X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Medical Redshirts are different from regular red-shirts. The Grasso discrepancy exists because, technically, medical red-shirts are not applied until after the player's senior season - they are an 'extra' year, not a red-shirt year. The real term is a hardship waiver...

UNH did the math - and they were correct, where I was initially mistaken, about the ability to round down the percentage - and Grasso qualifies. They list him as a R-SO, and I don't think anyone at the NCAA really cares, but in reality he is a JR with an extra year available. I assume UNH has reached out to confirm with the NCAA that he qualifies when the time comes. If so, they appear on the ball in this one...

Boyd's hardship concern came two years ago - with his season cut in half due to his illness. So he was still set to return for his true senior season when the issue occurred. I have no idea what the plan was for his fifth year - I imagine UNH expected to keep both he and James Miller - considering that when Miller left they needed to jump on MacKinnon and bring in a spare in Hickey, but it's possible if Miller stays they're still in the market and Boyd graduates and moves on (a la Adam Clark)...

I would think UNH adding a third D recruit for next season (Eriksson), along with McElhaney and Bahn means Dawson is gone. Remember, his games played number is so low because he wasn't playing despite being healthy to start the season. Even if Gildon departs early - UNH will have Wyse, Maass, MacKinnon, Verrier, Hickey, Erikkson, McElhaney and Bahn next year. That's eight (and at least 7 scholarship). Tells me Gildon and Dawson are likely to leave. The alternative option would be McElhaney missing so much time with an injury of his own and possibly being deferred, but I wouldn't expect it unless Gildon surprises and stays for his junior season...

If Maass is out the year, he'll qualify for a fifth year when the time comes. It's not a decision that has to be made now. If he's healthy to play - I play him. He's unlikely to play that fifth year even if he qualifies for it. Assuming he plays his four true years, his NHL Draft rights expire that summer and I'd imagine someone would want to sign him as a UFA. That assumes he doesn't have a breakout JR season and sign with the Capitals, who wish to avoid potentially losing him as a UFA, the following year...

If Ref's Engaras hint is correct and it's not an eligibility issue due to professional games - it may be as I stated during the first half, an academic issue. Which could be no fault of his own - it could be a CORE course requirement, a foreign placement test concern or any other transcript issue. That's why I posted in the recruiting thread to keep an eye on the first game after the second semester begins. The problem could be sorted out with a semester in residence and college class work.

January term begins tomorrow, I don't know if that counts or not. I suppose I don't see why it wouldn't. If so, that would put UNH's next game with Merrimack as one to watch. If it doesn't, the spring semester begins January 22 - and would target UNHs game at UConn on Jan. 25th. I think him sticking around the entire first semester indicates he/they think he can play this year. It also probably indicates it was necessary for him (and perhaps a must) that he be on campus to get eligible. If he's not playing by Jan 25, though - forget about it for this season and his NCAA career is at risk, IMO...
    Dan, who do you feel we are more likely to be without next season, Wyse, Gildon, or both? I'm a little worried that there is a larger possibility than most here are looking at that they both are gone after this year. Wyse being undrafted can give you hope that he sticks it out but maybe a team is willing to take an early shot at him and take him for next year.

Comment

This is also true - and I can't imagine any scenario where Dawson suggested coming back as a non-scholarship player with a chance to compete and get a Master's and UNH said no...

But throwing a wrench in this idea are updated NCAA Transfer rule which, assuming he graduates, would allow him to do this anywhere. He barely played last year. He was in the stands when healthy at the beginning of this season. With three more recent Souza recruits expected to arrive on defense, I'm not sure how much time he sees at UNH next year, barring injury.

So would he be so connected to UNH he wouldn't want to play anywhere else/get a Master's anywhere else? Or would he rather, in a potential last year of hockey, transfer somewhere where ice time is more of a likely possibility?

He'd have to pursue a grad degree in something UNH doesn't offer - but that's not always as insurmountable as it might seem on the surface and there is always the benefit of getting two degrees from two universities/environments. As a British Columbia native, a Canadian university is also a realistic opportunity...
      Which is what Justin Agosta did when he did a 5th year at Quinnipiac...(Who incidentally played well last night in Manchester)
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

But throwing a wrench in this idea are updated NCAA Transfer rule which, assuming he graduates, would allow him to do this anywhere. He barely played last year. He was in the stands when healthy at the beginning of this season. With three more recent Souza recruits expected to arrive on defense, I'm not sure how much time he sees at UNH next year, barring injury.

So would he be so connected to UNH he wouldn't want to play anywhere else/get a Master's anywhere else? Or would he rather, in a potential last year of hockey, transfer somewhere where ice time is more of a likely possibility?
        Justin Agosta chose to spend his "bonus" year at Quinnipiac, before setting the ECHL ablaze …
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Justin Agosta chose to spend his "bonus" year at Quinnipiac, before setting the ECHL ablaze …
          Somehow I knew that would come up.... but I figured hey it's been awhile....
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            Dan, who do you feel we are more likely to be without next season, Wyse, Gildon, or both? I'm a little worried that there is a larger possibility than most here are looking at that they both are gone after this year. Wyse being undrafted can give you hope that he sticks it out but maybe a team is willing to take an early shot at him and take him for next year.
            As one of those who raised the concern about both leaving, here's my odds on how next year plays out:

Gildon & Wyse both leave: 30%
            Gildon leaves/Wyse stays: 50%
            Gildon stays/Wyse leaves: 5%
            Gildon & Wyse both stay: 15%

Separately, that means Gildon leaves 80%, and Wyse leaves 35%.

Just guessing. of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              LOL....in case anyone has forgotten this once "hot" news story:
              Hunk o' Burning Love
              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Somehow I knew that would come up.... but I figured hey it's been awhile....
                WIS never forgets the good ones, HR.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  LOL....in case anyone has forgotten this once "hot" news story:
                  Hunk o' Burning Love
                  That's got to be locker room comedy gold, no doubt. Or even worse, falling into the "wrong" hands (see Reg Dunlop and his use of a morsel of critical sensitive personal info against Hanrahan in Slapshot).

Comment

"Red shirt, green shirt, blue shirt".....Good God, just git your dang degrees and git out into the real world, will ya?? It's bad enough we git these players as freshmen when they're old enough to buy booze ferchrissakes, but to give them five-year, six-year, seven-year rides to boot?? For the love of God.....

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year, ya bunch of over-privileged ingrates!!
                    I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                    AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                      At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Gildon is leaving - I think he's ready for the next step, it would be a good and necessary challenge for him, speed up his development and if I'm FL I don't want him in an environment where his talent alone can carry him. I'd want him in the AHL playing against men, at a higher tempo and forced to really focus on playing at a high talent level and being responsible at the same time. I'm not sure what challenges college hockey can really present him for a third go around.

If he stays, it's because he really loves UNH, his teammates and college hockey and would rather be here if not in the NHL immediately (which is unlikely). That would be great. I don't expect it (though I have absolutely no idea what he is thinking - it's just personal speculation). It would be found money if he stays and great for the program. Unfortunately, I think he's going to have to progress up the ladder AHL to NHL whenever he leaves, so it probably makes sense for all concerned to jump start that process...

Wyse is an interesting case and I could see either side, though I'd expect him back. I think his skating still needs work as he prepares for pro-hockey. He's got great size, can move pucks, is responsible in his own end - but will all that translate up a level right now? While I think getting into the pros faster could be a boon for Max, it might hinder Wyse's long term potential. If he can get a little faster and quicker I think that would help him immensely and make him really intriguing.

His offense hasn't taken the jump I thought it might - I think with the injuries on D he's become their biggest shutdown and match-up guy, so it's hardly his fault - but it might limit some of the attention he'll get this offseason. In the end, I think he'll come back for his senior season - he's only 22 - and become one of the more sought after UFAs after his senior season. But it only takes one team to see something in him - and at that size, with his athletic ability and the potential for more competition the following year, who knows for sure. I definitely think there is cause for UNH to monitor his situation...

They should have a pretty good idea on what type of attention he's getting and who is coming into watch him. So if we start to hear/see them on another D for next year it might mean they're concerned about another opening...
                      Last edited by Dan; 01-01-2019, 09:06 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Gildon is leaving - I think he's ready for the next step, it would be a good and necessary challenge for him, speed up his development and if I'm FL I don't want him in an environment where his talent alone can carry him. I'd want him in the AHL playing against men, at a higher tempo and forced to really focus on playing at a high talent level and being responsible at the same time. I'm not sure what challenges college hockey can really present him for a third go around.

If he stays, it's because he really loves UNH, his teammates and college hockey and would rather be here if not in the NHL immediately (which is unlikely). That would be great. I don't expect it (though I have absolutely no idea what he is thinking - it's just personal speculation). It would be found money if he stays and great for the program. Unfortunately, I think he's going to have to progress up the ladder AHL to NHL whenever he leaves, so it probably makes sense for all concerned to jump start that process...

Wyse is an interesting case and I could see either side, though I'd expect him back. I think his skating still needs work as he prepares for pro-hockey. He's got great size, can move pucks, is responsible in his own end - but will all that translate up a level right now? While I think getting into the pros faster could be a boon for Max, it might hinder Wyse's long term potential. If he can get a little faster and quicker I think that would help him immensely and make him really intriguing.

His offense hasn't taken the jump I thought it might - I think with the injuries on D he's become their biggest shutdown and match-up guy, so it's hardly his fault - but it might limit some of the attention he'll get this offseason. In the end, I think he'll come back for his senior season - he's only 22 - and become one of the more sought after UFAs after his senior season. But it only takes one team to see something in him - and at that size, with his athletic ability and the potential for more competition the following year, who knows for sure. I definitely think there is cause for UNH to monitor his situation...

They should have a pretty good idea on what type of attention he's getting and who is coming into watch him. So if we start to hear/see them on another D for next year it might mean they're concerned about another opening...
                        Dan, I don't disagree with anything here but do have a stronger concern about Wyse leaving after this year. while he continues to skate nicely out of the defensive zone, but still is not high on the assist list as has been his UNH experience to date. His strong game is the shut down and the skate out. As an undrafted guy I could see teams jumping in early in hopes of cutting down the competition after his senior year. He did well in summer camp and has to be on several teams' radar.
                        Max is most likely gone as noted and I worry a bit about Maas leaving before his senior year but not this summer.

Comment

Go USA hockey tonight!!! If they lose, they come home, which means those two Yale players will return to the line up (potentially) Seriously, I hope they win and bring home the gold...it has nothing to do with the fact that Yale could be without two of their top players Saturday night...not that it matters of course, just sayin'....
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It's the bros. vanRiemsdyk night as Carolina plays the Flyers. JvR just scored to make it 4-3 Carolina (who had been leading 4-1)
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              It's the bros. vanRiemsdyk night as Carolina plays the Flyers. JvR just scored to make it 4-3 Carolina (who had been leading 4-1)
                              And, Warren Foegeli got a goal. What if......?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                And, Warren Foegeli got a goal. What if......?
                                Sooooo many (too many) 'what ifs' for UNHHockey over the years...sigh. But now I'm thinking...'what now'!! Psyched it's game day and here's hoping for 2 HE points tonight!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X