No announcement yet.

Welcome St Thomas to Division I and the CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half a billion is a massive endowment for a school the size of UST. They're gonna be fine.

Comment

I think when ASU said no the first time, the WCHA and nCCHA had mostly moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Half a billion is a massive endowment for a school the size of UST. They're gonna be fine.
        And it will continue to go up. Really, the Tommies outgrew the MIAC about 25 years ago.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I think when ASU said no the first time, the WCHA and nCCHA had mostly moved on.
          I'd say it worked out just fine. ASU can and has still played CCHA teams out of conference, and they have figured out a way to piece together an independent schedule that allows them to make the NCAA tournament as an at-large. Meanwhile, the CCHA stayed within its geographic footprint.

The new CCHA is too "small potatoes" for a D1 major with 90,000 students, and that fact doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

I'm not thrilled with this. it seems like it was pre planned months ago. If that was the case they should have just told the other schools about it and let them get going on a new place to play instead of dropping a bomb on them like they did.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I'm not thrilled with this. it seems like it was pre planned months ago. If that was the case they should have just told the other schools about it and let them get going on a new place to play instead of dropping a bomb on them like they did.
              IMO, the day UST announced last year that the MIAC kicked them out was the first day of them moving to the WCHA/CCHA.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

St. Thomas men's hockey team to join CCHA in 2021-22

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...-22/571943302/
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I'm not thrilled with this. it seems like it was pre planned months ago.
                  It may have been, but I think it isn't hard to make the argument that StT is by FAR the best fit to round out the CCHA of the current independent programs. Even if there was no preplanning, how long would it take to look around college hockey and conclude they were the best option for the CCHA. How long would StT have to think to conclude the CCHA was their logical landing place?

They are small school, within the existing footprint of the conference, a D-I school (eliminates the minimal fears of BGSU bolting and taking the lone D-I voice in the room with them), they apparently have money to burn and even for as good as their other sports teams has been in D-III, I have to imagine that hockey will get an even bigger focus on campus going forward.

They can become a competitive hockey program in only a couple seasons where as football could take a decade or more, if ever, to reach that level of competitiveness in D-I. Not to mention they sit right in the center of the state of hockey. How will their hockey program NOT get more than their fair share of attention from the athletics department? There are now five other D-I hockey programs they have to exceed, just to be the best in their own state. I could easily see StT picking up some Gopher/SCSU/Mankato/Duluth/BSU 4th line cast offs with no playing time and being an above 0.500 team their first year in the CCHA.
                  Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-30-2020, 05:45 PM.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I fully expect Mitch's Misfits to hold a Tommy Boy look-alike contest the first time St Thomas comes to Houghton.
                    Tommies like wingies...

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-30-2020, 06:00 PM.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Something tells me that the nWCHA’s and CCHA’s “minimum arena requirements”, such as they are, aren’t very meaningful.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Something tells me that the nWCHA’s and CCHA’s “minimum arena requirements”, such as they are, aren’t very meaningful.
                        There is no doubt in my mind that St. Thomas has committed to build a facility that will be one of the better in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post

There is no doubt in my mind that St. Thomas has committed to build a facility that will be one of the better in the league.
                          Perhaps.

ASU is no less committed, it would seem, but that doesn’t always make it happen.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Perhaps.

ASU is no less committed, it would seem, but that doesn’t always make it happen.
                            So, I know it may not be a great comparison, so don't jump on me for this, but StT hasn't had the broken promises like ASU has when it comes to an arena. ASU has gone through, what, like 3 or 4 deals for new arenas, including the one with the Coyotes? Now, according to an article from April, they're still on track to break ground in November & hopefully that's the case for all involved - especially to get people who may be out of work working again.

Hell, it'll be good for the sport.

StT is a new add, so it's not like they've had time to commit to building a new arena then backing out for whatever reason.

Or maybe they've committed to renting out a rink somewhere else in the city until they can expand/build a new rink.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I'd say it worked out just fine. ASU can and has still played CCHA teams out of conference, and they have figured out a way to piece together an independent schedule that allows them to make the NCAA tournament as an at-large. Meanwhile, the CCHA stayed within its geographic footprint.

The new CCHA is too "small potatoes" for a D1 major with 90,000 students, and that fact doesn't bother me at all.
                              I think it would have been great for ASU to join the WCHA/nCCHA conference, being that 10% (?) of the upper Midwest moves down to AZ in the winter & I like the nCCHA teams. But it wasn't meant to be, at least not yet........

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

So, I know it may not be a great comparison, so don't jump on me for this, but StT hasn't had the broken promises like ASU has when it comes to an arena. ASU has gone through, what, like 3 or 4 deals for new arenas, including the one with the Coyotes? Now, according to an article from April, they're still on track to break ground in November & hopefully that's the case for all involved - especially to get people who may be out of work working again.

Hell, it'll be good for the sport.

StT is a new add, so it's not like they've had time to commit to building a new arena then backing out for whatever reason.

Or maybe they've committed to renting out a rink somewhere else in the city until they can expand/build a new rink.
                                Can't say I know of any case where ASU broke any promise. They did their due diligence, came up with a better plan for a revenue generating facility. They fit it in with a grand master plan of the Innovation Corridor rather than hobble something together. Hopefully COVID won't delay groundbreaking & construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X