Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

"While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    "While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members
    I wonder if the nCCHA will extend an invitation in order to give UST's waiver request a little more weight.

Comment

So would this still be a 5-year process for UST? That kinda leaves them high and dry for 3-4 years during the transitional phase doesn't it? I thought the MIAC was giving them the boot after Spring '21.

It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        So would this still be a 5-year process for UST? That kinda leaves them high and dry for 3-4 years during the transitional phase doesn't it? I thought the MIAC was giving them the boot after Spring '21.
        Worst case scenario, maybe a year or two independent and a couple years as affiliate member? They could even do a scheduling agreement while independent

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

Don Lucia said, St. Thomas would be an interesting candidate to join the CCHA.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/1...to-division-i/
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            I think the transition period is for full membership and post-season eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              Don Lucia said, St. Thomas would be an interesting candidate to join the CCHA.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/1...to-division-i/
              More on Lucia and St. Thomas:

Positive developments for both Don Lucia, St. Thomas
              https://www.startribune.com/positive...mas/571367402/

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Best of luck to St. Thomas. Will be interesting to watch their journey & see where they land.

Comment

I wish the program the best of luck, even if they join the CCHA and block the last hopes that UAH has of joining the conference that's best for us. We've blown a couple chances right now and I won't fault the CCHA schools if they don't take the Chargers (even if I will have voodoo dolls of all seven university presidents).

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

I just received an email from the University of St. Thomas. The NCAA has approved the school's move to D-I. The email says they will be joining the WCHA for women's hockey, the Pioneer Football League and Summit League for all other sports. It also says "it is excited about conference options for our men's hockey program."

Comment

I'll just reiterate my title for this thread - welcome St Thomas to DI & the CCHA!

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

Congrats, Tommies.

Big uphill battle for them, as their rink situation isn’t any better than LIU’s. Also, I hold high expectations for the student sections of the CCHA to come up with Tom Toss jokes.

Im guessing that with their funding, they’ll figure the arena part out.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...n-i/571780492/
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Meanwhile, in Champaign-Urbana...
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              I wish the program the best of luck, even if they join the CCHA and block the last hopes that UAH has of joining the conference that's best for us. We've blown a couple chances right now and I won't fault the CCHA schools if they don't take the Chargers (even if I will have voodoo dolls of all seven university presidents).
                              GFM
                              If you think UAH is sweating St Thomas getting to go D-I, think what is going through ASU's collective minds right now. They had a multi-year window to get on board with the WCHA/CCHA. Now with St Thomas going D-I that window is pretty much closed. If I was the Sun Devils, I would start sucking up to the NCHC really hard, and quickly. If the NCHC passes them over (rink or no rink), they might be independents for a loooog time. Their other option is to be beating down the doors of every major university in CA and convince them they need a D-I hockey team. See below why that isn't going to happen.**

While not great, UAH's geography is FAR better than where ASU is sitting. At least UAH is a bus trip from most of the Eastern conferences. The only schools remotely thinking about busing to ASU are CC, DU and maybe Omaha. ** If you don't think that is a big deal, just look at how many schools are dropping sports due to budget shortfalls. Hmmm, do we want to schedule a flight or a bus for our non-conference series? ASU independent in the West and playing 30+ road games a season... How long are they willing to do that before Sun Devil hockey becomes non-essential in Phoenix?
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                              X