X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Question: What would be the feasibility/possibility of red shirting Matt Dawson? Or, in the event it comes down to it, Benton Maass? That was a discussion of interest at yesterday's Monarchs game amongst us fans....hmm...
    As far as Dawson goes … without trying to be insensitive, why bother? Clearly he hasn't fit into UNH's plans on defense for the last two seasons. Is that going to change between now and next season? Why hold up the future development of your defensemen for someone who's been found wanting?

On Maass … is his injury situation that bad? He's played 11 games already, and Grasso had played 12 games last season before he went out, so it would probably be a close call. But that would leave him out of the rest of the season, which I'm not sure is necessary? Maybe something I should have followed more closely, but unless he's got a long term issue, why do it?

BTW - just to clarify, did Grasso get a medical redshirt last season? I thought he did, and the roster on the UNH website lists him as a soph, but the UNH roster at USCHO shows him as a junior.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
      Pardon my ignorance, but how do you red-shirt a guy (Dawson) who's played all 4 seasons? As for Maass, since he's a '98, you could just send him back to the USHL for the last half of the season, which would probably be his preference (so he plays). But don't count on him coming back to UNH hahaha..... In any event, what's your end game? Who takes their place?
      Well, I dunno just a thought...I have no idea!!! Prob just an unrealistic idea....have no 'end game' but we do have some D coming in, and seem all set in that dept... Happy New Year!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-01-2019, 11:16 AM.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Yes Grasso did get a medical red shirt (as far as I know) As far as Dawson goes, I didn't think it was feasible just something a few of the fans were throwing around...you (Chuck) make a good point about where he would fit in with what we have, and what we have coming in...Also was discussed was the Filip Engaras situation...some had 'heard' he would be showing up shortly!!! That's a more urgent question I'd love to have answered...fwiw dept.

And congrats to Angus Crookshank HE's "Rookie of the Week"!
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-01-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

The Engaras question is maddening, at least to me. Mostly because no one will just ask Coach Souza point-blank, "What's up?" There are people in the press whose job it is to get answers for their readers. Then again, nowadays there seems to be some question about the true role of the media, and whether it is acceptable for someone in the media to carry someone else's water. Perhaps Souza's boss has made it known that this question is verboten, lest it cause embarrassment on the part of the school? There have been other past eligibility issues over the years at UNH, and those details have all eventually been disclosed to the general public, yet this one seems shrouded in secrecy. And the longer it's gone on, the less I believe it's down to fan and/or media indifference.

If anyone has any inside scoop, send it along on the QT and I'll pass it along to WIS Undercover Special Ops to get to the bottom of this international mystery ...
          Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-01-2019, 11:29 AM.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Grasso is a RS Soph according to UNH program
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Maass was "questionable" for Sunday nights game per Souza's press conference last Thursday. I would assume we will likely see him this coming weekend.

Comment

Matt Dawson stats
                15/16, 35 games, 4+6=10 points
                16/17, 39 games, 0+2=2
                17/18, 4 games, 0+0=0
                18/19, 8 games, 1+1=2

Dawson played behind Gildon, Mass, Wyse, Boyd, Marks, and Chanter (latter two 0+5=5 points each) in 17/18

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  The Engaras question is maddening, at least to me. Mostly because no one will just ask Coach Souza point-blank, "What's up?" There are people in the press whose job it is to get answers for their readers. Then again, nowadays there seems to be some question about the true role of the media, and whether it is acceptable for someone in the media to carry someone else's water. Perhaps Souza's boss has made it known that this question is verboten, lest it cause embarrassment on the part of the school? There have been other past eligibility issues over the years at UNH, and those details have all eventually been disclosed to the general public, yet this one seems shrouded in secrecy. And the longer it's gone on, the less I believe it's down to fan and/or media indifference.

If anyone has any inside scoop, send it along on the QT and I'll pass it along to WIS Undercover Special Ops to get to the bottom of this international mystery ...
                  Well part of the issue is it’s an NCAA ruling and maybe he (Souza) can’t talk (much) about it. Heck emailing Al Pike is easy enough to ask him to ask the Q...but I’m thinking we will know soon about his Wildcat debut.

And not to fan the rumor flame I’m not sure it’s entirely about our original thoughts...😉

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Matt Dawson stats
                    15/16, 35 games, 4+6=10 points
                    16/17, 39 games, 0+2=2
                    17/18, 4 games, 0+0=0
                    18/19, 8 games, 1+1=2

Dawson played behind Gildon, Mass, Wyse, Boyd, Marks, and Chanter (latter two 0+5=5 points each) in 17/18
                    Ok I get it but tell me what’s the diff between red shirting Boyd last year then? He was a Senior as well? Just a convo piece anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Ok I get it but tell me what’s the diff between red shirting Boyd last year then? He was a Senior as well? Just a convo piece anyway!
                      As an outsider I’ll take a stab at it for you

To me UNH looks young this year especially on defense. Boyd brings significant experience to table. (As long as he’s put in role he is meant to fill) Then the $64,000 question—what type of scholarship deal did the staff work out. I suspect since getting grad degree has a lot of value for a guy not likely to have much of a post college career in hockey he’d jump at a token piece to get degree and to play longer A win-win for both Boyd and UNH

As an Aside some of the same theory holds to letting Dawson comeback. First is it correct to assume he’s gotten a token scholarship at best in his 4 years? Assume he wants grad work, is willing to foot bill why wouldn’t the team want a 5th year physically mature 23 year old to if he’s agreeable be your 7 or 8 Defenseman. Again it lets him play (to a degree) longer because he too does not appear to have a long pro career in his future.
                      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                        Connecticut 3-1 over Yale today. Hmmm.
                        No excuse to lose to UConn, but Yale was without two best D-Men at world juniors and the UConn goalie absolutely stole the game, along with 5 posts hit by Yale. Heading up to Durham for my first visit, should be fun.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Medical Redshirts are different from regular red-shirts. The Grasso discrepancy exists because, technically, medical red-shirts are not applied until after the player's senior season - they are an 'extra' year, not a red-shirt year. The real term is a hardship waiver...

UNH did the math - and they were correct, where I was initially mistaken, about the ability to round down the percentage - and Grasso qualifies. They list him as a R-SO, and I don't think anyone at the NCAA really cares, but in reality he is a JR with an extra year available. I assume UNH has reached out to confirm with the NCAA that he qualifies when the time comes. If so, they appear on the ball in this one...

Boyd's hardship concern came two years ago - with his season cut in half due to his illness. So he was still set to return for his true senior season when the issue occurred. I have no idea what the plan was for his fifth year - I imagine UNH expected to keep both he and James Miller - considering that when Miller left they needed to jump on MacKinnon and bring in a spare in Hickey, but it's possible if Miller stays they're still in the market and Boyd graduates and moves on (a la Adam Clark)...

I would think UNH adding a third D recruit for next season (Eriksson), along with McElhaney and Bahn means Dawson is gone. Remember, his games played number is so low because he wasn't playing despite being healthy to start the season. Even if Gildon departs early - UNH will have Wyse, Maass, MacKinnon, Verrier, Hickey, Erikkson, McElhaney and Bahn next year. That's eight (and at least 7 scholarship). Tells me Gildon and Dawson are likely to leave. The alternative option would be McElhaney missing so much time with an injury of his own and possibly being deferred, but I wouldn't expect it unless Gildon surprises and stays for his junior season...

If Maass is out the year, he'll qualify for a fifth year when the time comes. It's not a decision that has to be made now. If he's healthy to play - I play him. He's unlikely to play that fifth year even if he qualifies for it. Assuming he plays his four true years, his NHL Draft rights expire that summer and I'd imagine someone would want to sign him as a UFA. That assumes he doesn't have a breakout JR season and sign with the Capitals, who wish to avoid potentially losing him as a UFA, the following year...

If Ref's Engaras hint is correct and it's not an eligibility issue due to professional games - it may be as I stated during the first half, an academic issue. Which could be no fault of his own - it could be a CORE course requirement, a foreign placement test concern or any other transcript issue. That's why I posted in the recruiting thread to keep an eye on the first game after the second semester begins. The problem could be sorted out with a semester in residence and college class work.

January term begins tomorrow, I don't know if that counts or not. I suppose I don't see why it wouldn't. If so, that would put UNH's next game with Merrimack as one to watch. If it doesn't, the spring semester begins January 22 - and would target UNHs game at UConn on Jan. 25th. I think him sticking around the entire first semester indicates he/they think he can play this year. It also probably indicates it was necessary for him (and perhaps a must) that he be on campus to get eligible. If he's not playing by Jan 25, though - forget about it for this season and his NCAA career is at risk, IMO...
                          Last edited by Dan; 01-01-2019, 04:23 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Very good and interesting convo about the possibilities for our Dmen next season (and beyond). Personally I am excited about the future of this team and have come to accept the fact (did not say it was easy...) that players come and go. I like what I see on recent recruiting developments and think we are on the up and up. I've got no crystal ball! Well back to the grind tomorrow but it's not lost on this teacher we are in a short week

Ps...how about those B's today??

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                              As an outsider I’ll take a stab at it for you

To me UNH looks young this year especially on defense. Boyd brings significant experience to table. (As long as he’s put in role he is meant to fill) Then the $64,000 question—what type of scholarship deal did the staff work out. I suspect since getting grad degree has a lot of value for a guy not likely to have much of a post college career in hockey he’d jump at a token piece to get degree and to play longer A win-win for both Boyd and UNH

As an Aside some of the same theory holds to letting Dawson comeback. First is it correct to assume he’s gotten a token scholarship at best in his 4 years? Assume he wants grad work, is willing to foot bill why wouldn’t the team want a 5th year physically mature 23 year old to if he’s agreeable be your 7 or 8 Defenseman. Again it lets him play (to a degree) longer because he too does not appear to have a long pro career in his future.
                              Thanks for coming by and offering this thoughtful posts! I can see your POV regarding Dawson's maturity. And I think he was having a decent year until his injury. Wish him the best and am sorry he's not able to play...

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                                This is also true - and I can't imagine any scenario where Dawson suggested coming back as a non-scholarship player with a chance to compete and get a Master's and UNH said no...

But throwing a wrench in this idea are updated NCAA Transfer rule which, assuming he graduates, would allow him to do this anywhere. He barely played last year. He was in the stands when healthy at the beginning of this season. With three more recent Souza recruits expected to arrive on defense, I'm not sure how much time he sees at UNH next year, barring injury.

So would he be so connected to UNH he wouldn't want to play anywhere else/get a Master's anywhere else? Or would he rather, in a potential last year of hockey, transfer somewhere where ice time is more of a likely possibility?

He'd have to pursue a grad degree in something UNH doesn't offer - but that's not always as insurmountable as it might seem on the surface and there is always the benefit of getting two degrees from two universities/environments. As a British Columbia native, a Canadian university is also a realistic opportunity...
                                Last edited by Dan; 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X