Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

"Freshman Angus Crookshank Cranks Up Scoring for UNH"
    Includes video highlights and interviews
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      "Freshman Angus Crookshank Cranks Up Scoring for UNH"
      Includes video highlights and interviews
      “At least it’s not the Leafs”. Love it!! Score a ton more Angus!!!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Three games into the WJC - and each one further illustrates why Gildon and (NH Native) Reilly Walsh should be on this US Team...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Three games into the WJC - and each one further illustrates why Gildon and (NH Native) Reilly Walsh should be on this US Team...
          That may be absolutely true but I'm glad he'll be skating for us the next few games...(selfishly said of course). Haven't really been paying that much attention except for the twitter posts which indicate was gonna-be-unh phenom Joel F is tearing it up...

On another note (and not to change the convo) I'm excited to be seeing some of you today at either Libby's or the 'Whitt!! Been too long...go 'Cats!!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well hey we’ll take it. Was nice to see the injured return, with Pierson/Kelleher up to their old antics! Another Crookshank goal (he lives to score goals!) Back to the grind with MC and Yale coming to town which is going to be a great weekend test for the 'Cats. Good to see you ‘dc looking forward to the next visit! Was relieved to see Liam Blackburn return to the ice for the third! Good to read that many of our players are on a point streak it's good to see... Sorry you missed it Snively65 hope you feel better...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-30-2018, 09:09 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Well hey we’ll take it. Was nice to see the injured return. Too bad we didn’t get one during the 5 min major. Back to the grind with MC and Yale coming to town. Good to see you ‘dc looking forward to the next visit! Sorry you missed it Snively hope you feel better...
              Apparently the game was on NESN, but I was feeling too lousy even to look for someone with a TV. Sounds like a huge SOG disparity, eh, e.cat?Interesting that Bentley won the even-strength goals game, not that it matters. Hoping to recover in time for the Yale game (no cup cake, 15th in PWR) next Saturday night (Yale one half our our 30th PWR).
              Last edited by Snively65; 12-30-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Not to look past 'Mack this Friday, but Yale will be a big test, even without their 2 at the WJC's....What's our Yale outlook....and, I expect Taylor to start Friday. Over all (despite a shaky 3rd) thought we played well given the layoff. Would be huge to get a couple of W's heading into the HE portion of our schedule esp over a ranked team. Thought there was a decent crowd on hand also last night. Lots of UNH alums from last year (and a few from years past) in the audience. If anyone's heading to Manchvegas to see the Mariners v Monarchs we'll be there; 5 former 'Cats on the ice if I have that right?

Happy New Year!!! Let's Go 'Cats!!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-31-2018, 09:53 AM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So Sunday afternoon was my first trip to The Whitt this season, and before getting to the meat of my post, I want to thank 1932 for the complimentary tickets. It was touch-and-go on whether I was going to be back in time to get to the game, so I'm sorry I missed out on the pre-game activities at Libby's. Thankfully, it was a NESN game, and the line at the Will Call window was much shorter than what looked to be a pretty busy walk-up crowd, so I managed to get seated in time for the intros and the anthem. I also somehow missed out on crossing paths with HR and the rest of the USCHO posse, but I did run into a few familiar faces from my "other" world, plus long-time USCHO poster Scott from the Rochester area. Happy New Year to all, whether I saw you or not.

I thought the energy level in the building was pretty decent - much better than it's been in my trips over the last few years of the Umile Era (oh, and BTW many thanks to HR for sending along the Coach Umile bobblehead - arrived at the WIS Estate this a.m., I'm just waiting for the time-delay switch to trigger a mini-explosion, courtesy of BS35+infinity). Might have been the most people I've seen in the building for at least five years now, and it looked like there had been a specific targeted effort to bring youngsters into the place. When the Jumbotron called for loudness, it sounded like I'd descended into a cave filled with bats, the high pitch of the sound was THAT piercing. The concessions seemed to run out of a few things, lines were pretty long, and the overall impression I got was that the turnout was bigger than expected. So, good on UNH for getting "bums in the seats".

As an aside … I didn't know it was going to be "Hawaiian Night at The Whitt" or whatever it was. As someone who detests the musical mediocrity of Jimmy Buffett - perhaps the least talented performer to emerge from the 1970's, although certainly his marketing/merchandising plan should be enshrined somewhere - I felt like I might have thrown up in my mouth a half-dozen times before the end of the first period alone. It's not often when I look forward to hearing the UNH Pep Band, but last night was one of those nights. But I digress ….

UNH scraped by for a win they needed, and probably should have won more comfortably, save for some excellent goalie play by Pelino for the Falcons, and some less-than-stellar play by Robinson at the other end of the ice. It really was a night where UNH played well enough defensively to have posted a shutout. Bentley's first goal may have been partially screened by Boyd, but it was either near post or five-hole, and one I'm sure Robinson wishes he had back. The second one was definitely a screen, but Robinson's positioning was curious, as I could literally see half of the net uncovered to his right for a shot that pretty much came at him from the center top of the zone (and that was shortly after an extended video review supported a no goal call by Bunyon and crew on another shot where Robinson seemed flummoxed), and the third and final goal was admitted fluky, and never should have happened in the first place, but for an admirable-yet-dumb penalty against Wyse moments earlier. HR says we should expect Taylor to play against the 'Mack on Friday, and I'd have to agree. Robinson did make a couple of nice quick reaction saves, but to me, the jury is still out on him as a legit D-1 starter. Maybe unfair based on one mediocre performance, but I don't think there's any question the Bentley goalie outplayed Robinson by a large chunk, and kept his team in the game.

Defensively … I come to praise Max Gildon, not to bury him. Recognizing that Bentley is not going to be seen as a D-1 team in any way other than on paper, you would expect him to be a dominant force in a game like last night's game. But on top of that, I see a kid who is now making the right decisions routinely, seeing the ice completely, and totally in control of everything every time he is out on the ice - even without the puck. I'm not going to relitigate the captain selections for this season, as it looks like a harmonious and hard-working team out there, and Vela is getting himself in good positions in the dirty areas out in front of the opposition's goal. But Gildon looks like and acts like the leader of the team out there, and my call for him to have been selected for a letter this year would not have been a mistake, if pursued. And under the heading of "timing is everything", Gildon is exactly the type of defenseman UNH could have used back in the glory days, when they were knocking on the door of the big tourney. It'd be great if we could expect him to stay two more seasons, especially with some of the emerging talent on this year's roster. But that's not usually how it works these days, and it's a shame for UNH fans. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Wyse … took an admirable-yet-dumb retaliation penalty in the 3rd period, otherwise looks like a great complement to Gildon when on the first pairing, or when he's heading up a second pairing with one of the other guys … MacKinnon impressed me more than Verrier, which caught me a little by surprise … Boyd is Boyd, good enough as a 3rd pair guy on a decent D-1 team, and I think Hickey got an early shift or two, then disappeared for the balance? But as a group, the defense kept chances away from the slot, moved the puck well, and played well enough to win, even to possibly have earned a shutout. Encouraging, and if we are lucky enough to have Gildon back next season, an area of true strength on what could be a contending team.

I spent most of my time watching the new players up front, and Crookshank impressed me slightly more than Pierson, although I think both scored, and it was nice to see Grasso scoring as well. A definite uptick in talent level from recent recruiting years, although getting virtually all of their goals on the PP was a bit of a red flag. Maybe the most impressive thing I saw was down the stretch, when it never felt like Bentley ever got anything established in their attacking zone despite being within a goal of a tie. UNH's team defense locked things down nicely, and Coach Souza seemed directly engaged in talking with his guys after a late timeout, which was a breath of fresh air, compared to the usual approach from his predecessor.

I don't want to make too much of any aspect of this game - it's a NC game right after the break, and one UNH was expected to win (and did), and despite the scoreline, they won it surprisingly comfortably. But it seemed like there was positive energy in the building for the first time in awhile, and that has to reflect favorably on Coach Souza and his staff. And it's important not to forget, these games after the break have more often than not been pitfalls for past UNH teams. The team put on a good show in front of a good crowd, and that's a good start to what seems to be a promising rest of the season. Time will tell, we'll see.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Robinson was not good yesterday, but has been great for much of the season. It is no coincidence he still owns a .924 save percentage (good for 17th in the nation).

More than content to keep a roatation going - but if Robinson continues his trend of mixing one bad performance with nine elite outings, I'm cool with that too...

The Bentley kid played well, but his SPCT is still just .887 (71st nationally). Bentley came in with one of the worst PKs in the country, took a lot of penalties. UNH took advantage of both. A loss would have been problematic. A dominant win (score withstanding) was expected and they got it. Good to see...
                    Last edited by Dan; 12-31-2018, 12:10 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Apparently the game was on NESN, but I was feeling too lousy even to look for someone with a TV. Sounds like a huge SOG disparity, eh, e.cat?Interesting that Bentley won the even-strength goals game, not that it matters. Hoping to recover in time for the Yale game (no cup cake, 15th in PWR) next Saturday night (Yale one half our our 30th PWR).
                      That's what 7 PP'S will do for ya 65.

Looking forward to taking in the Yale game. Eli(hu) is coming or something like that! Haha!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Not to look past 'Mack this Friday, but Yale will be a big test, even without their 2 at the WJC's....What's our Yale outlook....and, I expect Taylor to start Friday. Over all (despite a shaky 3rd) thought we played well given the layoff. Would be huge to get a couple of W's heading into the HE portion of our schedule esp over a ranked team. Thought there was a decent crowd on hand also last night. Lots of UNH alums from last year (and a few from years past) in the audience. If anyone's heading to Manchvegas to see the Mariners v Monarchs we'll be there; 5 former 'Cats on the ice if I have that right?

Happy New Year!!! Let's Go 'Cats!!
                        Connecticut 3-1 over Yale today. Hmmm.

Thank you from Emily and me for the gifts for Cole! He will be one styling little ‘Cat! Good to see you and the hubby last night.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Had a chance to catch up with the Margel family before the game. I think we can chalk him coming to UNH as a big win for UNH recruiting given his other suitors. (Sorry, could have gone to the other thread, but I’m lazy).

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Sorry you were under the weather last night. Your doppelgänger was there last night, though, but I realized it wasn’t you after seeing that he was not wearing a Bentley cap.

Comment

Question: What would be the feasibility/possibility of red shirting Matt Dawson? Or, in the event it comes down to it, Benton Maass? That was a discussion of interest at yesterday's Monarchs game amongst us fans....hmm...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Question: What would be the feasibility/possibility of red shirting Matt Dawson? Or, in the event it comes down to it, Benton Maass? That was a discussion of interest at yesterday's Monarchs game amongst us fans....hmm...
                                Pardon my ignorance, but how do you red-shirt a guy (Dawson) who's played all 4 seasons? As for Maass, since he's a '98, you could just send him back to the USHL for the last half of the season, which would probably be his preference (so he plays). But don't count on him coming back to UNH hahaha..... In any event, what's your end game? Who takes their place?

Comment

Working...
                                X