Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Team|Pts|(Wins)|Max|Range|Remaining schedule
    MA 32 (16) 38 1-3 at MC, ME, at UC
    NE 27 (13) 33 1-7 at BC, BC, UNH
    ML 27 (12) 33 1-7 at UNH, UNH, at UVM
    PC 26 (12) 32 2-7 at UC, BU, BC
    BU 24 (11) 30 2-8 at PC, MC, at ME
    ME 24 (10) 28 2-8 BC, at MA, BU
    BC 21 (9) 27 3-8 NE, at NE, at PC
    NH 19 (7) 25 5-8 ML, at ML, at NE

Hard to see how Maine cracks home ice here. Even with a pair of wins that puts them at 28. Northeastern needs only a single point in three games to finish ahead of Maine (H2H) and Lowell needs only one win (or two ties). Providence needs a single win or three ties if Maine gets to 28. More than likely Maine finishes #6 and wins a trip to Lowell, Providence or Northeastern.

The only things guaranteed right now are that UMass will host and UNH is guaranteed to travel for the first round. Everything else is TBD.

Comment

Highlights...
      https://youtu.be/dfEm2wr6mhI

That looked like biggest home crowd of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        On the one hand, BC is 10-18-3. If they had that record and the front of their jerseys said MERRIMACK, that would be a ho-hum weekend.

On the other, it is BC.

I'm on record that Maine, with its resources, should be on average a .500 program. Some years get close to 20 wins and make the tournament, and some years a bit worse. So, on schedule thus far I suppose.
        Hell, I'd take that any day of the week, and twice on a Tuesday.

Thing is, Red has had plenty of time to get even to that relatively modest level of performance, and has not.

I've bled Maine blue for decades now, but -blind loyalty aside- I just don't grasp why on God's green Earth anyone at all seems to perceive that he's making any discernible progress...

There's no empirical evidence of that whatsoever, and I want him gone. Maine can always be irrelevant under someone else; what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          BC is pretty bad. They had no heart, you could tell the whole weekend. But, I think Maine is better than you say or think they are. That said, I will acknowledge they probably arent as good as I or others say or think they are. Depending on what they show me next weekend in Amherst will give me a better idea on what I think they can do going forward.
          I kinda concur, or maybe not.

I do agree that Maine plays hard most every night, and BC's guys all looked as though they shat their breezers, and couldn't wait to get off the ice to have their mommies clean them up. For a team with that much talent..? Effort, >> Maine.

Still, Maine is 43th in the nation re: GPG. That's the Bear's biggest issue. This team isn't awful as a whole, but it lacks scoring talent, and has ever since the last of Whitehead's recruits left.

(Couple-three snipers..? Then Maine might have a shot at an AL bid, even with the rest of the current crew in place. Right now, no way in the world. None.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Hell, I'd take that any day of the week, and twice on a Tuesday.

Thing is, Red has had plenty of time to get even to that relatively modest level of performance, and has not.

I've bled Maine blue for decades now, but -blind loyalty aside- I just don't grasp why on God's green Earth anyone at all seems to perceive that he's making any discernible progress...

There's no empirical evidence of that whatsoever, and I want him gone. Maine can always be irrelevant under someone else; what's the difference?
            There is limited improvement as the season has progressed. Maine is 9-5-2 in 2019 and finished with the first winning February in Gendron's tenure. March and the playoffs have not been kind so we'll see how the team responds down the stretch.

Comment

long as you guys have Swayman playing well, which he does often, you have a chance any given series (including playoffs).
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                There is limited improvement as the season has progressed. Maine is 9-5-2 in 2019 and finished with the first winning February in Gendron's tenure. March and the playoffs have not been kind so we'll see how the team responds down the stretch.
                Yeah, but most of the good teams have been in Maine's rear-view for a while now, and Blue lost the large majority of those games. I suppose you could call that "limited improvement", but it's really no better than last year.

Most glaciers move faster than has Red's program.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  long as you guys have Swayman playing well, which he does often, you have a chance any given series (including playoffs).
                  YES INDEED....they will need and have to ride Swayman as far as he can take them...when in the zone he's there best player that gives then a solid chance at winning...he can steal a series and after last years lost to Providence I think that experience was big.

Comment

Nature is all screwed up. It turns out the Goose is now a Shark. Go figure.

Nyquist got traded to San Jose

Comment

I'm shocked that nobody is mentioning how terrible the fourth line is/was. I was at the game Friday night and I felt as though the puck was in defensive zone every single time that line was on the ice. I watched Saturday's game online and it was the same exact thing. At best, they eat up some time while dumping and chasing the puck. I guess I will never understand Red's infatuation for Perez.

Overall, this team is playing well right now. The top line is one of the best in Hockey East when they're on their game. Paired with Swayman, they give Maine a chance to win every time they're on the ice. The third line of Westerlund - Shea - Smith has also turned into a pretty solid third line that brings it every time they're on the ice.

Only time will tell how far they can go, but I think a trip to TD Garden this year would be a good step in the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                        I'm shocked that nobody is mentioning how terrible the fourth line is/was. I was at the game Friday night and I felt as though the puck was in defensive zone every single time that line was on the ice. I watched Saturday's game online and it was the same exact thing. At best, they eat up some time while dumping and chasing the puck. I guess I will never understand Red's infatuation for Perez.

Overall, this team is playing well right now. The top line is one of the best in Hockey East when they're on their game. Paired with Swayman, they give Maine a chance to win every time they're on the ice. The third line of Westerlund - Shea - Smith has also turned into a pretty solid third line that brings it every time they're on the ice.

Only time will tell how far they can go, but I think a trip to TD Garden this year would be a good step in the right direction.
                        Its been mentioned many times on here. Its a 3 line team.
                        Smith played well this weekend.
                        Last edited by NorthMike; 02-25-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          Nature is all screwed up. It turns out the Goose is now a Shark. Go figure.

Nyquist got traded to San Jose
                          Doesn't seem like a good move by detroit.

Comment

Don’t change a winning team. Maine has done well since they have been together.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The 4th line is and has been awful almost all season. I agree that they are seemingly pinned in the D zone within 15 seconds of taking the ice, no matter where they start. I feel bad for Quinlivan as I think he plays reasonably well as an individual most games but hes just stuck with Hock and aPerez. Speaking of Perez, I think the reason he plays so much is he's a good "room guy" and is well-liked among the players, even though he's painful to watch, based on what I know and have heard about the team anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                Speaking of Perez, I think the reason he plays so much is he's a good "room guy" and is well-liked among the players, even though he's painful to watch, based on what I know and have heard about the team anyways.
                                I assume the reason he plays is because there isn't anyone to replace him with.

Comment

Working...
                                X