NCHC team be willing to eat the exorbitant exit fees to leave that league?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Would an NCHC team be willing to eat the exorbitant exit fees to leave that league?
            Come on, this is the NCHC! We all know about the smoke filled back room deals that can happen......
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

If I'm Fenton and an opportunity presented itself to trade a geographic outlier with little fan support for a school with deep pockets and a darned good local fanbase that would boost Frozen Faceoff and Nacho TV revenue, I'd certainly consider discounting or eliminating any exit fees.

Comment

Just have a Western Conference with Arizona St, the Alaska twins and the Colorado triplets.

Bang! done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus Buckice View Post
                  Just have a Western Conference with Arizona St, the Alaska twins and the Colorado triplets.
                  Bang! done.
                  Sorry that idea won't even get discussed because it actually makes sense. Nothing about college hockey makes sense. There is no place for logic in D-I hockey.

Comment

What about that makes sense? Six team conferences suck. Ask the CHA. Not to mention, one or both the Alaska schools are on life support. Why on earth would CC & DU leave the NCHC for that? Or AFA leave Army (and potentially Navy)?
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      What about that makes sense? Six team conferences suck. Ask the CHA. Not to mention, one or both the Alaska schools are on life support. Why on earth would CC & DU leave the NCHC for that? Or AFA leave Army (and potentially Navy)?
                      Not to mention, the NCHC is headquartered in Colorado Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        Q: What about that makes sense? Six team conferences suck.
                        A: Western US based teams actually being in the same conference which limits travel time and costs.

They won't be just six for very long. UNLV, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and many others out West all have D-I hockey programs in the works...

...according to the experts on this message board.

Comment

A: Western US based teams actually being in the same conference which limits travel time and costs.

They won't be just six for very long. UNLV, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and many others out West all have D-I hockey programs in the works...

With the AHL coming to Vegas, you can pretty much put the UNLV fantasy to rest.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Took me a hot second to observe the sarcasm.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Took me a hot second to observe the sarcasm.
                              ... because it was blinding!

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

So what happens to all the current players on the Tommies roster? Most, if not all, are not D1 players.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X