Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone miss CCHA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    MTU is better off because they have a better team. The JR era teams would suck in the nWCHA too.

    I agree it is nice to be in the same league as the Marquette Teachers College and Tech Jr. for the UP rivalries, but I prefered the later start times when they played the western teams.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Along with Mel, came massive funding increases for the program. It helps a lot when you actually have a competitive recruiting budget!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

      That, I didn't know. Watters told me he was only getting 600k a year and Omaha was at 1.1M a year.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

        Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Along with Mel, came massive funding increases for the program. It helps a lot when you actually have a competitive recruiting budget!
        Who is this Mel you speak of? Are you thinking of Marv Parson?

        Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

          Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Who is this Mel you speak of? Are you thinking of Marv Parson?

          Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          Now now, Mel did good for MTU and are still on that trajectory

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            You can roll your eyes, but there have been rumors of one folding for a couple years now. They are not in good shape like they were seven years ago.
            You can have your rumors, I’ll keep the facts.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

            —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

              Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Obviously not a ND fan but I think ND joined the B1G as with 3 former CCHA schools in and with the addition of Penn State, Minnesota and Wisconsin it at least on paper created a power conference and was a good fit for them overall.
              They were sick of flying to every single road game in HE. Big 10 was a geographical fit. Bus to Lansing, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Madison, Columbus
              Last edited by Go___Tech_Gold; 12-20-2018, 04:42 PM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

                Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Does Alaska want to split up again, or do most of the people there prefer being in the same conference?
                Who would possibly want to split them up again. WCHA and CCHA were at parity and therefore split the prize/burden of subsidized Alaska travel.

                Don't see the "WCCHA" breaking into 2 conferences. With 10 small school teams there would need to be so much expansion that the conference can't handle it (at say 14 teams or 16)

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                  They were sick of flying to every single road game in HE. Big 10 was a geographical fit. Bus to Lansing, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Madison, Columbus
                  They fly to Minneapolis & Hockey Valley. Madison or Columbus depends on scheduling. Ann Arbor & Lansing are usually bus trips.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                    Who would possibly want to split them up again. WCHA and CCHA were at parity and therefore split the prize/burden of subsidized Alaska travel.

                    Don't see the "WCCHA" breaking into 2 conferences. With 10 small school teams there would need to be so much expansion that the conference can't handle it (at say 14 teams or 16)
                    The Alaska schools don’t want to be split. No conference wants to have both.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

                      Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      They fly to Minneapolis & Hockey Valley. Madison or Columbus depends on scheduling. Ann Arbor & Lansing are usually bus trips.
                      Yeah, not everyone has that kind of cash. Even when I was a single guy who a great engineering job, that kind of trip was still spendy.

                      For the price of a trip to Columbus, I could have gotten tickets and hotels for all other Minnesota schools combined. Without taking a day of vacation.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Yeah, not everyone has that kind of cash. Even when I was a single guy who a great engineering job, that kind of trip was still spendy.

                        For the price of a trip to Columbus, I could have gotten tickets and hotels for all other Minnesota schools combined. Without taking a day of vacation.
                        This is a big reason I am scared the Big Ten may have damaged college hockey beyond repair (to what it was at least), and I think many people are scared of admitting that as a real possibility.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          MTU is better off because they have a better team. The JR era teams would suck in the nWCHA too.
                          This

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            The Alaska schools don’t want to be split. No conference wants to have both.
                            I might be in the minority but I kind of liked it better when we were split. More variety coming in to each barn over the season, and the whole WCHA/CCHA rivalry back in the day was fun. Mudholing them in the Sully in 2010 after they crowed the entire season at us about conference superiority is still one of my favorite sports memories, followed shortly by Shyiak losing his mind the next night while we took home the hardware for the first time in several years. That trophy has lived in Fairbanks ever since.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

                            —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              I might be in the minority but I kind of liked it better when we were split. More variety coming in to each barn over the season, and the whole WCHA/CCHA rivalry back in the day was fun. Mudholing them in the Sully in 2010 after they crowed the entire season at us about conference superiority is still one of my favorite sports memories, followed shortly by Shyiak losing his mind the next night while we took home the hardware for the first time in several years. That trophy has lived in Fairbanks ever since.
                              I agree, I had no problem being in separate conferences. We would still be playing each other four times a year, unless the early season tournaments both returned. The conference affiliation just added another twist to the rivalry.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Does anyone miss CCHA?

                                Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                                I agree, I had no problem being in separate conferences. We would still be playing each other four times a year, unless the early season tournaments both returned. The conference affiliation just added another twist to the rivalry.
                                True, same thing either way for AK. What was weird was when Tech and Northern were in different conferences they'd only play each other twice a year instead of four. You have the biggest most exciting possible games right next door, highest attendance (when nobody else is anywhere near that close by) and 2 of those games are left on the table.
                                Last edited by Go___Tech_Gold; 12-21-2018, 03:07 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X