This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

With apologies to Dan, for a slightly edited title for the new thread.

Carry on; bring on the Bentley Falcons.

Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

American Hockey, Atlantic Hockey - as a fan of a powerful HE unit, who can keep track!

In all seriousness, if UNHs recent results are supposed to reflect any actual changes then the next two games have to be W's. They better not be overlooking anyone. I hate that your Falcons are in the way Snively, but it must be done.

MC and Bentley are currently 53 and 55 in the PWR - and if UNH loses these two they'll likely wind up back in the 50's, themselves, and a potential stepping stone season takes a big hit...

Even with a pair of wins, expectations of a resurgence should be tempered. These are two struggling opponents. Taking care of business against the bottom 10% of teams in college hockey would be a pretty small step forward, though certainly a step nonetheless...

---

Regarding the AHC - I have tickets to Army at Air Force and I cannot wait. The conference and the teams have come a long way and can play with anyone on any night. Let's hope not this night for Bentley/UNH...
    Last edited by Dan; 12-22-2018, 08:45 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      American Hockey, Atlantic Hockey - as a fan of a powerful HE unit, who can keep track!

In all seriousness, if UNHs recent results are supposed to reflect any actual changes then the next two games have to be W's. They better not be overlooking anyone. I hate that your Falcons are in the way Snively, but it must be done.

MC and Bentley are currently 53 and 55 in the PWR - and if UNH loses these two they'll likely wind up back in the 50's, themselves, and a potential stepping stone season takes a big hit...

Even with a pair of wins, expectations of a resurgence should be tempered. These are two struggling opponents. Taking care of business against the bottom 10% of teams in college hockey would be a pretty small step forward, though certainly a step nonetheless...

---

Regarding the AHC - I have tickets to Army at Air Force and I cannot wait. The conference and the teams have come a long way and can play with anyone on any night. Let's hope not this night for Bentley/UNH...
      Here is my final post to our last thread, which I am surprised that the bot let me post, as technically the thread should have been closed, but provides some context for Dan's comments.

Do you mean Atlantic Hockey, Dan?

UNH was either too snakebit by their 6-2 loss to RIT at the Albany regionals in March 2010, or just plain too snobby to play AHC teams from the 2010/2011 to the 2014/2015 seasons. But, if Chuck is correct, the quest for the NRN got the better of BS35+7 and Dick, which led to a 3-3-1 record against AHC teams over the next three seasons: 2015/2016 season (7-3 win against AIC, buzzzzz, and 5-4 win against Bentley), 2016/2017 season (5-1 loss to Bentley, 2-2 tie against Sacred Wallet, and 3-0 win against the 'Hurst), and 2017/2018 season (4-3 loss to the US Army). All games at the Whitt, after the debacle in Albany in March 2010, so not a stellar record against AHC teams.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, on pretty much everything in here.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Yale will likely be down two defenseman for UNH's third post-break contest. As both Kemp and St. Ivany make the WJC team. So, a 3-0 start to the second half should be the goal at this point...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Yale will likely be down two defenseman for UNH's third post-break contest. As both Kemp and St. Ivany make the WJC team. So, a 3-0 start to the second half should be the goal at this point...
            … not that I disagree with you in the least, but I remember a lot of us had similar thoughts about what the early January 2018 schedule looked like for UNH at this time last year. It didn't quite work out that way, though. So, considering where the program is right at this moment, even two wins out of those three games would still arguably be maintaining some carry-forward progress, results-wise. Using verbiage from the end of the Umile Era … UNH is still closer to being the cupcake, rather than the consumer of cupcakes. The best thing we can realistically hope will happen over the duration of this season is the residual stank of the last few seasons can start to be dissipated. It won't be easy, but the last few pre-break weekends have created some hope, which is a nice thing for a change.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              … not that I disagree with you in the least, but I remember a lot of us had similar thoughts about what the early January 2018 schedule looked like for UNH at this time last year. It didn't quite work out that way, though. So, considering where the program is right at this moment, even two wins out of those three games would still arguably be maintaining some carry-forward progress, results-wise. Using verbiage from the end of the Umile Era … UNH is still closer to being the cupcake, rather than the consumer of cupcakes. The best thing we can realistically hope will happen over the duration of this season is the residual stank of the last few seasons can start to be dissipated. It won't be easy, but the last few pre-break weekends have created some hope, which is a nice thing for a change.
              Hope is a good thing...maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies. I posted that awhile ago and this is how I’m looking at our ‘Cats right now. Lots can happen in a hockey season. These next few games can serve as a catalyst for something bigger down the road. Let’s see what happens.

Merry Christmas to all!!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The audacity of hope. I still say that the Wildcats had best not look beyond the Falcons.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  The audacity of hope. I still say that the Wildcats had best not look beyond the Falcons.
                  How’s this for hope? I hope they whoop ‘em 5-0... (and to be clear...the 'Cats that is!!)
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-24-2018, 09:38 AM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    I agree - nothing would surprise me, from 3-0 to 0-3 or anything in between. And certainly the Wildcats can't overlook anyone. The actual goal should be to focus on, play and win these games one at a time, but from a fan perspective it's OK to look at the season in stretches.

It's not that I think they will win these three games - it's thinking they SHOULD. Merrimack is awful this year - giving up over 4 goals a game (with massive goaltending problems) and scoring less than two. The game is at home - with plenty of room available on the ice, as opposed to a road game at Lawler. That's the biggest must win of the three. Conference game aside.

As Chuck points out - you either beat a struggling Bentley or you are the struggling team. Bentley has got them in the past and has wins over BC and a one-goal Harvard loss on its recent resume - so it's hardly a dunk, but if we're to even consider the idea that UNH is changing it's gotta be a win.

Yale is probably still a pretty good team without Kemp and St. Ivany - neither of whom I ever expected to actually make the WJC team. They'll still skate four regular upperclass D. They may still be the favorite in this game actually, even depleted and with UNH at full strength - but it's a much more winnable game than it was a few days ago. If UNH is on the upswing it's a game there for the taking...

Either way it's a stretch likely to set a second half tone. UNH wasted its mid-season cupcake party last year and didn't win a game the rest of the way (despite a 6-1-1 first half stretch that indicated a 'certain' turn-around). If they want to make hay down the stretch, they need to make hay out of the gate...
                    Last edited by Dan; 12-24-2018, 01:45 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

No points by three UNH ALUMS in 'canes 5-3 win against B's last night, BUT they totaled 5 SOG, e.cat!

Comment

Wildcat Game Day....(Revisited, read to the tune of "Night Before Christmas") hope I didn't forget anyone!!

It's Wildcat Game Day and all through the 'Whitt...
                        They're preparing our house for 'Cat fans to sit!
                        And all through the place, one thing was real clear,
                        It wouldn't be long 'til (insert fav team) would soon be here!

Coach Souza you know he woke with a start,
                        for he knew that his boys must play with their heart
                        So he summoned his team from their short winter break,
                        It's time to get movin', there's no time to waste!

Show us the way Captains Marcus and Ara!
                        Motivate this team as fast as you can!
                        On Brendan on Charlie on Jackson and Ko,
                        We're movin' up the Pairwise, oh don'tcha know?

On Joey on Chris on Eric and Ryan
                        Skate hard to the net always keep tryin'.
                        On Frankie on Liam, Filip and Max,
                        Carve up that ice just like it was wax!

Go Patrick, go Joe, Ty Taylor and Drew
                        Be very proud to wear that Wildcat Blue!
                        Go hard to the net Angus and Justin,
                        We're gonna give that visitor a Wildcat bustin'.

Be tough on the blue line Will, Anthony, Benton and Rich,
                        Join in on the rush and do what you wish!
                        Matt we do miss you and hope you'll be back
                        It's just not the same without you in the pack.

Mikey, Joe and Ty won't you stand on your heads?
                        Without you our season would surely be dead.
                        Here we go Wildcats make us real proud
                        As your fans we promise to be loud.

Show those other teams whose boss right from the start,
                        Come on 'Cats let's play from the heart!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-24-2018, 07:40 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Wildcat Game Day....(Revisited, read to the tune of "Night Before Christmas") hope I didn't forget anyone!!

It's Wildcat Game Day and all through the 'Whitt...
                          They're preparing our house for 'Cat fans to sit!
                          And all through the place, one thing was real clear,
                          It wouldn't be long 'til (insert fav team) would soon be here!

Coach Souza you know he woke with a start,
                          for he knew that his boys must play with their heart
                          So he summoned his team from their short winter break,
                          It's time to get movin', there's no time to waste!

Show us the way Captains Marcus and Ara!
                          Motivate this team as fast as you can!
                          On Brendan on Charlie on Jackson and Ko,
                          We're movin' up the Pairwise, oh don'tcha know?

On Joey on Chris on Eric and Ryan
                          Skate hard to the net always keep tryin'.
                          On Frankie on Liam, Filip and Max,
                          Carve up that ice just like it was wax!

Go Patrick, go Joe, Ty Taylor and Drew
                          Be very proud to wear that Wildcat Blue!
                          Go hard to the net Angus and Justin,
                          We're gonna give that visitor a Wildcat bustin'.

Be tough on the blue line Will, Anthony, Benton and Rich,
                          Join in on the rush and do what you wish!
                          Matt we do miss you and hope you'll be back
                          It's just not the same without you in the pack.

Mikey, Joe and Ty won't you stand on your heads?
                          Without you our season would surely be dead.
                          Here we go Wildcats make us real proud
                          As your fans we promise to be loud.

Show those other teams whose boss right from the start,
                          Come on 'Cats let's play from the heart!!
                          Your best effort yet - Merry Christmas!

Got a hall pass to fly up by myself this weekend, so I’ll see you Sunday!
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            Your best effort yet - Merry Christmas!

Got a hall pass to fly up by myself this weekend, so I’ll see you Sunday!
                            Contest winners collecting their pints 3 pm at Libby's, DC. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Contest winners collecting their pints 3 pm at Libby's, DC. :-)
                              Haha and with the big Libby’s gift cert son got me for Christmas guess who’s buyin’? See you guys then!! 😉
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X