This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    Look for Coach Souza to address the NCAA eligibility status of Filip Engarås at the noontime press conference.
    And, the word is......?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      And, the word is......?
      2 minutes for you in the box for lack of attention to detail.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        And, the word is......?
        Apparently, he is done for the year but will return to UNH next year. What I want to know is did the NCAA confirm to UNH that Engaras would be eligible next year - that's a pretty big elephant in the room that was not clear in the relating of the press conference...

They we're unexpectedly burned this year - it would be naive to simply think the case would be re-evaluated in their favor next year (or that the NCAA would ever just make the right/consistent decision) because Engaras was already penalized a year. I sure hope they have clear confirmation that missing this season is his entire punishment and he is eligible next fall. It would be awful for both parties involved to come plan/commit for next fall without that sort of confirmation...

Did Souza indicate this confirmation and it hasn't been posted? Does anyone have insight into whether or not the school has received these assurances? They better...

One question answered and another created...?
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
          UNH head coach Mike Souza announced that Filip Engarås (Stockholm, Sweden) has been denied NCAA eligibility and will not play in any UNH games this season. Issue with amateur eligibility. He has committed to remain with the team next season. He has been attending classes and practicing with the team throughout this season.
          Did he lose a year of eligibility? Or was it more or less a red-shirt year? I have to imagine it was the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            That's Snively65's dept...he knows all the 'lore' of the board!!!
            Yes, he ranks at the top of the pole for sure.

(He will get that reference)

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              Did he lose a year of eligibility? Or was it more or less a red-shirt year? I have to imagine it was the former.
              I have to think so - assuming he's greenlit at the start of (or early) next season than this is basically the major junior penalty. See Sean Matile. The NCAA has essentially ruled that Engaras was not a junior playing with a pro-team - but was, in fact, a pro. Most likely, he took an i permitted form of payment or benefit (or was not able to adequately prove he didn't)...

Based on actions - that seems to be the penalty. Missed and docked a full season (+ games??). But their assumptions were wrong last time around, I hope they're not making more. I didn't see the press-conference, but if anyone can confirm he NCAA actually ruled Engaras eligible next season - as opposed to a hopeful re-apply - I would love to hear about it...
              Last edited by Dan; 01-09-2019, 07:17 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                2 minutes for you in the box for lack of attention to detail.
                Oops, I missed the next page with all of Mike's posts. Good finally to have an explanation, as dicey as next year sounds. So much for my desire to have a roster full of Euro players, as much I like the SMT style of play. Sigh.
                Last edited by Snively65; 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Fans can watch Coach Souza's press conference here: https://twitter.com/UNHMHOCKEY/statu...45998358863872

The fact that Engaras has chosen to stay with the team and continue his UNH education reflects well on the UNH coaches, his teammates, and the educational environment. Note that Coach Souza explains he personally went to Sweden to recruit Engaras.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Apparently, he is done for the year but will return to UNH next year. What I want to know is did the NCAA confirm to UNH that Engaras would be eligible next year - that's a pretty big elephant in the room that was not clear in the relating of the press conference...

They we're unexpectedly burned this year - it would be naive to simply think the case would be re-evaluated in their favor next year (or that the NCAA would ever just make the right/consistent decision) because Engaras was already penalized a year. I sure hope they have clear confirmation that missing this season is his entire punishment and he is eligible next fall. It would be awful for both parties involved to come plan/commit for next fall without that sort of confirmation...

Did Souza indicate this confirmation and it hasn't been posted? Does anyone have insight into whether or not the school has received these assurances? They better...

One question answered and another created...?
                    Well, I'll just say it speaks volumes for UNH and for Engaras to stay and sit out a year! He must like Durham and UNH. What's not to like?
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Well, I'll just say it speaks volumes for UNH and for Engaras to stay and sit out a year! He must like Durham and UNH. What's not to like?
                      Just finished listening to the presser...Souza said the NCAA would be docking Engaras for the year so yes he loses a year of eligibility. He reiterated their commitment to him and he (Engaras) is happy to stay with UNH hockey. (As C-H-C said)

In fact they have quite a conversation about how UNH recruited him etc was obvious there is a vested interest here as we will need a good two way centerman next season.
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM.
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Because warm-platitudes aside there is a huge difference between the NCAA ruling Engaras is ineligible this year and ruling that he would become eligible next year...

Watching the press conference - Souza is right to harp on NCAA rulings in similar cases. I've mentioned many times the case of Melvin Karlsson at Lake State who is playing THIS season despite also playing SHL games in his past. That means that the NCAA views something as very serious and different in Engaras' case to rule him in eligible. Knowing the NCAA and its ridged precedence that would worry me unless they we're clear in his ability to regain eligibility and when...

If they have a confirmation that his penalty is THIS season and no (or not much) more than all is well. If they don't - and the NCAA has simply ruled on this season, leaving UNH hoping (even believing) they can (will) appeal and win a different ruling in a year than that is a HUGE risk for player and program...

I just CANNOT believe that wasn't asked as a follow up question and addressed specifically by the reporters. It almost sounded like Souza was about to answer that question before a reporter walked all over his answer asking if Engaras was attending classes. If they had just let him answer the question we might know...

UNH owes it to Engaras to seek and demand that answer (and get it - the NCAA owes him, too) and hopefully they have. Souza's directness in talking about asking Engaras to stay, about him coming back next year and his potential impact is a good indication they're at worst confident in his being able to play next year. Do they KNOW? Is it definite? That's all I'm asking - and I hope that clarification will eventually be sought by someone in the press or in the know...

The best sign is when Souza states that Engaras is being docked a year by the NCAA - the optimisitic interpretation is that how he states that means the NCAA has told them the punishment is a year of eligibility. That this is not a wait and appeal your case again next year type situation. Again, I hope that is a clear final decision expressed to all parties because that's what all deserve. But it's the NCAA, so one always wonders...

I'll leave it at that because I'm not trying to stir up trouble - just genuinely curious and have seen many vague rulings or optimistic assumptions bite both players and ADs before. Let's hope it works out the way they're presenting it will...
                        Last edited by Dan; 01-09-2019, 09:29 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Because warm-platitudes aside there is a huge difference between the NCAA ruling Engaras is ineligible this year and ruling that he would become eligible next year...

Watching the press conference - Souza is right to harp on NCAA rulings in similar cases. I've mentioned many times the case of Melvin Karlsson at Lake State who is playing THIS season despite also playing SHL games in his past. That means that the NCAA views something as very serious and different in Engaras' case to rule him in eligible. Knowing the NCAA and its ridged precedence that would worry me unless they we're clear in his ability to regain eligibility and when...

If they have a confirmation that his penalty is THIS season and no (or not much) more than all is well. If they don't - and the NCAA has simply ruled on this season, leaving UNH hoping (even believing) they can (will) appeal and win a different ruling in a year than that is a HUGE risk for player and program...

I just CANNOT believe that wasn't asked as a follow up question and addressed specifically by the reporters. It almost sounded like Souza was about to answer that question before a reporter walked all over his answer asking if Engaras was attending classes. If they had just let him answer the question we might know...

UNH owes it to Engaras to seek and demand that answer (and get it - the NCAA owes him, too) and hopefully they have. Souza's directness in talking about asking Engaras to stay, about him coming back next year and his potential impact is a good indication they're at worst confident in his being able to play next year. Do they KNOW? Is it definite? That's all I'm asking - and I hope that clarification will eventually be sought by someone in the press or in the know...

The best sign is when Souza states that Engaras is being docked a year by the NCAA - the optimisitic interpretation is that how he states that means the NCAA has told them the punishment is a year of eligibility. That this is not a wait and appeal your case again next year type situation. Again, I hope that is a clear final decision expressed to all parties because that's what all deserve. But it's the NCAA, so one always wonders...

I'll leave it at that because I'm not trying to stir up trouble - just genuinely curious and have seen many vague rulings or optimistic assumptions bite both players and ADs before. Let's hope it works out the way they're presenting it will...
                          Well, not to belabor the points...I doubt if most reporters have a clue about NCAA rulings, how they affect teams, etc. What I do believe is that UNH knows the parameters and have stated that Engaras will lose a year of eligibility, and, he will play for UNH next season. I'm surprised someone asked the question! Looks like they either read this forum, or, someone pointed it out to them as a poignant question to ask, or...they came up with it themselves! But like you say Dan...it's the NCAA...you never know. (and I know zip about how they operate tbh...) At least now we know the rest of the story. Next...

Comment

I figured the news would be coming down soon as I overheard talk about it it last weekend during the autograph signing on Friday night. Seeing him around the arena every game and him being involved with the teams autograph signings and fan events is great and he seems to be very positive about things given his situation. Losing a year of eligibility is not ideal but I would have to assume that there is some assurance that burning this season is the extent of the eligibility punishment he would receive. I don't think we would be seeing him around and waiting on a "maybe" that next season would work out for him. Listening to the pres conference it was good to hear Souza directly reference a connection in Sweden that led him to Filip and hopefully to other international kids in the future, hopefully ones with less ambiguity about their NCAA eligibility. As many have said it speaks well about Filip that he was not on the first flight back to Stockholm after the issue came up.

Take it as a learning experience, I like hearing (and seeing) that Souza is willing to look outside Malden, MA and British Columbia to fill out the roster. I'm just happy to see that it's not just business as usual in UNH hockey right now, maybe things work out and maybe they don't but at least there is a more modern approach to roster management and fan interaction.

Comment

Any news on the Gildon injury and his status for the weekend?
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                                Any news on the Gildon injury and his status for the weekend?
                                Don't think he's playing; that was the gist I got from the presser. Hopeful that he returns (healthy) soon...maybe in time for the Maine game (of which I have just purchased tix)

Comment

Working...
                                X